Introduction Forum Introduce yourself to the Community here! If you have a technical question, try posting it in the appropriate forum.

back to the truck world

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post back to the truck world

Hello All, I'm Matt. I live in Beaver Dam, WI. for some reason my first intro post never got posted...so lets try this again.

As you can see in my sig I was a former member of the site when I had an 04, which I ended up selling thanks to my son who was on his way at the time. 5 years later here I am again, this time I didn't want a truck payment so I found a 02 Screw 4x4 for my limited budget ($1,400). And we all know nothing is cheap unless something is wrong with it. Well, its loud, probably needs some manifold work, has some rust on the door bottoms and tailgate. Anyways, I wanted to say HI. I have been doing a lot of reading already trying to figure out to start with this beast. My plans are that I will get it so that it is RELIABLE truck. And then from there I will start to make it my "dream truck" that my son will get to buy from me when he can drive in 11 years (at least that's the plan). So yeah, kind of like a long term project truck that is my daily driver. Not in a hurry to make it look pretty until I make sure its running like a champ. It came with 243k on the odometer, an interior that looks new, believe it or not I was shocked when I seen how perfect it looks. Lots of information on here, and when people say check the sticker on the door jam I get frustrated since mine is so worn out you cant make out the letters or numbers on it.

So I come home with the truck, 2 days later the check engine light starts flashing and the brake light has been on since I bought it. brake light I'm not to worried about I know it needs some brake work because even on dry smooth pavement after depressing the peddle to stop the abs kicks in and the peddle goes soft. I still stop, it just takes awhile. I will be hooking up a scanner to the truck this afternoon but from what I've read that means its a misfire. depending on the codes hopefully I can get by with just a spark plug change or maybe a coil pack. I am in no way in the same realm of anyone the slightest bit mechanically inclined. I was never given that gift, nor have I watched or preformed anything mechanical. unless changing the oil on a car or rotating tires is considered mechanical skills. Here's to hoping this is not an expensive fix to make the truck purr like new, or at least be reliable

ok now I'm just rambling. I will get some pictures up as soon as I take some, I've only had it a couple days. it was my Christmas present to myself. maybe the worst gift ever, but at least I have a truck again after driving a chevrolet uplander for the last 5 years.

Thanks for taking time to read my intro.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:51 AM
testing.....

here she is....

Old 12-29-2016, 08:52 AM

Last edited by RightTurn; 12-29-2016 at 09:22 AM. Reason: double post
Old 12-29-2016, 08:54 AM
sorry for the double post... still trying to figure out how to delete a post...

Old 12-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Welcome back! good looking truck.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:21 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
still trying to figure out how to delete a post...
You can't, all you can do is edit it.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
As a native Minnesotan who now lives in Texas it is always a shock when I head back home and see all the vehicles with cancer like that! Yes -- June, July and August really suck down here, but at least there's very little rust to deal with which makes the "car guy" in me very happy through all the beads of perspiration.....

Old 12-29-2016, 11:01 PM
Welcome! Nice looking truck. Bought an '02 somewhat the same as you... in the middle of doing a ton of body work (mine was wrecked vice rusted). Fun/frustrating hobby for sure. Hopefully yours isn't as full of little demons as mine and good luck on the tinkering.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:07 AM
the engine light issue has been solved..... loose wire connection on one fuel injector. plugged it back in and TADA.