Weathertech Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weathertech Issue

As the photo below shows I am having an issue with the Weathertech floor liners in my 2014 FX4 (specifically the driver's side since I don't have many passengers)

While the Weathertech liner is a perfect fit to the contours of the F150's floor, what I believe is happening is the water from the mat runs down the edge onto the sill as it's designed to do, but rather than continuing on to the exterior of the vehicle it is transferring across the sill plate to the carpeting which obviously acts as a sponge. Very frustrating considering that this is exactly what these mats are supposed to prevent?!?

Note that this picture is taken after one week of use; I cleaned the carpeting, sill plate and Weathertech mat last weekend. Before claiming into my truck I make every effort to knock as much crud off my boots as I possibly can.

I will stop into the Weathertech warehouse in Burlington next week if my schedule permits to discuss with them, but I'm curious if any other forum members have experienced a similar issue and what you might have done to correct/prevent it.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I never quite fully understood how that apparent design works because once the door is shut, weatherstripping locks out any possible air/draft possible. So water is going to ride down and setting/build up until the door is opened.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
I never quite fully understood how that apparent design works because once the door is shut, weatherstripping locks out any possible air/draft possible. So water is going to ride down and setting/build up until the door is opened.
In theory it seems like a good design, but as you point out the weatherstripping on the sill will keep any moisture present inside and onto my carpet.

I guess I should have known better; when my heel finally wore through the OEM rubber mats I had in the Ranger I bought a set of Weathertechs. I had far more water on the floor after switching than I ever did with the OEMs. I may have to look at another brand to see if they have more of a containment lip.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wyseilmykkar_09
In theory it seems like a good design, but as you point out the weatherstripping on the sill will keep any moisture present inside and onto my carpet.

I guess I should have known better; when my heel finally wore through the OEM rubber mats I had in the Ranger I bought a set of Weathertechs. I had far more water on the floor after switching than I ever did with the OEMs. I may have to look at another brand to see if they have more of a containment lip.
I have Husky Liner mats in my car, they are thick and hold the melted snow and salt in the mat pretty well. Just not as clean fitting and 'at home' as the Weathertech liners are.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Okay, so the answer I got from Weathertech was exactly what I expected "sorry about your carpet, not much we can do"

So, I started looking at the Husky liners tonight; could anyone that has them please tell me if the F150 version (2009-2013 series) has a lip at the driver's sill to keep whatever's on the mat from running out? I'm thinking I'd rather have to pull the liners out and dump them instead of having to clean the carpet every week but I'd like to confirm first before I buy another set of mats.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just take an inch out of your weather stripping to allow the water to escape.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:43 AM
Looking at the Husky liners, the X-Act Contour and the WeatherBeater say they have their FormFit Edge. "Our patented FormFit Edge is a raised ridge that runs along the door jam, protecting your truck or SUV from all manner of mess."

X-act Contour

WeatherBeater

Old 02-03-2015, 12:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FL seat cover & floor mat

FR Seat cover & Floor mat

Husky Rear Floormats

I have Husky mats in front and back. I really like them. I bought them in 2008 when my truck was new so the design may have changed since then. They have held up well. Snow/water/debris is contained until I empty the mat.

Last edited by CJB XLT; 02-03-2015 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added info
Old 02-03-2015, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by rednoved
Looking at the Husky liners, the X-Act Contour and the WeatherBeater say they have their FormFit Edge. "Our patented FormFit Edge is a raised ridge that runs along the door jam, protecting your truck or SUV from all manner of mess."
That's what I garnered as well from the website, however the mats pictured are "stock" photos and as such are not necessarily specific to the mat for an F150. I'm hoping to get confirmation prior to purchase; hopefully I can find a shop that has a set in stock that I can look at before buying to confirm what the website suggests.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by CJB XLT
I have Husky mats in front and back. I really like them. I bought them in 2008 when my truck was new so the design may have changed since then. They have held up well. Snow/water/debris is contained until I empty the mat.
Thanks CJB. I could reinstall the factory Ford rubber mats that came with the truck, which are essentially the same as the Husky mats pictured but I'm looking for better coverage of the carpet.

I currently have a $3.00 bath towel absorbing the snow and slush on top of my $ 150.00 weather tech mats which is working perfectly until I find a better solution.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:57 PM
It looks like the ridge is there, but it's hard to tell how large the ridge actually is.

X-act Contour Driver Side

X-act Contour Passenger Side

WeatherBeater Driver Side

WeatherBeater Passenger Side

FWIW. I have WeatherTechs in my truck, so I can't give an opinion on the quality of the Husky liners.

Last edited by rednoved; 02-03-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:50 PM
I just got my husky x-act contour mats for my 2013 f350 because of all the negative reviews of the weathertechs in the superdutys and i couldnt be happier. They are a much softer material like rubber compared to plastic and the ridge along the side is big enough to hold in liquids but not so big that it gets in your way. They fit perfectly also. I would definitely recommend them

Old 02-07-2015, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the info & opinions guys. The Husky's definitely aren't as pretty as the weathertechs, but at this point all I really care about is protecting my carpet.

I stopped in to my local Krown dealer to book my spray and brought up the issue with them as they sell a ton of weathertech. They're going to clean up the carpet while the truck is in and will replace the driver's mat if it's still an issue. I'm not sure what that would accomplish, but at least they are offering me more support than wt did.

Quick Reply: Weathertech Issue