Lightning

IC Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IC Pump

I just read a post by "scott015" about his truck not running right. Dons bolt posted that it may be his IC pump. He said, once the truck is started that you should see the coolant circulating in the tank. Mine is not circulating, i dont think.
I take it that the upper hose that goes into the top is the return line??? Does the pump circulate at all times or does the truck need to be hot first. Is there another way to check to see if its working or not? Could it possibly be a blown fuse for the pump?? Which fuse would it be?? Are these difficult to replace if my pump is bad. I cant even tell where the actual pump is located.

Old 03-31-2004, 12:16 PM
when i went out to check mine, i started it up and it wasnt circulating at all.... i then just touched that hose you are talking about and it started... youll know, take the cap off and you will see the fluid moving around...

i dont think me touching it had to do with anything, it was just a coinidence, but for some reason, it wasnt circulating when I first started it up.... ???

Old 03-31-2004, 12:18 PM
hmmm.....
ok- ill go try again and see if it starts working.
I just emailed you, so you can disregard the email.
Thanks

Old 03-31-2004, 12:23 PM
it does not start moving right away, unless the motor is at operating temps. Think there is some type of thermostat on the pump. But you will know if it is flowing... the pump is way to much for the stock system... not enough lag time in the exchanger.

Old 03-31-2004, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99SVT, What makes you *think* the pump is flowing too much?

Rich

Old 03-31-2004, 12:36 PM
The pump doesn't kick in until the temp of the air after the intercooler hits a certain temp (60 degrees I think).

So if its under 60 degrees out and you're not creating boost, the pump won't turn on.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the turn on temp is around 40ish. (not 60)

Rich

Old 03-31-2004, 01:26 PM
Ok- guys, I just went and drove the **** out of it and its not coming on. None of the lines are even close to hot. I poened the tank and was able to stick my finger in the coolant. Its just barely warm. BARELY!!!! I crawled underneath the truck and i have located the pump - Is there a fuse or relay associated with the pump? I looked in the manual and cant seem to find out if there is. Its not listed.

Also- where is a good place for me to look for another one? Should I go with stock or while i am at it is there something better to replace the fatory pump. W/O a new heat exchanger.

This pisses me off to no end!!!!

Old 03-31-2004, 01:50 PM
Anyone???
I just got off the phone with Ford and they want $358 for the pump. Thats crazy!!!!! i asked parts about maybe a relay or fuse location and they said that they dont know that the service dept. would. So I held for a service writer and the woman told me she had no idea what I was even talking about. She didnt know what a L was. This place sells L's!!!!!

SUPERFORDS- where are you????

also: Am i ok to drive like this until i get it fixed as long as i stay out of boost?

Last edited by secstang03; 03-31-2004 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by secstang03
Anyone???
I just got off the phone with Ford and they want $358 for the pump. Thats crazy!!!!! i asked parts about maybe a relay or fuse location and they said that they dont know that the service dept. would. So I held for a service writer and the woman told me she had no idea what I was even talking about. She didnt know what a L was. This place sells L's!!!!!

Have you put a multimeter on the leads to see if you're getting juice?

If you need to replace it they're expensive... its a bosch unit... good stuff, but apparently not good enough if yours broke

If you could somehow find the flow specs you could just do a search for "12V DC water pumps".

EDIT: As long as you stay out of the boost you'll be fine. GTPs run 8-10psi without an IC. I'd monkey with the boost bypass valve. Maybe you can get it to stay open (ie no boost).

Last edited by Sublime; 03-31-2004 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by wydopnthrtl
99SVT, What makes you *think* the pump is flowing too much?

Rich
haven't you seen the way that stuff shoots up in the stock reservoir? way to much for my taste.

Old 03-31-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by secstang03
Anyone???

also: Am i ok to drive like this until i get it fixed as long as i stay out of boost?
Do a search for intercooler pump. There are some photos around for the relay that is in the relay box under the hood near the master cylinder. Your owners manual will have the fuse location.
Mark

Old 03-31-2004, 02:35 PM
Sometimes you can get a vaper lock and it will not circuilate the water. That was a problem on my 03.

Old 03-31-2004, 02:42 PM
Check your owners manual
there is a multi fuse or what ever it is called in the power distrubution fuse box under the hood.

You may have blown one of those fuses, if you did about the only place I have found to get them is at the Ford Dealer

Old 03-31-2004, 03:12 PM
Hey Guys-

I had a problem with my pump in the past...

After tracing some wires and checking voltages, I found that the wire harness plug that signals the pump (and supplies power) had some dirt, and more importantly water, interrupting the circut.

Just had to unplug the connector*, clean it out with electrical cleaner and shop air, then I used dielectric grease to help seal the connection. Problem solved.

*Be aware that the ceramic disc that the pump is wired to will get/be hot as hell, and will cook your hand quick, particularly if the pump is not functioning properly.

This connection is prone to this due to it's location; low in the vehicle and open to splashing etc.

Check it out, might be your problem.

-Andy

Quick Reply: IC Pump