Sticky Steering Wheel HELP!!! - F150online Forums



King Ranch

Sticky Steering Wheel HELP!!!

Reply
 
 
  #1  
Old 05-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 214
Exclamation Sticky Steering Wheel HELP!!!

So, the owner before me...for some reason...put one of those steering wheel covers from Autozone on it.

I took it off and now the steering wheel is sticky! I have applied Mothers leather care to it multiple times over my year of having it so far but it continues to remain sticky.

Does anyone have any ideas or help of how to get this fixed? It's really annoying and makes my hands sticky and makes me not want to touch the leather of the steering wheel...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-31-2012, 05:17 PM
Rockpick's Avatar
F150online
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 31,434
Was there some kind of adhesive or something on the cover that was left behind on the leather?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitha6 View Post
So, the owner before me...for some reason...put one of those steering wheel covers from Autozone on it.

I took it off and now the steering wheel is sticky! I have applied Mothers leather care to it multiple times over my year of having it so far but it continues to remain sticky.

Does anyone have any ideas or help of how to get this fixed? It's really annoying and makes my hands sticky and makes me not want to touch the leather of the steering wheel...
Try a little GOO GONE on it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpick View Post
Was there some kind of adhesive or something on the cover that was left behind on the leather?

Thats what i dont know, thats the only thing i can guess.

Ive thought about goo gone but im.afraid if what that may do to the leather itself.

I kinda want to get a steering wheel from another truck or from an 06 or whatever F250, because those are tge same and tgey have tge steering wheel controls and i coukd hook those up to my new HU.

I just want it not sticky!! Lol
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-04-2012, 02:56 PM
KingRanchCoy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 3,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitha6 View Post
Thats what i dont know, thats the only thing i can guess.

Ive thought about goo gone but im.afraid if what that may do to the leather itself.

I kinda want to get a steering wheel from another truck or from an 06 or whatever F250, because those are tge same and tgey have tge steering wheel controls and i coukd hook those up to my new HU.

I just want it not sticky!! Lol
goo gone is real oily and i wouldnt put it on my leather wheel... have you tried the spa treatment? Hot rag with water and let it soak on the wheel
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy View Post
goo gone is real oily and i wouldnt put it on my leather wheel... have you tried the spa treatment? Hot rag with water and let it soak on the wheel
No, I havent...I may try that
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-10-2012, 01:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 430
I have a sticky steering wheel too,, due the leather not being well taken care of. I just put a steering wheel cover on it. Most are slip on covers. Not even sure that spa treatment would work if your wheel is anything like mine. BLACK CRACKED LEATHER!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-10-2012, 02:09 AM
Patman's Avatar
Global Moderator &
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DFW
Posts: 20,000
my XLT leather steering wheels get tacky when its really humid, or my hands are wet. I think its the leather delaminating, its not looking too good
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-10-2012, 01:33 PM
KingRanchCoy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 3,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.R.newbie View Post
I have a sticky steering wheel too,, due the leather not being well taken care of. I just put a steering wheel cover on it. Most are slip on covers. Not even sure that spa treatment would work if your wheel is anything like mine. BLACK CRACKED LEATHER!!!!
The spa treatment will work for the black but your screwed with the cracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman View Post
my XLT leather steering wheels get tacky when its really humid, or my hands are wet. I think its the leather delaminating, its not looking too good
Mine does the same and even the gear shifter is tacky when humid.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 214
Tried the Spa Treatment and Leather CPR and it's still sticky.

Looks 100% better but its just still sticky...idk what to do, I may just keep adding Leather CPR to it every now and then or maybe do the spa treatment often and see if that begins to help....

any other suggestions would be great.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,193
You may want to look into Leathermaster products - I was using their analine cleaner/conditioner products for some time with very good results (pricey though)... I also used their wax-on product on my console - worked well and may fix your sticky wheel.... call them & discuss...

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Depa...-Products.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 565
my steering wheel is completely ruined. I saw on ebay one time somebody was selling wood grain (plastic, who knows) steering wheels that were adapted onto the king ranch core part of the steering wheel. They were super nice and then you just mailed them back the core of the one you took off and they refunded you a bunch of money. Does anybody know about where i can find this type of thing to replace my steering wheel thats on it now?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Welsford, NB
Posts: 6
I have soem stickeyness when it gets wet, bein a horse owner i often have to get in my truck soaked, it gums up real bad and gets dirty easy.. I have been using mild baby wipes on my wheel, it gets real tacky right after wiping down but once dry it is nice and smooth and shiney again, its worth a try
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10
Find a used steering wheel from the same truck online. Or, if you can find one with wood wrap on it that would swap over, that'd be aweosme too. I installed a King Ranch one in my 04 Expedition Eddie Bauer, and like the steering wheel SO much more than the worn out leather I had.



Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
crazynip
Interior Care
1
12-30-2015 10:44 PM
drunderw
Suspension
9
08-21-2015 11:04 PM
bobcat54s
2009 - 2014 F-150
0
08-16-2015 11:24 PM
2008_XL
Suspension
14
08-11-2015 03:46 PM
crazynip
2015 - 2016 F-150
4
07-23-2015 10:33 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:43 AM.