Seat Belt Retractor

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Belt Retractor

My 2001 Reg Cab drivers side seatbelt wont retract without me guiding it . It seems that the return spring is extremely weak. Has anyone else had this problem? Can it be serviced/fixed or does it need to be replaced? Is it possible to remove the plastic trim without breaking everything? So many questions, so little time!!

Rastatt
49.70' N
124.96'W

Old 12-31-2005, 01:23 PM
Well I cant say much about it but I actually have the same problems... but I find it weird it happening to you, as my truck is a 97. I hate it cause when you close the door I find it having to open again cause the seatbelt gets pinched on the door. I was thinking of replacing the whole thing but its kinda pricy.

Old 12-31-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm also having the same problem in my '99 since I bought it a year and a half ago. It's more annoying than anything. Maybe I'll make my way down to a junkyard sometime and see if I can find a decent unit.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:33 AM
I you have too replace the hold thing,no parts to replace.The way it's put togather you can't service it. That's where junk yards come in for us to save us money,find your color and have fun pulling out the old one.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:09 PM
same with my 97.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:15 PM
getting one from a junkyard wont help cus the same thing is prolly wrong with it.
I think there was a TSB and an updated part to fix this a few years ago.
BTW mine does it and every time i get out i give it a little tug to get it to retract.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Just about all Fords over 5 years old that I've owned or used have had this problem...

Old 01-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Talking

So there is no repair. It wouldn't make sense to install a used retractor if it is going to break as well. I am getting so used to helping it that I don't mind it that much.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Ive been wondering the same thing since i bought my 02 SuperCab about a month ago. I always guide it back in before I get out of the truck. I wish it would retract all by itself.....

Old 01-03-2006, 06:29 PM
I have the same problem with my 97 and the passenger side does it too

Old 01-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Well, since I came to this section of the forum to ask about the same problem on my 2000 f-150, I guess I don't need to start a new thread. Mine does the same thing and was hoping to be able to tighten the retracting spring. It looks like there are two holes on the side of the retracting spool cover. Does anyone know if these have something to do with getting the cover off? As mentioned above, I may not be able to do anything, but I have nothing to loose. The belt gets caught in the door all the time if I don't guide it back. It rather bugs me, because the truck is 6 years old and this is the only thing wrong with it. It's showroom condition otherwise.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Unhappy

I dont mean to hijack this thread, but I have a big problem with my passenger
Seat Belt Retractor as well. Yesterday my Vegas change jar tipped over in the front seat and spilled over $100 in coin onto the floor by the door sill and into, yes into the retractor. Now the belt is stuck all the way out. I need to look more closely (when I am not so pissed off) but it looked as if access to the inside screws of the plastic cover is blocked and the seat needs to come out. Anyone know if this is the case? It also looked (in the dark, with a flashlight) like they are allen head screws. Anyone know the size?
Again, sorry for the hijack.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Legion
Well I cant say much about it but I actually have the same problems... but I find it weird it happening to you, as my truck is a 97. I hate it cause when you close the door I find it having to open again cause the seatbelt gets pinched on the door. I was thinking of replacing the whole thing but its kinda pricy.
I just want to remove the retraction unit on the drivers seat on my 2003 f-150 to install one of those slip over seat covers. The retraction unit is on the door side of the seat back, by my left shoulder. How would you go about removing it?
Thanks, Rod.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this is a standard feature of Ford. I've examined my driver side retractor and found no way to get into it without breaking something that appeared to be better left unbroken.

One thing I have seen, and have yet to try, is applying some polish onto the guide thing at the top (the part near your head). Lift the belt and apply polish to the bar that the belt slides over. It might help, or not, but I've searched for a year or two and this is the only "answer" I've found. Well, short of mortgaging my house to buy new belts that is.

Quick Reply: Seat Belt Retractor