eyourlife - Chinese LED light bar - 23" - installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 03:20 PM
dmp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eyourlife - Chinese LED light bar - 23" - installed

Sort of installed -

I picked this up from ebay; $90 for about 10,000 lumens (claimed).

This morning I did a little test just putting it on the battery and setting it in the bumper where I'll mount it in the next couple days. I am VERY impressed so far - probably brighter than 10 of my high beam headlamps!

I will do this again with a real camera - but you can see the difference. First is the headlamp low beams on (the side light is from my dual 1500lumens LED Floods on the side of the house. Look at the orangish light from the headlamps.

Next is with the headlamps AND the light bar. I think when I get things alinged this thing will be perfect for my needs!

Where I'll mount the light.

Switched on.

Headlamps - Low Beams

Headlamps + LED Bar

Old 11-20-2014, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For $90.00 its hard to argue with the results...looks good.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Looks great!

Old 11-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"claimed" is right. highly doubt its 10,000 lumens. Still looks pretty bright tho. I hope you don't have any problems with it tho, warranty might be a biatch.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:58 AM
dmp
^^^ Righto! Course, it could be MORE than 10,000. I'm unsure how I'd ever measure. The LED bar I 'wanted' was from Olympus Offroad - their Zeus lighting - but..$250+ I simply couldn't pull the trigger for months down the road.

I'd never submit a warranty claim for it. $20? for shipping would be 1/4 the cost of the whole thing. $90 - including $5 donation to a charity at check out - I figure if I get a year out of it I'll be okay. FWIW - when I go to my ebay history page and click on the link for the light the price shows $98 now.

I'm going to change the on-button. As-is it's a push button switch - I can't imagine mounting it in a place it can avoid any chance of bumping. I'd NOT like this to flash at somebody on the road. I'll replace it with a covered rocker switch I think.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:39 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
That it hardly 10,000 lumens. Looks like 2-3,000 lumens, max. You can guy a light meter to test the lux of it. The last one I saw was a 50" claiming 30,000 lumens, and it only put out short of 7,000. I've seen some 10,000 lumen LED work lights on firetrucks (the heatsink was the size of a F-150's radiator) and it would light up a 150x150' work scene. They were around several thousand dollars, so you get what you pay for.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:21 AM
dmp
So, if it's probably 6-8 times brighter than my car's hi-beams, which are probably 1100 lumens...what does that mean?

Honestly Raptor, you don't have nearly enough information in that cell-phone pic to think it's 2-3,000 lumens. Even removing my bias of "I just bought this so it MUST be good" that EVERY MAN has....Just subjectively looking at the photo with my truck's low-beams (800-900? lumens) illuminated along-with the light bar. I'm pretty sure the relative brightness is 10x greater. But to really measure? I can't think of any way to measure lumens without some probably expensive and specially calibrated equipment and an integration sphere. How did you measure the lumens of the bar that claimed 30000? Or did you mean 7000 lux? Those two measures cannot easily convert.

I feel safe saying 3W LEDs probably make 250 Lumens on the low-end. Let's assume this bar has even worse performance - 200. This bar has 48 3W LEDs - of course, that's the mfg CLAIM. 200 (lumens) x 48 lights = 9600.

Now way in hell I'd know if it's 3W or 1W, right? Everyone - at some point - has to have faith. Some people have faith the whole world somehow magically evolved from nothing. Some have faith that somehow, magically, some small animal 'evolved' heart cells, and those heart-cells stayed around and waited to form a heart...then more time passes and the thing 'evolved' actual blood cells - and then the blood and heart waited around until the thing 'evolved' veins and arteries...and lungs probably at some point. whatever...

I don't need THAT much faith for this light bar. What I need is the answer to this question: At $90 shipped, does this Light bar give me a $h|t-ton more light than not-having it.

Long-Lasting-Lumens are expensive. Industrial type lights that get a LOT of use are expensive.

This thing will get used probably 20 hours a year.

When I get the bar mounted I'll show pics out in an open field. Again, comparison pics. Subjective. Maybe I'll do a video?

Anywho - for the 15 minutes it worked the other day? Pretty slick.

Last edited by dmp; 11-21-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dmp
^^^ Righto! Course, it could be MORE than 10,000. I'm unsure how I'd ever measure. The LED bar I 'wanted' was from Olympus Offroad - their Zeus lighting - but..$250+ I simply couldn't pull the trigger for months down the road.

I'd never submit a warranty claim for it. $20? for shipping would be 1/4 the cost of the whole thing. $90 - including $5 donation to a charity at check out - I figure if I get a year out of it I'll be okay. FWIW - when I go to my ebay history page and click on the link for the light the price shows $98 now.

I'm going to change the on-button. As-is it's a push button switch - I can't imagine mounting it in a place it can avoid any chance of bumping. I'd NOT like this to flash at somebody on the road. I'll replace it with a covered rocker switch I think.
Ya don't want that thing blinding people that wouldn't be any good. Ha..
The only reason I don't think it's 10000 lumens is because I would say that is about as bright as my retrofit which is about 6000 lumens combined. Not dissing your bar. Like you said if you get a year or more out of it, you got your money worth.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:17 AM
dmp
I'm with ya, man - I don't feel dissed - I'm just trying to look at it objectively BOTH ways (no, i do NOT 'go both ways')

The light bar is what it is - to see the difference though? that's what I'me talking about regardless of the measurables and all that.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:35 AM

Random eBay sellers I don't know about, but Amazon is actually pretty good about light bar warranties, and I've seen this same one on there.

