Door trim UV sun damaged

Old 01-18-2015, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door trim UV sun damaged

So I've been researching this for a while. I have the top window ledge of my door panel that's severly sun damaged and chalky white(was black originally). I've seen a few items like Ultima Interior Guard that will help to restore it, but I've also seen the old heat gun trick that seems to bring back the black color pretty easily. Wondering if anyone has had the same issues and their fixes or experiences. Thanks!

Old 01-18-2015, 09:40 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Old 01-22-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish I could say Black Wow worked for me but unfortunately it didnt.

I've used Black Wow, Mothers Back to Black, Forever Black, Black Again, Griots Bumper and Trim Reconditioner, Adams In and Out, Meg's HD, Poorboys Trim Restorer and even DP Tire Gel. Neither of them last for more than a couple days or first rain fall. Of all the ones above Meg's HD and PB' Trim Restorer worked best for me but Meg's I find leaves white spots everywhere when it washes off which I can't stand. Now I only use HD inside the wheel wells and undercarriage.

I just try and keep ontop of it and treat the trim often. The door trim is Soo stubborn.

Other ideas and products I haven't tried/used yet is- Heat Gun, Adams VRT, Aerospace 303.

I too would like to know if there's anything else anyone is useing with great results. If not, im Seriously thinking about replacing all my door trim this spring.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by jamesd1977
So I've been researching this for a while. I have the top window ledge of my door panel that's severly sun damaged and chalky white(was black originally). I've seen a few items like Ultima Interior Guard that will help to restore it, but I've also seen the old heat gun trick that seems to bring back the black color pretty easily. Wondering if anyone has had the same issues and their fixes or experiences. Thanks!
I'll have to be honest with you. The heat gun is at best a 50/50 fix. If you're not careful it won't blend in very well. I had MUCH better results on my son's Sport Track by buying a matching spray paint, lightly sanding the panels, wiping them down with nail polish remover, allowing them to dry and painting them. The entire process for all four doors took 30 minutes. They look new.
I had done the heat gun fix first...it didn't look very good to me.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Well I'm gonna round up a heat gun and give it a shot. Thanks for the input. If it doesn't come out like I like, I'll paint or try another method. I'll send along some pics once I do it.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm very sceptical about a heat gun working to my liking, that's why I've never tried it. But interestied in seeing how it worked for you..

I may just remove mine, lightly sand and spray them with some SEM 39143 Trim Black.

If that doesn't work to my liking either I'm just going to replace them. Tasca sells them for $64.64 per door.

Keep us posted

Old 02-04-2015, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by jamesd1977
Well I'm gonna round up a heat gun and give it a shot. Thanks for the input. If it doesn't come out like I like, I'll paint or try another method. I'll send along some pics once I do it.
How was it so far? It could work on small surface.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:37 AM
Did the heat fun trick. It worked decently but was kinda of spotty like someone said earlier. Not the fix I was looking for but does look better. I'll be looking to try something different for sure. My door trim was white and chalky from severe UV damage by my the window. It may work a little better on less damaged areas.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door trim UV sun damaged