Turning off seat belt chime

Old 03-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turning off seat belt chime

Anyone know an easy way to temporarily turn off the seat belt chime. When I'm out on my hunting lease I am constantly in and out of my truck and slowly riding around. It's a PITA to have to keep locking and unlocking the seat belt. But, when I'm back on public roads I want it operating properly.

Would just putting a buckle in the seat side receptacle trick the system into thinking everything is OK or is there a sensor in the coiled up side also?

Old 03-12-2010, 05:52 PM
check your owners manual, on the older body style trucks there is a way to turn the beeper off, it is a series of turning the key and unlocking/locking the doors. not sure about the newer trucks but im sure there is something

Old 03-12-2010, 06:51 PM
I've told many this before... got to the local dealer and ask for a FREE seat belt extender. Plug it into the driver seat side receptacle - beep is gone forever until you remove it. (Assuming you're alone n the truck) It tricks the system into thinking the belt is buckled! Keep it in your console and use it when you're hunting, don't when you want things to work as normal, unless you just want or need a little extra room in the belt.

Last edited by Smokin Lariat; 03-12-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat
I've told many this before... got to the local dealer and ask for a FREE seat belt extender. Plug it into the driver seat side receptacle - beep is gone forever until you remove it. (Assuming you're alone n the truck) It tricks the system into thinking the belt is buckled! Keep it in your console and use it when you're hunting, don't when you want things to work as normal, unless you just want or need a little extra room in the belt.
Thay give them away FREE ? ? ?

Old 03-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Owners manual will tell you.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by XtremeBawls
Owners manual will tell you.
Yep, you are so correct. I missed that. Man! what an ordeal you have to go through to deactivate it:
  1. Make sure the parking brake is set
  2. Make sure the gearshift is in Park
  3. Make sure the ignition switch is in the off position
  4. Make sure the driver and front passenger safety belts are unbuckled
  5. Turn the ignition switch to the 'on' position. [ DO NOT START THE ENGINE ]
  6. Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off ( Approximately one minute )
  7. The next step MUST be completed within 50 seconds after the safety belt warning light turns off
  8. For the seating position being disabled, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt NINE times, ending in the unbuckled state
  9. After the above step the restraint system warning light (airbag light) will be turned on for three seconds
  10. Within approximately seven seconds of the light turning off, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt.
  11. This will disable the Belt-Minder feature for that seating position, if it is currently enabled. As confirmation, the constraint system warning light will flash four times per second for three seconds
  12. WHEW ! ! !

They do mention that there is an 8" safety belt extension available ( part number 611C22) from a dealer but don't indicate that it's free.

They do have a warning to NOT insert a latch plate into the buickle to avoid the Belt-Minder chime. They say to do so may adversely affect the performance of the vehicle's air bag system.

With all of that said, they do identify that there is a One Time Disable method:
"If at any time the driver/front passenger quickly buckles then unbuckles the Belt-Minder feature for that seating position, the Belt-Minder is disabled for the current ignition cycle. The Belt-Minder feature will re-enable during the same ignition cycle if the occupant buckles and remains buckled for 30 seconds. Confirmation is NOT given for the one time disable."

The driver and front passenger Belt-Minder are deactivated/activated independantly.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Grunthunter
Thay give them away FREE ? ? ?
My dealer did! And using it is a lot simpler than going thru that 12 step process every time you want to disable the chime.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
When I'm out on my hunting lease I am constantly in and out of my truck and slowly riding around. It's a PITA to have to keep locking and unlocking the seat belt. But, when I'm back on public roads I want it operating properly.
This may be the best reason for turning off the seat belt charm. We would lease hundreds of acres, then drive around from fence post to fence post slowly quietly, so as not to chase away the birds, then that seat belt chime would go off. We also had to remember to pull the key out before opening the door. Heck, we don't even close the door hard.

I've told many this before... got to the local dealer and ask for a FREE seat belt extender. Plug it into the driver seat side receptacle - beep is gone forever until you remove it. (Assuming you're alone n the truck) It tricks the system into thinking the belt is buckled!
May not be the best solution for this because your going back and forth between traveling to the hunt, hunting, and traveling to the next hunt. When your on the road traveling you want to wear the seat belt. The objective is not to disable the seat belt, but to disable the alarm. I know the extender goes on and off quickly, but if you wear the seat belt, then forget to put the extender back in, then you may have the charm going off.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:52 PM
My dealer did! And using it is a lot simpler than going thru that 12 step process every time you want to disable the chime.
The dealer that I bought my truck from is also a member of the same hunting lease I'm on :-) I'll see him this weekend and plan on hitting him up for two seat belt extenders.

I tried the 'one time' method as described in the owners manual but it didn't work. I then started the long method above and it appears the chime turned off about halfway through the process. I've only done the drivers side so far.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:32 PM
The dealer that I bought my truck from is also a member of the same hunting lease I'm on :-) I'll see him this weekend and plan on hitting him up for two seat belt extenders.

I tried the 'one time' method as described in the owners manual but it didn't work. I then started the long method above and it appears the chime turned off about halfway through the process. I've only done the drivers side so far.
The only seat you need to do it in is the driver's seat if you're using the owners manual.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by XtremeBawls
The only seat you need to do it in is the driver's seat if you're using the owners manual.
Unfortunately the owners manual specifically says you have to do the driver and passenger seats independantly. My driver seat doesn't chime now but the passenger seat still does.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Unfortunately the owners manual specifically says you have to do the driver and passenger seats independantly. My driver seat doesn't chime now but the passenger seat still does.
Well that's strange, must have changed it on the newer models.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

The dealer will give you a "FREE" seat belt extender! Just buckle it up and no more chime!

Old 06-13-2010, 09:43 AM
a lot of people disregard how easy this really is...instead of the 12 step system or taking the time to even go to the dealer to get that belt extender (which can possibly mess up the airbag system if it is used too often)....just buckle the seatbelt behind you! SIMPLE AS THAT

Old 06-13-2010, 10:51 AM
i did the 12 step thing to disable the belt minder. that thing got annoying driving from lake to lake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turning off seat belt chime