Alternative to the "bambi mod"

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alternative to the "bambi mod"

Hey guys, I remember reading somewhere that a guy on here installed a resistor on his unused H13 plug so that when he had his fogs on with his HIDs he could successfully turn off his Hi-beams without them staying on.
Does anyone know the info on the resistor? or have a link. I can't find it.

I'm not a fan of doing the Bambi mod because that keeps the fogs on with your Highs and we all know that shortens your distance vision.

Thank you in advanced.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you trying to keep the fogs on with the low beams? or on with no headlights?

Old 04-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
Are you trying to keep the fogs on with the low beams? or on with no headlights?
On with the low beams, off with the high beams like stock was.
Bambi mod leaves the fogs on with the high beams and I don't want that. (Too much foreground)

Old 04-07-2015, 03:03 PM
What year truck are you working on? My 07 didn't change anything from stock when I added HIDs or Retros.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:46 PM
What year truck are you working on? My 07 didn't change anything from stock when I added HIDs or Retros.
07 also. Running the Morimoto relay harness with my retrofit. Leaving fogs on and throwing on the high beams, when I go back to low beam the shield stays down.
Do you have HID fogs? Because another guy I spoke to did and didn't have the problem either. Don't see why that would make a different but I guess it does. Now that he has switched to the Type F LEDs from TRS he has the same problem as myself.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:07 PM
I had cheapo HID fogs for a while and now have Matchboxes in my Fogs, never had a problem with the shields sticking. I wonder if there is just enough current running through the factory harness (due to HIDs needing less) that the truck still thinks that the high beams are on, but the fog light relay sees enough power to turn the fogs on.

That would explain how the other guy fixed it by using a resistor.

Have you tried Hi -> Low beams with no fogs and seeing if the shield stays up?

Old 04-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Yep as soon as you turn off the fogs the shields goes back up. Leaving the fogs off allows you to use high and low beam perfectly.

No relay harness for the LED fogs.

It has something to do with the unused plug and bleed back power from fogs.
High beam indicator is faintly lit too when the fogs and low beams are on.

Last edited by thelariat02; 04-07-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Have you contacted TRS about it? A quick google shows a bunch of H13 resistors for sale.

*sidetrack* I've noticed my lights sometimes flash after I use my turn signal, usually only first thing in the morning. I thought it was because of some wiring screwup on my end, but it might be the same thing.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:39 PM
Have you contacted TRS about it? A quick google shows a bunch of H13 resistors for sale.

*sidetrack* I've noticed my lights sometimes flash after I use my turn signal, usually only first thing in the morning. I thought it was because of some wiring screwup on my end, but it might be the same thing.
This is a very common issue with just our gen f150s. Hence why the Bambi mod was made in the first place. I don't see them knowing what to do (other than telling me to do the Bambi mod)

Never heard of a problem like that before. That might be a wiring issue in the steering column like the flash to pass shorting out when you blinker lever goes back to it's original position.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:41 PM
Also I believe those resistors you are seeing ( I just did a quick search) are for the can bus on the newer F150 and some of the Mopar lights for bulb or errors and flickering.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:08 PM
Possibly, it looks like they just wired in the resistors into a pre-made harness and are making a couple bucks. I bet you could purchase some yourself and wire a harness to fix the problem. I have some extras from and LED turn signal purchase I might play with this summer.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Ya I'm going to have to play with some stuff and figure it out. Just don't know to much about resistors.

Quick Reply: Alternative to the "bambi mod"