Lightning

It died today

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question It died today

I was coming home today, and the truck shut off.
Going straight.
Got it into N and to the shoulder.
The dash went ----------.
After 10-15 sec. it restarted.
Pulled into a parking lot, battery cables were tight.

No chip - I know some people have had the -------- when the chip was loose.

2001 34.5K miles

It went the the dealer for fogs, marker, oil leak, and smoke last Monday. I called the dealer, he said something about a lose wheel sensor? Why would that make it turn off? They didn't remove battery cables.

Also it seems "down" on power after I picked it up. I have 210lbs of sand in the back. But that should only be like 1 person riding with me.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Check your the fuses under the hood. Check them all real good. There are a couple pcm related fuses that will cause that to happen.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:11 AM
Get your battery load checked, Autozone, Kragen, Napa or wherever. Happened to me coming home once in the dark on a mountain road. No PS or brakes, lights real dim. Died, pulled over waited for a while. Started again, ran fine for a day or so, then, did it again.

Factory battery is dependable, on average for 24 to 36 months, after that it is a crap shoot as to when, not if, it will fail.

Good Luck

Old 12-10-2003, 12:13 AM
Friends L shut off tonight also. Hit 140mph on the speedo in the Snow tonight, I was in front and looked into the rear view mirror and saw him spin around.

Old 12-10-2003, 02:39 AM
When the computer senses unsafe running conditions like if you were getting on it pretty hard, it may have shut down as a failsafe. I had a fouled plug before and that was how I could tell, it was getting twords the cold winter months and with the air tempts that low and one semi fouled plug, my truck would shut down at WOT shift to prevent itself from blowing up. If your truck cut out at high throttle this is what I would worry about.

~Toast

Old 12-10-2003, 02:53 AM
I was only going about 40MPH. No WOT.
I will check the battery at work tommorrow.

Thanks

Old 12-10-2003, 05:47 AM
PHILLIP SVT

Normally i wouldnt do this b/c I race on the street some and probably drive alot more aggressive than I should but 140 mph....IN THE SNOW? WTF ARE YALL THINKIN? I'm not one to judge or bash anyone on their driving habits but C'MON!

Old 12-10-2003, 05:22 PM
no, the tires were rotating at 140mph, truck was prolly going 30mph.

Old 12-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by 99svtlightning
Check your the fuses under the hood. Check them all real good. There are a couple pcm related fuses that will cause that to happen.
. I move the fuse block, and the lights flash. The main power feed is tight. Back the the dealer it goes.

Old 12-10-2003, 05:42 PM
There are PCM related fuses under the dsash too.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:11 PM
The spade for the 50amp power box fuse was loose.

When I put it back in I tripped the pats so now the truck won't start.

Old 12-11-2003, 01:39 AM
All you need now are two keys for your truck and a locksmith with a machine to reprogram the keys to the pats system on the dash. I totally forget the name of the machine though, star or something like that,,, most locksmiths have them but I'd definately call the shop first. Or you can spend more money and take it to a dealership to do so,, then you'll only need one key to get the job done, but i'm sure they'll charge you a little more,, totally depends on the dealer there. If your pats system is tripped then I dont beleive there is any way around it unless you have the computer and the ford service card to get the job done.

~Toast

i'll post back when I remember the name unless someone beats me to it.

Old 12-11-2003, 01:45 AM
got it,, its an NGS computer with the latest ford service card. I was thinking star because thats what the S stands for in the NGS. Any locksmith will know what to do if you have two keys for it,,, not many are familiar with the one key approach.

~Toast

ps,,, if the pats is not fully tripped and just needs to be reset you can try the old method of leaving the battery unplugged with the headlights on for a good 15 or so minutes to make sure there is no charge left to the computer, then just reconnect everything,,, its been said before that this is a jerry rigged way to reset the pats if that is all that needs to be done.

Quick Reply: It died today