Lightning

$3.95 DIY Heat Shield for Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 01:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I eased the 2 wires for the air charge temperature sensor through the diagonal slice until the plastic wiring conduit completely plugged the 5/16" hole. The following photo illustrates the final position for the wiring harness:

I re-installed the air filter and tightened everything up for the maiden voyage. This is what the Rubbermaid looked like in its new home:

Old 02-03-2003, 01:19 AM

To make the top edges cleaner, and to ensure a tight seal against the hood, I ran one 3-foot tube of standard foam pipe insulation around the top lip of the heat shield. I hope this stuff is safe - it's supposed to be able to handle some pretty high temperatures when in direct contact with copper tubing, so I hope it will be able to withstand the hot air in the engine compartment without melting (someone please let me know if they think these foam tubes aren't appropriate here. Rubber weather-stripping may be better for this application?). One tube happened to be just enough, but you may want to score the corners to make the 90-degree bends cleaner than mine:

Old 02-03-2003, 01:20 AM
Eh... I know it doesn't look as elegant (the foam doesn't quite follow all the curves of the heat shield until the hood is closed):

Old 02-03-2003, 01:22 AM

That's it! Time Needed: 2.5 hours

Materials Needed:

(1) black plastic Rubbermaid 2956 waste basket
(1) 3' tube of foam pipe insulation (Optional)
(1) pencil or pen to mark cutting guides
(1) Exacto knife
(1) Dremel or similar cutting instrument
(1) tape measure
(1) drill with 5/16" bit
- some paper towels or rags to wipe off dust

CONCLUSION?

Well, all I know right now is that it passes the "Stink" test (the Rubbermaid hasn't melted or disintegrated yet, and only smelled funny for a few seconds after initial warmup). I drove 30 miles at varying speeds (ambient temps around 45 degrees F) and when I stopped and checked, the front side and bottom of the heat shield were cool to the touch, and the back corner was barely warm. I need some temp sensors to get some true scientific readings from inside and outside the heat shield, but I think this little setup is probably helping somewhat. The clearances around the cruise control, expansion tank, and fender well are pretty tight, so if any warm air is being drawn from the engine compartment at any "cracks" - it's got to be way less than using an open exposed element. At the least, it's probably keeping the fan wash out. I didn't feel any change in throttle response, performance, or noise, so that's a relief.

I have one question for those using the JDM cold air intake kit. Are you all using the supplied foam boot? Mine doesn't seem to be doing anything besides further reducing airflow from the fender hole.

All input, comments, suggestions, and flames are welcome. I am happy with my low-budget mod, but I know this heat shield could probably stand some improvement.

UPDATE: FWIW, I finally did get the rubber weatherstripping (from a Dodge Caravan donor - I know I know.... not a genuine Ford part!):

Last edited by BMWBig6; 05-31-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:27 AM
Thats a great idea, I've been thinking about makeing one out of Aluminum, but havn't found the time. With the trash can, I now think I can make something. I have the wider cone style filter, so might have to find a bigger can and modify some. One idea, if the heat does get a bit hotter for the trash can, you might could rivit some flat peices of thin aluminum to the outside, leaving a small air gap between (closest to the motor) and that might block some heat.

Now, I just need some material to have a ram air set up. I've been thinking about some of the RV sewer hose, but not shure how that would be, or the aluminum flex duct for heaters and such. Any ideas?

Old 02-03-2003, 01:29 AM
I want one You need to start making them.

Old 02-03-2003, 01:33 AM
PhillipSVT, you may be on to something. In the spring, I may add some aluminum flashing to the outside as you suggested. I want to take some temp readings to baseline this mod before I do anything else. (Anyone with equipment willing to help out locally?)

I'm not sure which kind of ducting is best. BUt it would be easy to modify this design by drilling a hole in the bottom of the heat sink enclosure and attaching tubing/hosing for the "ram air" setup you describe.

Old 02-03-2003, 01:40 AM
Angry

You totally destroyed that trash can! jk...

Looks awesome, you're as handy in that as you are in photoshop!...Anyone else think this is photoshopped besides me?

Good job!

Old 02-03-2003, 01:46 AM
Congrats man, that is a great idea, ive wanted a cold air set up for a while but didn`t have the extra 200 dollars to buy one. I thinl that you can further improve your heat shield with a fresh air hose running from behind the front bumper to the bottom of your heat shield, to provide more cold air to the filter.

Larry.

Old 02-03-2003, 01:56 AM
....... it looks like someone needs some thing more productive for theyre sundays. lol Anyway, cool idea. But i would definately consider getting a ram air setup into that thing. Based on how you made it (and how handy you are with a trash can) im sure you can make something that actually gives you a decent gain.

At first i thought you were kidding but acutally it turned out quite nice.

Old 02-03-2003, 02:18 AM
Could you post some pics of it? J/K nice job

Old 02-03-2003, 03:23 AM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
makes me want to stop by home depot after i get done working overtime.

[edit]

Hey I got an idea. If you like I can send you a cd of mine (all 99 Lightning street/strip action from yours truly) if you would email the dimensions to me.

I am too lazy to firgure it out (its winter time) and I want to get rid of this extra cd jambpaked with fun times.

Last edited by Tundra; 02-03-2003 at 03:29 AM.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:54 AM
Excellent Job BMWBig6
I like it, I like it, and I think I'm gonna steel your idea for my next one.

Looks a hell of a lot better than my home made first attempt

Old 02-03-2003, 04:56 AM

A full 4" inside dia Pipe was used

Old 02-03-2003, 04:58 AM

Excellent Job
You've given me some great new idea's
Let us know if it holds up over time

Quick Reply: $3.95 DIY Heat Shield for Cold Air Intake