Will LED's in tail lights require flasher unit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 07:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Will LED's in tail lights require flasher unit?

I've read some vehicles turn signals and flashers will not work without a flasher unit. Something about their extremely low current draw.

Anyone have any experience? Do LED's in the tail lights work on 04-08 trucks or does this unit need to be installed?

Old 11-25-2014, 07:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
I've read some vehicles turn signals and flashers will not work without a flasher unit. Something about their extremely low current draw.

Anyone have any experience? Do LED's in the tail lights work on 04-08 trucks or does this unit need to be installed?
Hi.

To avoid 'hyperflash', you typically:

A) replace the current unit with a Tridon EP-27 solid state unit.

OR

B) add load resistors to the circuit.

However - if you still run incandescents in the front signal, you *may* not need to do anything, since there is adequate load for the stock flasher.

Try it and see first.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-25-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

To avoid 'hyperflash', you typically:

A) replace the current unit with a Tridon EP-27 solid state unit.

OR

B) add load resistors to the circuit.

However - if you still run incandescents in the front signal, you *may* not need to do anything, since there is adequate load for the stock flasher.

Try it and see first.

MGD
Hi, thank you as always. Where's the flasher unit located? I'm new to this, as I've always just gone with incandescent.

I will be keeping incandescent in the front. Just want the entire rear to be led. Reverse, tail, third brake light and cargo.

Thank you.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Hi, thank you as always. Where's the flasher unit located? I'm new to this, as I've always just gone with incandescent.

I will be keeping incandescent in the front. Just want the entire rear to be led. Reverse, tail, third brake light and cargo.

Thank you.
Hi.

Location: https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...l-flasher.html

Do you have Cruise? Folks have had cruise engagement issues when putting LEDs in the third brake light position. That may require it's own load resistor.

MGD

Old 11-25-2014, 07:31 PM

Hi.

Location: https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...l-flasher.html

Do you have Cruise? Folks have had cruise engagement issues when putting LEDs in the third brake light position. That may require it's own load resistor.

MGD
Thanks for the link, that takes care of that.

I do not have cruse. I've already gone with LED's in the 3rd brake light and cargo. No problems. It's just weird, because obviously, even when the vehicle and lights are off, there's still a very small amount of power going to the sockets which causes the LED's to glow very slightly. I spoke with someone at superbrightleds and they said its normal, and not an issue.

Looks weird though, huh?
Will LED's in tail lights require flasher unit?-8fsvk5a.jpg

Old 11-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the link, that takes care of that.

I do not have cruse. I've already gone with LED's in the 3rd brake light and cargo. No problems. It's just weird, because obviously, even when the vehicle and lights are off, there's still a very small amount of power going to the sockets which causes the LED's to glow very slightly. I spoke with someone at superbrightleds and they said its normal, and not an issue.

Looks weird though, huh?
I kinda like it, lol.

A load resistor will address that too.

Question fer y'all - which LED tails are ye contemplating? Reason I ask is, VLEDs usually has Thanksgiving Day sales with a nice discount. Makes the Trition V3's pricing a tad more reasonable.

good luck

MGD

Old 11-25-2014, 07:40 PM

I kinda like it, lol.

A load resistor will address that too.

Question fer y'all - which LED tails are ye contemplating? Reason I ask is, VLEDs usually has Thanksgiving Day sales with a nice discount. Makes the Trition V3's pricing a tad more reasonable.

good luck

MGD
Ah, always some good info from you! I'll look into the load resistor,however, if this won't cause issues or drain the battery, I probably won't mess with it.

I'll also check that site, ive been ordering from superbrightleds lately.

Thank for for your time and great info. I now know a lot more!

Old 11-25-2014, 07:51 PM
Ah, always some good info from you! I'll look into the load resistor,however, if this won't cause issues or drain the battery, I probably won't mess with it.

I'll also check that site, ive been ordering from superbrightleds lately.

Thank for for your time and great info. I now know a lot more!
Hey;

No problem bud. Always a pleasure chattin' with the most fastidious feller on this site.

Check out : http://www.vleds.com/promo - usually has some savings in between seasonal sales.

Cheers
MGD

Old 11-25-2014, 07:55 PM

Hey;

No problem bud. Always a pleasure chattin' with the most fastidious feller on this site.

Check out : http://www.vleds.com/promo - usually has some savings in between seasonal sales.

Cheers
MGD
Thanks for the kind words! I also enjoy your humor that too many do not seem to understand.

And, you're one of the most helpful guys on here. Definitely made this a whole lot easier for me. So thanks again!

Quick Reply: Will LED's in tail lights require flasher unit?