King Ranch

Plan to visit King Ranch

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plan to visit King Ranch

If nothing else just to say I have been there. Looking at the website looks like there is a museum and shop to visit, not sure what else to actually see/do.

Planning to fly into Corpus Cristi in early February, and drive to Mission to visit my dad who winters there to get away from our Indiana winters. Anyway, the ranch is on the way, so figured what the heck.

Never been to TX, looking forward to it!

Old 12-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The King Ranch isn't exactly on the way to Mission but it's close enough. The King Ranch is just a shadow of it's former greatness. When Mr Kleberg died he left a lot of the ranch to various people and it's no longer the biggest ranch any where. Still, a sizable spread though. You'll find it's fairly flat country with brush you can't hardly walk thru. It stretches all the way to the coast. When King originally started the ranch, he was a Texas Ranger. A Texas Ranger back in the day was described as an outlaw with a badge. They were not known for taking no for an answer with the right to kill if necessary. This is how the King Ranch got to be so big. The Walker Ranch, which is now the largest ranch in the world, was started by Sam Walker, also a Texas Ranger. If you know guns, the Colt Walker is named after Sam Walker as he and Sam Colt were friends. The upper management of Colt still visit the Walker Ranch every hunting season and usually leave a one of a kind Colt firearm. The collection is seen by few but impressive. Anyway, the King museum is about all you're going to see. Unless things have changed recently no one is allowed on the ranch except ranch employees. If you trespass, you will not be heard from again and the law does not enter the King ranch unless requested by the King Ranch. It's worth the stop if in the area just to see all of the things the King Ranch is noted for. It's a big part of Texas history that is just about gone now. If they offer a tour of the trophy room and you are a hunter, take time to see it. The trophy's there are magnificent. I believe De La Garza is still the game manager there and if you see a chubby Mexican guy wearing that name on his uniform, about 50-55 years old, ask to see things that most don't get to see. Don't know if you don't ask.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Tour is Okay.

I live in Corpus Christi and recently took my parents on the King Ranch tour while they were visiting. The standard tour is about 1 1/2 hours long, they take you around the ranch in a small tour bus and show you the highlights. If you are wanting to see the farming, cattle, or horse operations in detail you need to make arrangements for a special tour. All-in-all it was pretty descent general tour for the money. The KR museum and Saddle/gift shop are not located on the ranch, they are in Kingsville, the little town right outside of the ranch.

If you have any questions about the area let me know.

Dave

Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 AM
They had some neat stuff in the museum.

We ran into one of the sons while at the beach. He was just fishing and so were we. Nice guy

Old 12-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Concur

Sure did. I think we enjoyed the museum and Gift/Saddle shop more than the tour. The G/S shop has a lot of nice stuff as well but you better take your plastic, it's not cheap.

Quick Reply: Plan to visit King Ranch