sylvania silverstar

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 03:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
sylvania silverstar

I don't know a lot about my '96 F250 5 speed reg. cab that I just purchased in October, and it's my 6th ford truck over the years. What I do know is the headlights might be getting worn out or I don't know what to make of it but it sure is hard to see the lines when driving in the rain down country roads.

Ford dealer recommended Sylvania silver star. Can someone advise me what part no. to buy or model # bulb? or should I try to find a good deal by getting new lens covers or just replace all together. I can't afford HID's but i'm willing to spend 70 bucks or less if I'd be happy with the silverstars. I really need to do this soon in Dec. It's sort of dangerous and I really need some good white light. Thanks a lot for this help.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You will need part # 9007 for your headlight bulbs. I used the Silverstar ZXE for a couple of years and like them. Some will tell you they don't last very long, normal use they have done as well as anything else I've tried. If your lens covers are yellowed or rock chipped so they are not clear that will also cut down on your light output. If they are in bad shape you might check at salvage yards or eBay for oem replacements that might be in better shape but I doubt if they are cheap.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been using the Silverstars in my truck for the last several years and have been happy with them. My lenses are starting to discolor effecting how bright they are.
Unfortunately mine are past polishing out again. You can find several videos on youtube for the process. DO NOT use bug spray or any other chemical on them, sure it'll make them clear for a little while but when they yellow again you're done.
A brief example of the process:
-sand the face of the light with 1000 grit and water (a spray bottle works good) Once the whole surface has a dulled appearance you're ready for the next step
- use a good "cutting" compound and start polishing 3M perfect it (for example). It will take some elbow grease to get them shining again, but from experience they come back pretty nice.
-This is the most important part, apply a good wax to protect your work

Replacement lenses are going to break your $70 budget, but here's a link to LMC truck, the page listing the headlight assembly. Looks like their $70 each, which is reasonable for a new fixture. And LMC guarantees it fits your truck, something Amazon or Ebay might fight with you about.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=155

Last edited by 1972-2003f150; 11-24-2016 at 09:52 AM. Reason: added link
Old 11-24-2016, 10:26 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
apply a good wax to protect your work
Meguiars PlastX works best here, use a foam pad on a drill or rotary buffer. It has UV protectant.

The compounding works well with a wool pad. I use some old Meguiars M85.

I also use 1500 grit wet on a flexible sanding block with soapy water.

Complete process with pictures:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ca...ads-2-kit.html

Old 11-24-2016, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Meguiars PlastX works best here, use a foam pad on a drill or rotary buffer. It has UV protectant.

The compounding works well with a wool pad. I use some old Meguiars M85.

I also use 1500 grit wet on a flexible sanding block with soapy water.

Complete process with pictures:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ca...ads-2-kit.html
Excellent how-to glc, I did forget to mention a couple drops of dish soap in the water.

The best part about this project is you don't have to have any tools other than your hands, some time, a sanding block and polishing pads.

I couldn't get the crazing out of mine either, but they projected light much better after I was finished. Did you ever find a method for that? I didn't read the entire thread

Old 11-24-2016, 03:02 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Nope - and that van is now in the junkyard.

An electric drill with a buffing kit makes it go a lot easier.

ADS no longer offers that kit - it's one they put together themselves. This was 8 years ago when I did that.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
thanks glc

Thanks glc as you usually always know what's up. I will get on it soon as this Friday. And thanks to you guys who helped me out. I'll let ya's know how it turns out.