King Ranch

Steering wheel wearing..

Old 09-10-2014, 07:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel wearing..

I have a 2010 King Ranch, seat leather is all in good shape, but the top portion of the steering wheel is really showing wear. It's rough, and no matter what conditioner I use, it doesn't help. I really would like to replace the top leather portion with wood grain, it should be possible to DIY, any ideas?

Old 10-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine was really beat up when I got my '06 ~2 years ago. I think it's the UV from the sun that makes it so. I used the king ranch conditioner on it several times and while it's a LOT softer now, it still looks very worn compared to the rest of the wheel.
When I start worrying about things like this I remind myself "it's a truck" and move on.
I suppose, if you live in a state allows it, a very mild window tint applied to your front window could stop this process from continuing.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every King Ranch ever has had this problem. Un(der)-protected King Ranch leather is highly susceptible to oils in your skin and constant friction from your hands sliding back and forth on it. The 09+ leather is worlds better for this than the 08 and back. As much as I'd hate to do it, I'd probably just get a Browning steering wheel cover, or something similar, depending on how bad yours is.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read somewhere that banana peel insides work well for conditioning raw leather.
This probably sounds nutty, but I softly smeared the insides of a fresh banana peel on mine. It dried and felt nasty. A few hours later I took a damp cloth and wiped it, likely rewetting the banana insides, but also removing sticky dried feel. I didn't think anything of until this post, but the rough area does feel softer now, several months, after the application. It's still visibly cracked, but the cracks that used to more sharp are now much softer.
Obviously, try this at your own risk, just because it worked for me doesn't mean it won't cause yours to catch on fire and burn down your entire truck.
FYI, I had used the king ranch conditioner on it several times, but it always felt the same afterward.
From what I read, it's something about the potassium in the banana peel that makes it work.

Last edited by slo5oh; 10-13-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel wearing..