Lightning

Truck is leaking water???

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Truck is leaking water???

I know this sounds like a newbie question but I can’t figure out why my truck is dripping water. I know it’s normal for a car to drip water when the AC is on due to condensation but I haven’t used my AC in a month. It’s a pretty steady drip coming from between the back of the motor and the front of the transmission. It’s definitely water, no doubt at all. I noticed it a few weeks ago but thought it was just residual from some rain.

Is this normal?

Thanks,

Pete

Old 09-25-2003, 08:18 PM
you could have an exhaust leak and it could be dripping out of there. I get water out of my tips sometimes. Good luck. I hope you figure it out.

Vinny

Old 09-25-2003, 08:29 PM
If you have it on defrost the A/C is still on. Just a thought Mike

Old 09-25-2003, 08:34 PM
I keep it on panel and the temp all the way to cold, I thought that is how you keep both the AC and heat off? What settings turn the AC on and off? My truck was at the dealer a few months ago and the wiring harness was replaced due to a problem with my gauge lights. Could they have messed something up so that my AC is always on? How do you know if the compressor is running?

Thanks,

Pete

Old 09-25-2003, 08:37 PM
I don’t think it could be an exhaust leak, wouldn’t it evaporate from driving it? It was leaking after a half hour drive. I hope the dealer didn’t F something up, every time I take it there it gets new scratches and always comes back with a new problem.

Thanks,

Pete

Old 09-25-2003, 09:17 PM
defrost, a/c, a/c/floor and max a/c all turn on the aircon. Can you ramp up the truck and find out exactly where its coming from? My guess is that if its water, it has to be the aircon, theres really no other place for it to come from. If thats the case maybe your dealer wired something up weird. Check the a/c compressor with the truck on and see if the clutch is engaged when you have panel on with the cold setting.

Old 09-25-2003, 09:42 PM
How can you tell if the AC clutch is engaged?

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Pete

Old 09-25-2003, 09:55 PM
i think you can actually see it. I havn't actually looked.

Old 09-26-2003, 07:08 AM
Lightbulb

I KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!!!!

Thanks for all the help, I finally figured out what my problem was.

My AC was on, I had left it in the panel/floor position. I was playing with it this morning and was able to hear the compressor kick on and off as I was testing. There are eight positions for the HVAC control, the following make my AC click on:

Max AC, AC, Panel/floor, defrost/floor & defrost.

The following do not make the AC turn on:

Panel, off & floor

The temperature selector has no effect to the AC in any of the HVAC positions. Is this normal? If so, why the hell would ford design the AC to be on in five out of eight positions? What is the need for the AC to be on for defrost and defrost/floor? That means that when you are trying to melt the ice off your windshield and keep it from refrosting you are running the AC compressor. I do use defrost sometimes in the summer due to humidity but that is in rare cases, 99.999999999999999% of the time I need the defrost function is in the winter.

Aside from that why would the AC click on for panel/floor but not for just panel or just floor settings?

Am I retarded, is my truck retarded or is Ford retarded? Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Pete

Old 09-26-2003, 09:36 AM
Using the ac during defrost,keeps the cold windshield from getting too hot and cracking from the heat.

Old 09-26-2003, 11:09 AM
actually a by-product of the A/C is that it dries out the air. That clears up the windshield much faster... I just wonder why they have it come on when you use PANEL/FLOOR. that seems useless, although it does seem to dry out wet boots after a short while.

Quick Reply: Truck is leaking water???