Is Armor all bad?

Old 10-10-2000, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Is Armor all bad?

I have heard someone say something that implied that armor all is bad for the plastic in cars. Is this true? Will mine crack if I use it? I have used it a couple times but was wondering if I should switch to something else to clean/protect? Thanks!

Old 10-11-2000, 12:34 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

In the 1970's when it was first introduced,without constant re-application it caused the padded dashes to crack/deteriorate when exposed to UV rays. Eventually, the problem became so bad if you could show receipts and document the prior condition of the vehicle, the company paid up to $500 for repairs/replacement. The formula has since been changed but I will not use it. I presently use Pro Prime Shine. It is available in a laytex & oil based formula, and available though any commercial auto detail supplier.

------------------
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

Old 10-11-2000, 10:52 PM
I read and relied upon that advertizement for my garage-kept 1984 GMC Suburban -- and it was the only vehicle I've owned that developed a multiple-cracked (inches-long splits) padded dashboard.

------------------
Y2K™ Jim

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Old 10-14-2000, 09:12 AM
I have heard some rumors about that years ago, but nothing recently. I don't use is due to the glare and reflection that Armor All causes from the dash up onto the windshield. Plus it just collects more dust and crap with it oily.
I just wipe my plastic down with a damp rag to get the dust off, and I use Simple Green or glass cleaner to remove dirt, etc.

Old 10-14-2000, 09:37 PM
Cool

I've heard those rumors many years ago also. I just don't like anything that is so oily, and I agree on the collection of dirt and dust too. I just clean my vinyl, leather, and plastic in each of my vehicles with a damp sponge and "The Tannery"; rinsing regularly. It is a spray can, cleans well, protects, and isn't oily.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
Class III tow/Payload #3/Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back,
3" exit Y-pipe, Hellwig rear anti-sway bar,
Rancho RS9000s.

Old 10-17-2000, 08:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Local Ford Service manager told me to never use it on exterior plastic/trim, as it will turn the F-150 black trim grey in time.

I use to use it on our old 92 Mazda 626..and it certainly did turn the exterior trim grey. It was so bad that I had to constantly use the stuff to keep it looking dark in color.

I've never had a problem using it on interior trim over the past 15 years..however...I do not use it in or on any of our new vehicles. I don't care for the smell of it or the gloss (even low gloss formula).

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/Auxilary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 10-18-2000, 03:46 PM
Thumbs down

Isn't it amazing how many bad rumors there seem to be about Armor All. I've heard that if Armor All gets on the paint that it will damage the paint. Since many people put Armor All on their tires and because Armor All is a spary, it could very easily land on the paint. As a result, I don't use Armor All at all.

------------------
1999 Lariat SuperCab Flareside, Amazon Green with Silver trim, 5.4L, 4x2, 4 wheel disc/ABS, 3.55 limited slip, towing package, fog lamps, sliding rear window, captains chairs, keyless entry with alarm, spray-on bed liner, bug guard, and K&N. http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfriesen/truck.html

Old 10-18-2000, 07:10 PM
Okay then, what about those instan ttire shine foams/sprays? Are they bad for the paint or rubber too? I haven't put anything but soap and water on my truck yet but have used several of these types of products on the wifes Taurus. The Armor All did turn the exterior trim grey after about a year of use. I just figured it was from the Califonia desert sun.

------------------
Stock Stuff:
Y2K SCab 4X4, Chesnut Metallic, 5.4L, 3.55 Limited Slip, Skid Plates, Factory AM/FM/CD, 40/60 Split Bench, Sliding Rear Window, Towing Package and Keyless Entry.

Extras so far:
  • GY 305/70X16 Wrangler ATS Tires
  • American Eagle Series 146 Chrome Wheels
  • Ravin Z-55 3" Single In/Out Exaust System
  • WMS Velocity Tube
  • K&N Filter
  • Blaupunkt Houston CD Player
  • Blaupunkt PCxt573 Speakers
  • PIAA Super White Bulbs
  • Catch-All Floor Mats
  • Tinted Windows
  • Bull Ring Retractable Tie-Downs
  • www.f150online.com Sticker (below center brake light)
  • University of Georgia Hitch Cover "GO DAWGS!"
Coming Soon:
  • Clear Corner Lights (ordered 10/11/00)
  • Clear Tail Lights
  • PIAA Air Dam #30530
  • PIAA 520 Series Fog Lights
  • Spray-in Liner (or Herculiner haven't decided)
  • Stainless Step Bars
  • Hood and Window Deflectors
Pictures:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...3401&a=8556922

Old 10-30-2000, 04:16 PM
On my tires I use Meguires (sp?) Endurance Tire Gel. It works great, stays black for weeks, and is easy to apply. Because it's a gel with an applicator pad, I can apply the gel to the tire and only the tire. There is only one down side I've found. If you drive on dirt roads, the dirt will stick to your tires and make them brown. Not permanently, but until you wash your truck it looks bad to have brown tires.

