Brighter 912 Backup Bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brighter 912 Backup Bulbs?

Hey guys, I know this one has been beat up pretty good in the past, but searching though old posts didn't yield me a definitive answer. I have a friend with a new 2014 F-150 XLT and he absolutely hates the reverse / backup light output.

So is there an aftermarket 912 style bulb - most likely LED - that I can plug in for him to significantly increase the amount of light behind his truck? I already suggested adding additional lighting below the bumper, but he doesn't want to go that route for a number of reasons - even though that would truly solve his problem. So it has to be a plug in to the current reverse / backup light socket.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey.

I think a 921 will also fit - it is space limited.

http://www.vleds.com/5k-white-15-led...79-1-pair.html

Another option, (not under the bumper) - MUCH brighter: http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/rever...p/new-lpf.html

And another - only fer the adventurous - flush-mounted into the bumper itself:
Amazon.com: Nilight® 2pcs 18w 3x3 Dually Flush Mount Cree LED Light Lamps Dually D2 Off Road 4x4 4wd Jeep Truck F150 Tacoma Bumper 3" Flood: Automotive Amazon.com: Nilight® 2pcs 18w 3x3 Dually Flush Mount Cree LED Light Lamps Dually D2 Off Road 4x4 4wd Jeep Truck F150 Tacoma Bumper 3" Flood: Automotive

Void yer bumper-bumper warranty, I reckon.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-21-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hey.

I think a 921 will also fit - it is space limited.

http://www.vleds.com/5k-white-15-led...79-1-pair.html

Another option, (not under the bumper) - MUCH brighter: http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/rever...p/new-lpf.html

And another - only fer the adventurous - flush-mounted into the bumper itself: Amazon.com: Nilight® 2pcs 18w 3x3 Dually Flush Mount Cree LED Light Lamps Dually D2 Off Road 4x4 4wd Jeep Truck F150 Tacoma Bumper 3" Flood: Automotive

Void yer bumper-bumper warranty, I reckon.

MGD
MGDfan,

Thanks for the speedy response. I'd found those V-LED bulbs in my own search and just didn't know if they were significantly better. (We've tried a somewhat similar bulb from another supplier and they're not all that great.)

The license plate deal looks like the absolute best option. I have a front facing LED light bar with ten of those 10 watt CREE LEDs and the output is nothing short of astounding. But I think my buddy is going to balk at a buck fifty for it.

Anybody else got any ideas?

Old 11-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Yes, the 921 LED is a good solution. Had those in my 2011. Just need to add them to my 2014. The factory backup lights are next to worthless.

Last edited by Bluejay; 11-21-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:11 PM
From what I can find, the 921 and 912 bulbs are basically the same thing. They're also sometimes called T15 bulbs. Anybody actually tried the VLED bulbs?

Now if we were talking 9440 (T20) bulbs, I'd have something I know works. I have these in my car and they're very, very nice:

http://retro-solutions.net/product-i...bs-pid703.html

Last edited by 2stroked; 11-21-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2stroked
From what I can find, the 921 and 912 bulbs are basically the same thing. They're also sometimes called T15 bulbs. Anybody actually tried the VLED bulbs?

Now if we were talking 9440 (T20) bulbs, I'd have something I know works. I have these in my car and they're very, very nice:

http://retro-solutions.net/product-i...bs-pid703.html
Hi.

I haven't tried those specific bulbs, but I have, an continue to use Vled products without issue - multiple bulb types.

I don't think yer buddy will be disappointed, UNLESS his expectations are unreasonable for output from that very limited, suboptimal stock location. If he expects stadium lighting from there, not gonna happen. Massive, quality output is going to cost him, if he also wants it to remain 'subtle'.

Conversely yer lowly cheap Walmart 55w H3-bulbed driving lights mounted under-bumper are a great bang/buck alternative - but may not meet everyone's aesthetic standards - as you've noted. Feller needs ta chit 'er git orf da pot, lol. Ye kin always tuck 'em up under the bumper outta sight, Patman-style.

So, ye reckon he woon't cotton to cuttin' two 'small' holes in his new rear bumper, eh? Poosy!

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-21-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

I haven't tried those specific bulbs, but I have, an continue to use Vled products without issue - multiple bulb types.

I don't think yer buddy will be disappointed, UNLESS his expectations are unreasonable for output from that very limited, suboptimal stock location. If he expects stadium lighting from there, not gonna happen. Massive, quality output is going to cost him, if he also wants it to remain 'subtle'.

Conversely yer lowly cheap Walmart 55w H3-bulbed driving lights mounted under-bumper are a great bang/buck alternative - but may not meet everyone's aesthetic standards - as you've noted. Feller needs ta chit 'er git orf da pot, lol. Ye kin always tuck 'em up under the bumper outta sight, Patman-style.

