Introduction Forum Introduce yourself to the Community here! If you have a technical question, try posting it in the appropriate forum.

Hi all! Brand new F150 driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all! Brand new F150 driver

I traded my '03 Explorer for an '14 F150 STX last month. I have a pretty short list of (mostly aesthetic) upgrades. Love reading through the posts and seeing all of the pics of everyone's trucks.

Mine's a tuxedo black v8 STX with black cloth interior. I've already plugged the bumper hole with the Ford piece and swapped out the chrome headlights for the blacked out Raptor ones. I also pulled the giant bed stickers off. There are some pics under my profile.

I'd love to hear some suggestions for mods. I like to tinker and this is a blank canvas. I'm going to go for black-black-black. Not a fan of color, and definitely not a fan of chrome. I'm staying away from the performance mods until my warranty is up, but I'm interested in some of the things you all have done for looks.

Planned mods include the following:
Setina PB400 push bar (on order)
All new badges from CTS (trying to decide on a color, currently leaning toward black with black chrome if he can do it)
A.R.E. Z-series cap
Spray in bed-liner (Line-X seems to be the preferred vendor 'round here)
Appointment for window tint is set, 30-35 % I think.

So, anyone have thoughts?

Old 08-21-2014, 12:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice rig.. I'm a chrome guy, so can't help you there..

What are you gonna haul in the bed to warrant a hard rubber bed liner, especially with a cap on it??

I put a Bed Rug in my 13 and love it! I don't haul dirt or gravel in it, but I load it with camping stuff and firewood and so far it's been great!

My old 97 had a plastic drop in liner and it was fine for hauling the same stuff I do now, but with the rug, it's just been a much better solution for me.

Anyway, welcome aboard and have fun with it! That's all that matters in the end.

Mitch

Old 08-21-2014, 06:48 AM
Not really planning on hauling anything in particular, but I'm a fan of being prepared. I don't like the plastic liners because I've see what happens when water gets under them. How's the Bed Rug when it gets wet?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:44 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Welcome! Post a pic or two when you can.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:57 AM

Here's a pic with the new headlights.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Very nice!

Old 08-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Here's a shot of the back. Had a slight issue installing the DS light. The leading edge rubs and scraped off some of the bed paint. Anyone have issues with this when installing an OEM taillight? I was thinking that a gentle file of the light would alleviate the rubbing.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 08-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DamonOwens
Not really planning on hauling anything in particular, but I'm a fan of being prepared. I don't like the plastic liners because I've see what happens when water gets under them. How's the Bed Rug when it gets wet?
It dries.. Supposed to be able to hose it out as needed too. I've got a tonneau cover on it that has yet to come off, so it's not gotten soaking wet yet.

I had a plastic liner for over 12 years on the 97 and the bed was already beat to hell (hence why the dealer put in a brand new liner.. ) so it didn't really matter to me and I never took it out while I owned it, so never saw the actual bed anyway..

The Rug is padded and easily vacuumed or broomed out. Stuff does not slide on it.. I just toss my toolbox in the back and it essentially stays put, unless I really take a sharp corner..

Anyway, not trying to 'sell' you on it... They are expensive.. Mine was just under $500, but at least I can take it out of the truck easily!

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 08-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Nice looking truck. Sounds like a solid plan so far.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the site... Enjoy the ride... Great looking truck...

Old 08-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Nice truck. There's a thread in here or the F150forum where folks have painted the outside edge of their tail lights to get rid of that white ring around them. Looked like a fairly easy DIY job if you're trying to go for a blackout kinda look.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Found it

I found that thread and will definitely be doing this. Thanks for the direction!

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/painted...easy-do-88981/

Originally Posted by wickedzeus
Nice truck. There's a thread in here or the F150forum where folks have painted the outside edge of their tail lights to get rid of that white ring around them. Looked like a fairly easy DIY job if you're trying to go for a blackout kinda look.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Setina PB400 Body Guard

Finally arrived and installed!

Quick Reply: Hi all! Brand new F150 driver