Replacement of worn leather steering wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-1999, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacement of worn leather steering wheel.

A buddy of mine has a '98 with a leather steering wheel. The leather on the top is worn very badly and should be replaced. The delear and the Ford rep are both telling him that it is not covered under warranty. The truck only has 20K miles on it and It seems to me that this is a classic manufacturer defect that should covered under warranty - no way does the leather wear out that fast.

Anyway, has anyone had the steering wheel replaced under warranty for somehting like this?

Old 09-06-1999, 10:38 PM
Anybody?

Old 09-14-1999, 11:38 PM
Come on! No one out there has had a steering wheel replaced under warranty?

Old 09-15-1999, 10:34 AM
Easy kkirt, take long slow breaths.
But seriously, I think I've seen that subject come up before and, yes, they did have it replaced under warranty; although I think it took quite a bit of wrangling. Run a search on the subject. The leather steering wheel on my GT lasted the whole 15 years I had the car so for yours to wear out so soon is unusual. Good luck.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 10-02-1999, 03:41 PM
We usually replace them under warranty unless you can tell its been cut or something, but if the finish just wears off we usually do it.

------------------
Jeff Laws
Evans Ford
Kinston NC

Old 10-02-1999, 05:15 PM
kkirt1 -
Here's my story. It does not have to do with a leather wheel and it wasn't even on a Ford - it was a Mazda I used to own. The rubberized wrapping became loose around the core of the wheel. I could feel the wrapping squirm in my hand. I took it to the dealer and they told me that the wrapping was condidered to be upolstry and since it was past my 12,000 miles, it was not covered. I asked for the manager and We spoke for a few moments. I pointed out that the steering wheel was indeed covered under the warranty. He insisted that the wheel worked fine and that it was the upolstry that had failed.

I told him that if that was his final word, I would leave. I also let him know that upon leaving his dealership that I would make sure I crashed into the first person coming through the stop light at the first intersection near his dealership. When the police came, I would tell them that I lost control of the truck because the wrapping squirmed in my hand. I would also tell the police that I had just left the dealership where I had been denied a replacement wheel.

The manager looked at me for a few seconds and then said "I'll order your new steering wheel right now and it should be here in a couple days". One week later, I had my new steering wheel installed.

Your buddy may just have to be a little creative when he approaches the dealer. Actually, I certainly would not have crashed into someone on purpose but the manager didn't know that. I just caused him to think about it a little more.

------------------
Black '97, SC with 4.6, 3.55 gears, automatic, 2-4 Belltech drop kit, SnugTop fiberglass lid, 3 chamber Flowmaster muffler, billet bumper grill, fog lights, American Racing 17x8 wheels with 275-60 Goodyear Eagle GT II tires.

[This message has been edited by Mr.Wizard (edited 10-02-1999).]

Old 10-02-1999, 05:18 PM
Nice, a little extreme but nice! I'll let hime know. Maybe he will try it. Thanks!

Old 10-11-1999, 07:47 AM
Man, a "little" extreme. I sure would not want to mess with Mr. Wizard. If I was the manager I would have given him every accessory in the store.

Old 10-12-1999, 11:27 AM
Wink

I saw another F150 owner bring in his truck for this very same reason. It looked like the top layer of leather (or coloring) was flaking off, the dealer was going to replace it under warranty; it was less than 10 months old.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 10-17-1999, 10:21 PM
I have run across this problem several times. Usually on Explorers though,and one Mustang (just last week). Every time it was dirt. The dirt deposits on the wrapping in such a way that it looks like the leather is worn. I thought it was worn until I started "really" looking at it. I got curious and sprayed some Fantastik on it. Guess what the "wear" went away. Here's my theory, Hand Lotion! I think it's hand lotion because it always has a grimy essence to it, not like just 'dirt'. Call me weird, but I have yet to change a wheel due to it wearing out.

------------------
1997 F-150, Dark Toreador Red, Supercab, Flareside, 4X4 Off-Road, Towing Package, Chrome Grizzly Wrap Around Push Bar, and Lots of TLC!!

Old 11-09-2000, 10:37 AM
Unhappy

I have a 2 month old truck and the leather wheel is starting to show wear on the top. I drive with one hand on top...like most people I guess. I had my previous car's wheel replaced because of this as well...it wasn't leather though. I have had 2 other cars have the problem too. I don't use "hand lotion", I'm not a woman. Hahaha, j/k. But really, I've tried cleaning, conditioning, scrubbing, everything. I can't keep my steering wheels from doing this. I have also tried driving differently...that just won't work. Can't change that habit. Any ideas, other than an ugly a$$ wheel cover?

------------------
2000 Ford F-150 Super Cab Flareside 4x4 Lariat Black/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, Off-Road, Class III tow pkg. So far, installed accessories included are: Lund X-Terminator bug shield, Vent Shade Vent Visors, GTS headlight blackouts, Westin Black nerf bars, Pendaliner bedliner...

Next on list:
GSP (Longtek Engineering) Grille/Brush Guard, roll bar, lots of lights, Optima red top battery, Kenwood TV/CD/AM/FM/DVD system, Viper alarm w/ remote start, Rancho RS9000s, custom tonneu cover to fit around roll bar, custom backup lights, and a boat to put behind it all. Please visit http://www.bmgsite.com and http://www.isurfwebdesign.com and http://www.bmgsite.com/truck or http://www.f150world.com/lariat4wd/ for truck pics.

Old 11-12-2000, 09:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

I recently posted this in the appearance forum,but here goes:
www.american-stitches.com

They recover leather steering wheels and
cover wheels with leather that never had it. Claim to use very high quality leather as well. Sure looks like better stuff than the factory.

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Clear Euro tails(Altezza style)
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper 500HF Security system
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order
www.my-f150.com .still want to lift it,YES!
Fender Guitars,ROCK!!!
http://www.bigsandy.net
officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

Old 11-17-2000, 09:07 PM
gah
Smile

The leather on my steering wheel has started to get "puffy" next to the cruise control switches, so I took it to my local dealer and they immediately agreed to order me a new steering wheel....not bad!

------------------
'00 5.4L 4X4 Lariat (Black/Silver)
'99 Ranger 4.0L 4X4 XLT

Quick Reply: Replacement of worn leather steering wheel.