King Ranch

'06 Power Folding Mirrors Stop Working?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 Power Folding Mirrors Stop Working?

What would make the power mirrors stop working? I have the feature that when you hold back on the adjusting toggle on the drivers armrest, the mirrors are supposed to collapse inward. Mine did, but they don't any more. I would like that feature back! What might be causing this?
Grady

Old 02-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like an electrical issue if both have failed. Have you inspected fuses associated with the power fold system?

Old 02-09-2009, 12:56 AM
i would def say its a fuse or a short somewhere since they both went out. check the fuse first since thats the easiest and cheapest fix

i also have those mirrors and love them.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
And, I recently took that switch apart, thinking it should be lit at night (but it isn't supposed to be after all) and found that all the electrical contacts inside are coated with a heavy layer of anti corrosion grease. I think it would be difficult for the contacts to become oxidized enough to cause the problem.

Is the "adjust" feature of the mirrors still working? I don't have my owner's manual here with me so I don't know if that feature uses the same fuse.

( I just had a thought - you MAY want to ask your question on the Electrical forum. There's a guy over there who goes by the name "SSCULLY" that will probably have all kinds of good suggestions).

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 02-09-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Suggested using the Electrical forum
Old 02-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Sorry Guys,
I have been away for a few days. Here's the rest of the story...
I appear to have a problem in the toggle itself. The mirrors will adjust (move) when the toggle is manipulated so that indicates there is power through the system. The toggle will not however either retract the mirrors or even more interesting, will not do anything when the toggle is pulled backward. One would expect the mirrors to respond by turning inward toward the truck side when the switch is pulled back, but nothing happens. To the right, to the left and up functions work fine.
Does anyone know the anatomy of that switch well enough to tell me whether I can go in and simply reattach a loose lead or something? If not, does anyone know of a boneyard where I could get one out of a wreck? I have to guess this switch is not propriotory to the King Ranch and is probably a part common to f150s.
Thanks,
Grady

Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Moderator &

With the functionality to cause the mirrors to retract, it *may* be specific to the KR. I know that there are some guys that have done the power fold mirror mod in the 2004+ forum. You may dredge a bit there to find a part number. If you don't find it there, drop Torrie an email at torrie@fastpartsnetwork.com and ask for a price (be sure to mention that you're not sure if this is a KR-specific product)...

Before you order, I'd pull out the handy 12v tester light and start playing with some wires while toggling the switch around. Maybe it's the switch -- maybe it's a loose wire.

Lastly, I'd check with SSCULLY (he dwells within the electrical forum). He's a guru with circuits and can likely help out.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Last week I had my 06 King Ranch at the dealer for the same problem. Mirrors would not fold in and they would not adjust down. The would go left and right.

The service manager said it was a bad switch. He ordered one and replaced it.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:56 PM
KingRanch 101
Has your switch been replaced at this point and if so, is your problem solved? Your answer will greatly influence how I proceed.
Thank You,
Grady

Old 02-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Grady,

Just saw your message.

2 parts to the power fold option, The switch, and the power fold module ( when done via the factory ).

I jsut got done taking my mirror switch out of my '06 Lariat, and from what I can tell ( correct me if I am wrong ) the power fold option is enabled when the switch is in the center ( locked ) position, and you press forward on the switch ( same switch movement if you were moving a mirror up ).

My switch takes power on pin #1 to pin #4, which pin #4 goes to the power fold module.

test #1 : Use a meter and test for continuity when you press up on the switch, between pin #1 and pin #4. These are both on the side of the locking tab, both outside pins. If you have an extra hand it will be easier, then trying to hold the probes, and press the switch the correct direction, but it can be done solo ( I got mine to test after some playing with holding the probes in one hand, and the switch with my ring finger and piny on the same hand )

If this tests good, time to test the power fold module.

Get some think wire that will fit in the connector ( truck's harness ) and jumper pin #1 to pin #4. My connector looked like 2 rows of 5 pins, but the outside pin slots were empty on the truck's harness, and no pins in the mirror switch.

