Introduction Forum Introduce yourself to the Community here! If you have a technical question, try posting it in the appropriate forum.

New guy from SC

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy from SC

Hello all,

New to the forums, been linked here a few times by the great google before and decided to sign up as I'm sure I'll need some expert advice and help over the next few months. Bought an 02 supercab lariat with FX-4 pkg. about a year and a half ago; spent the majority of the time between buying it and now overseas so finally getting going on transforming it from wrecked beater back to an off road warrior.

So far we are looking at ABS sensor replacement, front bumper replacement (only the valance was broken by the previous owner, rest was bent, just replacing everything on the front end from the hood down), new LED head lights and fogs, power steering pump and hoses. Going to add some fender flares, bull bar, tube steps, and a tool box and probably call it a day there.... but... we shall see. The more I tinker with things the more great ideas I get so who knows.

Thanks in advance for the advice and help

Old 12-23-2016, 01:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the site! Thank You for your service, Semper Fi.
The front of your truck is interchangeable with several years of expedition and of course F150. If you need a rear abs sensor try cleaning it off first. Then tend to pick up gear wear and throws them off. Good luck!

Old 12-23-2016, 04:59 PM
Did a holly-jolly power steering pump today; was easier than expected especially the flush; figured out if you get it all plumbed up except for the pressure line from the pump to the steering and cap the end off gravity does the rest. I just kept pouring fluid in until it came out clear. Also joyous news all the bumper parts arrived today (wasn't expecting them until after Christmas). I think the wife is going to make me wait until Sunday to open them though.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Welcome! Good to have you hear and it sounds as if you are having a good time getting that truck going again.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Welcome! Good to have you hear and it sounds as if you are having a good time getting that truck going again.
I wouldn't exactly call it "fun" ... but there are worse things I could be doing. So far the replacement/fix list is as follows:

New bumper brackets, bumper, top trim, valance, fog lamps (upgraded to halo), header panel, headlights (upgraded to LED/Halo's), power steering pump and all hoses, removed old fender flares (one was ripped off already in previous accident) and replacing with Bushwacker street flares, added a tool box, adding westin 3" black tube bars, pulling off the hood and repainting as well as repainting both front quarter panels... looks like I will be doing some work on the cooling system as well in the real near future... replacing the tailgate latch handle... lemme see if there is anything else on the laundry list

This is what it looks like right now... the proverbial "work in progress"

Attached Thumbnails New guy from SC-img_1426.jpg  
Old 12-30-2016, 09:42 AM

Last edited by RightTurn; 12-30-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by mpstover
I wouldn't exactly call it "fun" ... but there are worse things I could be doing. So far the replacement/fix list is as follows:

New bumper brackets, bumper, top trim, valance, fog lamps (upgraded to halo), header panel, headlights (upgraded to LED/Halo's), power steering pump and all hoses, removed old fender flares (one was ripped off already in previous accident) and replacing with Bushwacker street flares, added a tool box, adding westin 3" black tube bars, pulling off the hood and repainting as well as repainting both front quarter panels... looks like I will be doing some work on the cooling system as well in the real near future... replacing the tailgate latch handle... lemme see if there is anything else on the laundry list

This is what it looks like right now... the proverbial "work in progress"
wow ok, so I typed yup a nice reply an all, and hit post and nothing goes through. so I guess I will try it this way.

Hi Mpstover, looks like you are further along in your project than I am in mine. I was thinking about going with the same headlights, it was those or chrome lights with a smoke lens. The 02 Silver trucks seem to be much lighter in color the Silver 04+s.

Anyways, good job with your projects so far. keep up the motivated good work. since I fixed my engine miss next on my radar is exhaust!

Old 12-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Ah! Forgot the exhaust! There was one thing I left out... I have that on the list and shipping this way as well. Nothing fancy for me; the previous owner cut it off right before the muffler so I ordered a SIDO set up with flow master super 44 and 2.5in pipes. Came as a kit pre-bent/clamp together but I think I'll have a friend weld it just to be sure.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:19 PM
Been working

Got some parts and paint, been busy. New header panel installed, new bumper/brackets/valance/trim all on the truck. Got the proper upper radiator mounts and cover about to go on and the headlight surround and grille finished today and going on tomorrow. Installed the exhaust, flushed the tranny, pulled the old fender flares off and have the bushwhacker street flares ready to go one once I do some bondo and paint work. Put on some nerf bars... heater core, blend door and actuator, and airbags left.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:53 PM
Some pics of where we are... The valance/trim and fender flares were done with Rustoleum rattle-can bed liner spray. Made it all the same color, was easy to apply, and has a nice texture with a little sheen to it.

Waiting to finish the grille/headlight surround to snap this in; was missing both the upper radiator support arms as well as the plastic cover

New header panel and bumper/trim/valance on

The rattle can rustoleum bed liner stuff is pretty neat. Put three coats on all the plastic parts; hopefully it holds up, if not its a cheap fix.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:44 PM
Looks great

That bedliner spray really did the trick! Looks great.