Lightning Concept Please confine your posts regarding the recently unveiled Lightning Concept to this forum. This will make finding information on the current Gen 2 Lightning much easier for our members.

perhaps new info on the Next Gen 3 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
perhaps new info on the Next Gen 3 Lightning

While researching the Sport Trac Adrenalin, I came across this, it seems the new Adrenalin is a REPLACEMENT for the Lightning.

http://www.svt.ford.com/vehicleSportTrac.asp
Click on powertrain

ADRENALIN BOOST: 390 SUPERCHARGED HORSES

The Sport Trac Adrenalin concept vehicle delivers impressive acceleration with its supercharged V-8 and six-speed automatic transmission. But, unlike one-dimensional performance-only sport trucks, Adrenalin builds on the legacy of the SVT F-150 Lightning, delivering acceleration and genuine capability.

“The key to the Lightning's longevity was that its powertrain came in a useful package,” says George Ayres, SVT sales and marketing manager. “What other vehicle can crack the 1/4-mile in 13 seconds, approach nearly 150 mph on a track, and still tow 5,000 pounds or haul a 1,350-pound load? We think that same mix of ultimate performance with genuine utility makes the Adrenalin a perfect sequel to the SVT Lightning.”

Adrenalin follows in the Lightning's footsteps with a supercharged, intercooled V-8. The Adrenalin's 4.6-liter, 32-valve V-8 churns out an impressive 390 horsepower and matching 390 foot-pounds of torque. Power is delivered to the wheels via a six-speed automatic transmission – the first in an SVT product. This heavy-duty transmission, first used in Ford's full-size SUVs, is a key contributor to the Adrenalin's projected 6,000-pound towing capacity. Another first for SVT engineering is all-wheel drive, for improved acceleration and traction.

Supercharged, 390-horsepower V-8 further hones SVT's supercharging expertise

Ford SVT first introduced supercharged engines in its 1999 F-150 Lightning pickup. Its success led to the development of other robust supercharged powertrains, such as the engines that power the 2003-04 SVT Mustang Cobra and the 2005 Ford GT supercar. Thanks to the proven performance and capability of its forced induction V-8s, SVT engineers decided to fit Adrenalin with a supercharged 4.6-liter modular V-8 derived from the 2004 SVT Mustang Cobra.

Even though Adrenalin's 4.6-liter V-8 has less displacement than the Lightning's 5.4-liter V-8, it is rated as producing 10 more horsepower, thanks to multivalve technology. The Lightning cylinder heads feature two valves per cylinder, while Adrenalin boasts high-flow, four-valve heads. They are fed by a Roots-type supercharger, with a water-to-air intercooler to give the blower a denser, more powerful fuel charge. This potent power combination develops 390 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque.

This engine is known for its high-strength internals, thanks to a forged-steel crankshaft, forged pistons and forged “H-beam” connecting rods. As a result, this 4.6-liter V-8 is not only able to withstand the demands of such high output, but the engine is also well-suited to the rigors of towing and hauling cargo.

SVT's first six-speed automatic transmission

Also contributing to Adrenalin's increased utility is the first six-speed automatic transmission in an SVT-engineered vehicle. This heavy-duty transmission was first introduced in the Lincoln Navigator, and is a key contributor to the full-size SUV's impressive towing abilities. Similarly, the six-speed automatic is a key enabler of Adrenalin's projected 6,000-pound tow rating.

Importantly, this electronically controlled transmission is also known for its smooth, precise shifts. In addition, the wide gear ratio span enables the engine to work more efficiently, improving both acceleration and fuel economy.

Performance-tuned all-wheel drive enhances acceleration, all-season practicality
The Sport Trac Adrenalin also features the first all-wheel-drive (AWD) system in a SVT-engineered vehicle. The system addresses one of the key requests of Lightning owners, which has been for additional traction during launch.

“In addition to providing sure footing on slick surfaces, there's a real performance advantage to all-wheel drive,” says Jay O'Connell, SVT chief vehicle engineer. “A longstanding problem with performance trucks was their inability to ‘hook up' from a standing start without excessive wheelspin. This AWD system puts power down through all four tires, helping Adrenalin launch with impressive authority.”

Driving enthusiasts weaned on rear-wheel-drive performance vehicles need not fear that all the “fun” of rear drive has been dialed out. The Adrenalin's AWD system exhibits a 60/40-torque split biased to the rear so, as weight is transferred to the back set of wheels during takeoff, the engine delivers some extra power right where it's needed.

In addition, this system provides the added security and control of four driven wheels for all-season traction and increased practicality in inclement weather.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by l-menace
While researching the Sport Trac Adrenalin, I came across this, it seems the new Adrenalin is a REPLACEMENT for the Lightning.

http://www.svt.ford.com/vehicleSportTrac.asp
Click on powertrain

You're kidding, right? You just found this out?

Thats funny!

Old 01-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by clonetek
You're kidding, right? You just found this out?

Thats funny!
actually, this is the first I've seen from FORD that the adrenalin is replacing the Lightning, so Yes, I suppose I just found out what everyone else has speculated about.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:42 AM
blah.... this thing makes me so dang mad. I literally hate ford for it.

I don't know anyone who thinks the adrenaline looks even remotely good. I don't care if it outperforms the lightning.... it's just downright trashy.

blaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quick Reply: perhaps new info on the Next Gen 3 Lightning