So, ye reckon he woon't cotton to cuttin' two 'small' holes in his new rear bumper, eh? Poosy!

MGD
I hear ya - and agree 100%. I actually have a really nice set of LED lights I offered to mount under his bumper. No dice. So, it's got to be bulbs - with all of the limitations they bring with them.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:22 PM
I decided to order the VLED bulbs based on what several of you said. I'd previously tried these with disappointing results:

http://retro-solutions.net/product-i...bs-pid699.html

Hopefully the VLED product will work significantly better.

Thanks for all of your help!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Tom,

You could have weirdness two ways.

The reverse lamps on the 2011 + MY F150 use a FET to power the reverse lamps.
- 2009 & 2010 were still a relay.

The VLED could look like a burnt out bulb to the FET, causing them not to illuminate.

The other item with the FET driven bulbs is watching how much higher AMP draw is added to the circuit, if you went standard or halogen type in there.
- An out of range current draw to a higher wattage bulb might look like a short, and cause the FET to turn off.

The FET for the truck's reverse lamps includes the coil on the reversing lamps relay in the BJB.

fuse 15 to FET
FET to both reverse lamps, auto dimming mirror & coil on reversing lamp relay for trailer tow adapter.
FET is controlled by the BCM when the reverse gear is selected ( no more DTR load ).

Old 11-23-2014, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Tom,

You could have weirdness two ways.

The reverse lamps on the 2011 + MY F150 use a FET to power the reverse lamps.
- 2009 & 2010 were still a relay.

The VLED could look like a burnt out bulb to the FET, causing them not to illuminate.

The other item with the FET driven bulbs is watching how much higher AMP draw is added to the circuit, if you went standard or halogen type in there.
- An out of range current draw to a higher wattage bulb might look like a short, and cause the FET to turn off.

The FET for the truck's reverse lamps includes the coil on the reversing lamps relay in the BJB.

fuse 15 to FET
FET to both reverse lamps, auto dimming mirror & coil on reversing lamp relay for trailer tow adapter.
FET is controlled by the BCM when the reverse gear is selected ( no more DTR load ).
Thanks for responding Steve. Always nice to hear from the master! The bulbs do illuminate and in fact appear fairly bright. They just don't do much. Some of that is due to the fact that they do not utilize the reflector to disperse the light in the desired (by Ford Engineers) pattern. The VLED bulbs with the side facing LEDs should in theory utilize more of the reflector.

As MGDfan has stated, I think the root cause problem here is the incredibly small size of the backup lights. This limits lens / reflector size and thus performance. What my buddy really needs is a set of additional lights under the bumper. And I have just the units for him when he finally comes to his senses.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Tom,

Good to know the FET sees the LEDs bulbs and does not think they are burnt out standard filament bulbs.

The high current draw I would not expect on LEDs bulbs. That was just for the next step in the process when he IDs they are marginally better and what to try next, in his search for more light in reverse.

MGDfan's post is correct, changing bulbs to increase reverse light output is playing for 2nd place with the project.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:12 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Tom,

Good to know the FET sees the LEDs bulbs and does not think they are burnt out standard filament bulbs.

The high current draw I would not expect on LEDs bulbs. That was just for the next step in the process when he IDs they are marginally better and what to try next, in his search for more light in reverse.

MGDfan's post is correct, changing bulbs to increase reverse light output is playing for 2nd place with the project.
Not sure what you are saying but I know for a fact that with the factory bulbs, I could not see to back out of my winding drive way, with the 921s, I could see very well. Worked for 3 years, just forgot to remove them when I traded the truck.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:02 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Not sure what you are saying but I know for a fact that with the factory bulbs, I could not see to back out of my winding drive way, with the 921s, I could see very well. Worked for 3 years, just forgot to remove them when I traded the truck.
Jim, he's saying there'll be an improvement, but it won't be as great as you would see mounting new lights in the bumper, over the license plate, or under the bumper.

If the 921's give you as much light as you need, that's all that matters.

- Jack

Old 11-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Jim, he's saying there'll be an improvement, but it won't be as great as you would see mounting new lights in the bumper, over the license plate, or under the bumper.

If the 921's give you as much light as you need, that's all that matters.

- Jack
Thanks, not exactly what I was understanding.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Well guys, the VLED bulbs arrived and were installed today. (Fast shipping!) I must say, they're significantly better than the stockers. Are they awesome? Well, a set of auxiliary LED lights under the bumper would be awesome. I'd call them a pretty darn good choice if you - like my buddy - doesn't want anything hanging under the bumper. I'm going to hang a set under my bumper shortly.

Thanks for all of your help and advice!

Quick Reply: Brighter 912 Backup Bulbs?