King Ranch

Engine fail safe mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine fail safe mode

I have been reading up on the engine fail safe mode as this has been happening frequently with my '06 F150 King Ranch. I had the throttle body replaced a week later the same thing is happening any where from .5 mi. To 10 miles. This is very frustrating. Took it to the shop and they couldn't figure it out. Said there wasn't any codes indicating fail safe was tripped.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:26 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
If the shop, who could have their hands on the truck can't figure it out, how do you expect any of us to do it when we don't have anything except a vague description of the issue?

Old 11-23-2016, 10:28 PM
No clue, not sure how much more info you need?

Old 11-23-2016, 10:58 PM
Thinking bout the problem more I will try to explain it as it happened.
The problem with the Faisal safe mode first started about 6 weeks ago when I was pulling a trailer. On inclines the truck would shutter and hesitate a little, the RPMs would drop anit felt like it was going to stall, then there was a surge in power and toward the top of the hill the engine fail safe came on. As I was four hours from home I drove the truck back when the fail safe mode came on I would restart the truck on the fly.
I took the truck to the shop close to my home (1/12 hours away) The performed a diagnostic test and told me the Throttle body was bad and needed to be replaced. A week later The throttle body was replaced. I took the truck home and the following weekend my sons went hunting. When they returned they said the Engine fail safe came on three times, two in the back country and once on the black top. The truck sat for three days when I took it to town, there was no problems at this time.
The next day I went to one of the border towns via a country road. The road wasn't graded and particularly rough in spots. The engine fail safe mode came on once going to town on the dirt road. On the black top it ran fine. On the same dirt road on the return trip about 1/2 way or approximately 13 miles on the dirt road the engine fail safe mode came on. And while on the dirt road continued to engage about avery 3 miles or so. On the back top back to my home it ran fine.
I took the truck to an appointment I scheduled with the shop. Truck ran fine for about 25 miles then engine fail safe engaged. From that point engine fail safe engaged three more times then it shuttered, hesitated like losing power engine failed safe warning came on but I still had power. When giving fuel or letting off the accelerator the truck would shutter a little and sounded a little ragged, like it wasn't firing on with all cylinders. Drove the remainder of the way 60 miles to the shop with no more restarts.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:32 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Make sure it's not the engine overheat failsafe cutting in. Any codes?