Looks good, especially for $90!

Old 11-23-2014, 07:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dmp
Honestly Raptor, you don't have nearly enough information in that cell-phone pic to think it's 2-3,000 lumens. Even removing my bias of "I just bought this so it MUST be good" that EVERY MAN has....Just subjectively looking at the photo with my truck's low-beams (800-900? lumens) illuminated along-with the light bar. I'm pretty sure the relative brightness is 10x greater. But to really measure? I can't think of any way to measure lumens without some probably expensive and specially calibrated equipment and an integration sphere. How did you measure the lumens of the bar that claimed 30000? Or did you mean 7000 lux? Those two measures cannot easily convert.
Nope, and you are 100% correct. But going by a cell phone pic vs a cell phone pic, (and I hate to say it this way) but my 7,000 lumen low beams look much brighter than that. And I've got plenty of pics of working on a fire scene with a 10,000 lumen light bar that makes that look like a candle. But then we would have to bust out light meters, look at white balance on camera, and eventually it would turn into an e-peen contest in which we end up questioning the sexuality of eachothers mother

Originally Posted by dmp
I feel safe saying 3W LEDs probably make 250 Lumens on the low-end. Let's assume this bar has even worse performance - 200. This bar has 48 3W LEDs - of course, that's the mfg CLAIM. 200 (lumens) x 48 lights = 9600.
Of course. I've had people tell me they have pulled apart these 3W bars and they draw maybe 1/3rd of that claim (a little over a watt).

Originally Posted by dmp
Now way in hell I'd know if it's 3W or 1W, right? Everyone - at some point - has to have faith. Some people have faith the whole world somehow magically evolved from nothing. Some have faith that somehow, magically, some small animal 'evolved' heart cells, and those heart-cells stayed around and waited to form a heart...then more time passes and the thing 'evolved' actual blood cells - and then the blood and heart waited around until the thing 'evolved' veins and arteries...and lungs probably at some point. whatever...

I don't need THAT much faith for this light bar. What I need is the answer to this question: At $90 shipped, does this Light bar give me a $h|t-ton more light than not-having it.

Long-Lasting-Lumens are expensive. Industrial type lights that get a LOT of use are expensive.

This thing will get used probably 20 hours a year.

When I get the bar mounted I'll show pics out in an open field. Again, comparison pics. Subjective. Maybe I'll do a video?

Anywho - for the 15 minutes it worked the other day? Pretty slick.
And again, its all subjective. More light versus no light, you're right. $90 is a good deal, but what I am so apprehensive about these el-cheapo light bars is that most of those numbers are pure BS with no backing up. Locally I've got 16 year olds that "bulldogged" their daddys truck and have 3x lightbars stuffed on every inch of opening on their truck claiming 30,000 lumens each but are astonished that my 7,000 lumen HIDs drown them out. The basic premise of "the salesman told me so it must be true" has taken this nation by gripe so recently its hilarious.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dmp
...<snip>...
I feel safe saying 3W LEDs probably make 250 Lumens on the low-end. Let's assume this bar has even worse performance - 200. This bar has 48 3W LEDs - of course, that's the mfg CLAIM. 200 (lumens) x 48 lights = 9600....<snip>....
You have it down how LED light bars are rated, it is total lumen output for all the light heads that are joined together, not the lumen output at the center of the light head.

Keep in mind Lumen is a unit of measurement at a fixed distance, which is much shorter than your picture or the conversation at hand.

Rigid, Vision X, Off short contract, Cree all measure lumen the same way, at a fixed distance.

The unit of measurement that is more useful ( and few if any publish it ) is Lux.
Lux changes as it is lumen spread over a given area, which means Spot vs Flood with the same LED would produce 2 different values for lux.

I would take a SWAG and say your math is not too far from true, but what are each light head in the bar ? Flood, fog, Spot and if they are spot, what degree is the spot ( 17*, 30*, other ).

If you have 48 LEDs that have a 17* spot pattern, the total lumen output ( close to the light bar ) very well can be 10,000 lumen total, but it is the summation of the lumen output. At the center, you would see about 300 to 400 lumen, using your estimate on the lumen output per light head.

Every Manufacture is the same way.

Outdoor LED light heads for gas station canopy lighting or parking lot lighting provide output graphs for multiple distances.
This is so they know at a mounting height of x ( they provide multiple distances and can do custom distance ) the light output on the ground is y, so they can do lighting layout to conform to build codes.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:24 AM
dmp
Great post, SSCULLY. (thatswhatSHEsaid)

Old 05-03-2015, 07:15 AM
eyourlife is great light . you can see more review about led light bar

Old 05-07-2015, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by tonytai
eyourlife is great light . you can see more review about led light bar
Totally not a bot^

But seriously, I have the 52" eyourlife and 24" and for the price you really can't beat the output they make, my Rigid pods are definitely brighter than my 24" but, you get what you pay for!

Quick Reply: eyourlife - Chinese LED light bar - 23" - installed