Old 10-30-2000, 08:16 PM
I've been using by Wet'n Black by <A HREF="http://www.turtlewax.com" TARGET=_blank>TurtleWax®
</A> on my tires for the last few years. It lasts for several washes and doesn't seem to attract dust as bad as other products I've tried. I've read that Mop & Glo (especially the triple action formula) works well on tires and plastic trim (I'm going to try it). I would stay away from Amorall for the trim because several people on the ATV forum I read claim it causes plastic to turn white after a while.

------------------
Brent

Black 1998 F-150 XLT Flareside STX
4.2 V-6, 5-Speed, 3.55 Gears, Class V Hidden Hitch®

Old 11-01-2000, 03:54 AM
I avoid using any of those tire products. Is it only me or does anybody else find shiny black tires on a truck out of place? It just doesn't look right to me. Besides, I had read somewhere on this board or on the mailing list that some products have caused problems with the engines if it gets into the air intake.

As far as Armor All goes, I'd say it's perfectly fine to use so long as you like having cracks in your dashes. Every car dash I ever used that stuff on has cracked. I quit using it in 1985 and have never had another dash crack.

Old 11-01-2000, 04:47 PM
Talking

I've been using Armor All since 95 on two different cars without a single problem. I even think it collects less dust and the little it does collect is easily removed with a soft cloth. I'm happy with it (at least until now - maybe 5 years are not enough?).

Old 11-07-2000, 09:22 PM
Hey Larry@,
I too haven't heard many favorable things about Armor All.
I use Black Magic profressional protectant on my plastics, interior as well as exterior. I've had no problems so far and really like the way it revives and peps up my plastics. It doesn't tend to give off a "wet" look, just a new look. I kinda favor a slight gloss on my plastics.
As for my tires, I use Black'n Wet by Turtle Wax. As previously stated by Brent, it last for several washes. As far as the "shiny wet" look, I'm not a big fan. What I do is apply one even coat on the tire. It leaves the tire looking clean, but not "glossy". To avoid getting Black'n Wet on my truck. I spray it on a towel and then apply it to the tire.
There are many good products on the market. This is a good place to start though. The members here are very knowledgeable and friendly. Good luck on whatever you decide to go on your vehicles.

Welcome aboard....

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat 4x2 Supercab, Styleside,SB,Amazon Green/Clearcoat Metallic,5.4 Liter V8, Class III Tow-Package,3.55 Limited Slip Rear,Bug Deflector, Duraliner Bedliner,Superchip, K&N Filter, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Ravin' Z-55 (SI/DO) Performance Exhaust.

Old 11-07-2000, 09:24 PM
Hey Larry@,
I too haven't heard many favorable things about Armor All.
I use Black Magic profressional protectant on my plastics, interior as well as exterior. I've had no problems so far and really like the way it revives and peps up my plastics. It doesn't tend to give off a "wet" look, just a new look. I kinda favor a slight gloss on my plastics.
As for my tires, I use Black'n Wet by Turtle Wax. As previously stated by Brent, it last for several washes. As far as the "shiny wet" look, I'm not a big fan. What I do is apply one even coat on the tire. It leaves the tire looking clean, but not "glossy". To avoid getting Black'n Wet on my truck. I spray it on a towel and then apply it to the tire.
There are many good products on the market. This is a good place to start though. The members here are very knowledgeable and friendly. Good luck on whatever you decide to go on your vehicles.

Welcome aboard....

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat 4x2 Supercab, Styleside,SB,Amazon Green/Clearcoat Metallic,5.4 Liter V8, Class III Tow-Package,3.55 Limited Slip Rear,Bug Deflector, Duraliner Bedliner,Superchip, K&N Filter, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Ravin' Z-55 (SI/DO) Performance Exhaust.

Old 11-08-2000, 12:13 AM
All silicone-based protectants are bad for vinyl, plastic, and leather especially. I have talked to several interior guys and they recommend just keeping it clean and maybe a dash cover.

------------------
2000 Ford F-150 Super Cab Flareside 4x4 Lariat Black/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, Off-Road, Class III, Installed accessories included so far are: Lund X-Terminator bug shield, Vent Shade Vent Visors, GTS headlight blackouts, Westin Black nerf bars, more to come soon... visit http://www.bmgsite.com and http://www.isurfwebdesign.com and http://www.bmgsite.com/truck for truck pics.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Armor all bad?