If you get a good momentary power trigger between pin #1 and pin#4, the power fold should happen. if not, it would be time to dig into the power fold module, which is towards the bottom of the driver's side C-pillar, looks just above the seat belt retractor.

Hope this helps, let us know what happens.

BTW : my mirror switch has a part number on it of 5L3T-17B676-AA3, but when I searched by PN, I got nothing on the trademotion site I was using.

When I trolled the catalog, there is only 1 mirror switch for all new body MY '04 - '07

2006 - Ford - F150
Mechanical catalog -> Electrical -> body electrical -> mirrors -> mirror switch ( and it is 28.30 MSRP, online was 20.21 at the site I checked )

Last edited by SSCULLY; 02-11-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: add in mirror PN info
Old 02-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Thank You,

I will run the diagnostics you prescribe this weekend and report back to you.

Grady

Old 02-12-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by grady95
..<snip>... I have the feature that when you hold back on the adjusting toggle on the drivers armrest, the mirrors are supposed to collapse inward. ..<snip>...

Don't forget to verify this part ( can do today )

..<snip>....the power fold option is enabled when the switch is in the center ( locked ) position, and you press forward on the switch ( same switch movement if you were moving a mirror up ).
This action on mine is what caused power to be sent to the circuit to the power fold module. I tried the other direction, and pin #1 to Pin #4 did not make contact.

Just a difference I found reading the thread again today

Old 02-21-2009, 10:02 PM
SScully, RP, et.al:
Please accept my apology for leaving this thread in limbo.:o I value and appreciate the spot-on information provided, and have every intention of utilizing it to diagnose and solve this problem. A significant challenge has surfaced however which has trumped my wish to work on the truck.
We are trying to sell our house. As we are all painfully aware, that is an unenviable task in this current economic climate. After months on the market, a young family came forth ready to buy our home. We had their deposit, we had a signed purchase offer, and we were in the last stages of securing the closure of the deal. As usual, the buyer brought in a home inspector which we welcomed. The inspector began upstairs inspecting his way down. When he arrived in the basement however, he opened the gates of Hell. Unbeknownst to us, we had a foundation wall buckling in. There was insulation on the wall and, having never removed that insulation ourselves, we had no idea of the problem. Our would be buyer freaked out, we ultimately let them out of our contract, and then we began the process of solving the problem. This meant a full excavation of the earth in front of the house down to the slab in the basement, removal of the entire west foundation wall, (13 courses I might add), reconstruction of the wall, replacement of the earth, a cursory attempt at re-landscaping in the dead of a Rochester, NY winter, and re-listing the house for sale.
Needless to say, one is left with the task of prioritizing where to spend one's time and resources. The truck is an important and pleasant diversion, but in the scheme of things right now, does not warrant any energy or enterprise.
Again, please accept this explanation as a justification for not reporting back with updated information of the progress of the work on the mirrors. We don't always dictate the course of things. I am simply unable to divert my attention to the needs of the truck right now. That in no way however is meant to minimize the appreciation I feel to you for providing the guidance to solve the problem.
As soon as I can, I will follow these suggestion and report back with results. Sorry for the delay. Please stand by.
Thank You,
Grady

Old 02-21-2009, 10:14 PM

Grady,

No problem at all, this is on your schedule.

Hope all turned out well with the work on the house, it is not easy digging into frozen ground, let alone tenting the area to be worked for curing.

Good luck with re-listing the place, don't know if the couple was interested in looking again, now that the repairs are done.

Steve

Old 02-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Moderator &

wow... good luck, man. No worries. We're small potatoes compared to that issue.

As a guy who just signed the final papers on selling my house TODAY, I can absolutely relate to the joys of selling & all the disclosure stuff.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Congratulations to you on selling. DO NOT allow your buyer to have your home inspected! Just tell them everything is fine and not to worry. They'll believe you! Just give them that "you can trust me" look.
I will hire the nastiest inspector in town next time I sell and have him go through my house well before we go to market so I can identify and eliminate problems like this proactively. What a sucker punch this was.
Grady

Quick Reply: '06 Power Folding Mirrors Stop Working?