Originally Posted by XtremeBawls
Owners manual will tell you.
Yep, you are so correct. I missed that. Man! what an ordeal you have to go through to deactivate it:
- Make sure the parking brake is set
- Make sure the gearshift is in Park
- Make sure the ignition switch is in the off position
- Make sure the driver and front passenger safety belts are unbuckled
- Turn the ignition switch to the 'on' position. [ DO NOT START THE ENGINE ]
- Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off ( Approximately one minute )
- The next step MUST be completed within 50 seconds after the safety belt warning light turns off
- For the seating position being disabled, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt NINE times, ending in the unbuckled state
- After the above step the restraint system warning light (airbag light) will be turned on for three seconds
- Within approximately seven seconds of the light turning off, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt.
- This will disable the Belt-Minder feature for that seating position, if it is currently enabled. As confirmation, the constraint system warning light will flash four times per second for three seconds
- WHEW ! ! !
They do mention that there is an 8" safety belt extension available ( part number 611C22) from a dealer but don't indicate that it's free.
They do have a warning to NOT insert a latch plate into the buickle to avoid the Belt-Minder chime. They say to do so may adversely affect the performance of the vehicle's air bag system.
With all of that said, they do identify that there is a One Time Disable method:
"If at any time the driver/front passenger quickly buckles then unbuckles the Belt-Minder feature for that seating position, the Belt-Minder is disabled for the current ignition cycle. The Belt-Minder feature will re-enable during the same ignition cycle if the occupant buckles and remains buckled for 30 seconds. Confirmation is NOT given for the one time disable."
The driver and front passenger Belt-Minder are deactivated/activated independantly.