King Ranch

Rain soaked seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rain soaked seat

I have a 2006 KR that I have owned for about 9 months and absolutely love. I have lurked on this forum for some time now but my first post comes out of slight desperation!

I left the driver's side window down last night and it POURED. I actually expected the damage to be much worse. The weathertech mat contained the water on the carpet pretty well, the dash was completely dry, and the center console only had a few drops. So lucky there!

But the driver's side seat bottom is SOAKED. Also the steering wheel is very wet. Both are a very wet dark brown. I have tried patting it with towels to try and pull out any water I can but that isn't working to well. While I get a little water I also get light tan coloring that I assume is being removed from the seat. Additionally color from the steering wheel is rubbing off on my hands a little as well as on my pant leg when I climbed in and out.

Lastly, I drove it a little while today and all the electronics were working. I tried using the seat heater and a towel on the seat to soak up a bit more.

Any tips on minimizing the damage here, especially to the seat? The seats are in excellent shape for their age but I have done little to no care for them in the time I have owned them. Once I get over this hurdle I will plan on cleaning the seats extensively but that is for another day.

I did see some suggestions on using Craft Customs to re-wrap the steering wheel. That is the route I expect I will have to take next month after this mistake...

Old 11-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
You can try to blot the water up. I would not "rub" the leather. After that, try to leave the truck in a sheltered area with the windows open to help drying. Water by itself should not hurt the leather, but rubbing it or sitting on the seats with them wet probably will.

Once dry, the leather CAN be refinished, if necessary.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Rain soaked seat