King Ranch

Really crappy treatment from Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really crappy treatment from Dealer

I own a black pristine 2003 King Ranch that I bought from the original owner who kept it garaged and serviced it faithfully it's whole life. I wanted one when it was brand new but couldn't afford it at the time. I think it's one of the most beautiful trucks ever made. My plan is to keep it forever since I believe it is a future classic collectible. For that reason, I thought it would be best to keep servicing it only at a Ford dealer since they presumably know it best. Big Mistake. About 10,000 miles ago, it started briefly shuddering right after sitting all night and would quickly smooth out, but not before kicking a check engine code that showed a misfire on #4. Took it to the local dealer. Was told it needed a new coil on 4. While they were in there, they said, let's do a fuel injection flush, throttle service, fuel filter replacement and replace all 8 plugs. I want to give my baby the best care so I agreed.
Bill was $888.50. Few days later, starts shuddering again on startup and kicks check engine light which reads misfire on #4. I go back to the dealer and the service guy says they'll take a look. I have to rent a car while they have my truck which costs $58. Get a call at end of the day saying come pick up the truck. Service writer tells me problem is " Somewhere deep in the engine" and therefore can't be diagnosed without taking it apart which he doesn't recommend because truck has 167,000 miles. Tells me they can put in a new engine for $6500. Oddly, he says there is no charge for this diagnoses. I say thanks, I'll think about it. I start shopping around to see I what engine replacement options are out there which leads me to an independent mechanic with a great reputation. He looks under the hood and says all of the coils look old except #1, which appears to have been recently replaced. He replaces # 4 coil and plug and the truck runs like brand new again. Now at 180,000 with no problems. Really disappointed by the " New Ford Motor Company." Appears they don't give a damn about helping you maintain your older model. I was willing to pay whatever they asked to preserve my truck, but now they've lost me forever.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:27 PM
There's a reason they're referred to as stealerships.. Glad you got it sorted out though. I always prefer to go to mom and pop shops that have good reputations, they're cheaper and they fix what needs to be fix without throwing a bunch of parts at it first.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You'll have that

Old 11-09-2013, 04:31 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
I'm sure glad my local Ford dealership is competent. They haven't screwed me yet.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:19 PM

I'd go back to that dealership with the info that the independent mechanic gave you. And receipts for what he did. That dealership committed fraud, stole from you, illegal.

Quick Reply: Really crappy treatment from Dealer