Retrofit Hi-Beams Don't work

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retrofit Hi-Beams Don't work

I have retro'ed a set of FX-R 3 projectors into a set of heads for my 99 F150, and I can't get the high beams to work at all. Both projectors work properly when run straight to 12v, cutoff shield functions, but do not when using Morimoto relay box. Plug for relay box is a 9007 and on the relay side, wires are white, blue, and red, plug on truck side is black, grn/blk, and org/blk. No mater which combo of red, white and blue I tried, all I can get is low beams. On the truck side, black is ground, and in center of plug, with low, and high on either side. I have tried using red, white, and blue in the ground position in the blue 9007 plug, with same result. Could my relay box be bad? How can I test?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sledman62
I have retro'ed a set of FX-R 3 projectors into a set of heads for my 99 F150, and I can't get the high beams to work at all. Both projectors work properly when run straight to 12v, cutoff shield functions, but do not when using Morimoto relay box. Plug for relay box is a 9007 and on the relay side, wires are white, blue, and red, plug on truck side is black, grn/blk, and org/blk. No mater which combo of red, white and blue I tried, all I can get is low beams. On the truck side, black is ground, and in center of plug, with low, and high on either side. I have tried using red, white, and blue in the ground position in the blue 9007 plug, with same result. Could my relay box be bad? How can I test?
Did you bench-test the projectors, and harness BEFORE installing into the truck? If not, you should have. Typical Canuck mistake

Try energizing the shields themselves with a 9-12 vdc source to verify their operation.

If they work yer problem lies in one of: relay harness, plug ( pins pushed in? ), or yer vehicle's wiring. Use a DMM ( or a test light) to verify the pin assignments are correct.

Read: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/diy...ess-guide.html

Also - you paid good money for it - use TRS Support. That is what they are for.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 09-22-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:35 PM
I have tested both projectors for function, before install, and I also have tested shields with 12v source, and they function correctly. So it's a bad relay box, or mis-wired plug. Can anyone tell me which of the three wires from the relay box is the ground?red, white, or blue? How can I test which is high, and low?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:42 PM
I have tested both projectors for function, before install, and I also have tested shields with 12v source, and they function correctly. So it's a bad relay box, or mis-wired plug. Can anyone tell me which of the three wires from the relay box is the ground?red, white, or blue? How can I test which is high, and low?
If you followed the danged link I provided it would tell yall. "Nudder typical Canuckistanian foible

Test? - the danged TEST LIGHT !!! And a FUSED 12 vdc source ( or converted PC power supply ).

First principles! Return to halogens and test function - does the TRUCK's electrics work as intended? Trace from there - it's not a complicated arrangement, but without some simple test equipment and a cogent plan yer spinning in circles.

PINOUT:

Name:  9004vs9007bulb.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  31.2 KB

In short: Colors do not matter - Verified, observed function per wire matters.

BTW - May also wanna consider words like 'please' and thankee' ... don't currently see a line of folks heppin' yalls .... manners do count, youngin' ...

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 09-22-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Okay then, halogen lights work as intended so no issue with truck wiring, as for test light, I do not have, and am not aware of how to use one. I do have a multimeter. Can you explain how I can find the ground, high and low wire coming from the relay?

Old 09-22-2014, 10:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If these are brand new retrofits then the only wires you should have swapped were the blue and white on the plug that goes to your OEM 9007.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:32 PM
I bought this kit in early 2013, and I'm just getting it together now. Is there an issue with older models?

So far, the low beams are pretty stellar.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:01 PM
Shouldn't be I used their 9007 relay on my retro in 2013 and it worked perfect. They have updated the relay but shouldn't be any problems. I mean their is a chance it could be bad, but I doubt it.
Your best bet is get the wiring back to where it was when you got it, then swap the blue and white wires. That'll fix it

Old 09-23-2014, 05:25 PM
According to info I found over at TRS, white is ground, blue is high, and brown is low, so I wired up the blue plug in that fashion. Using my meter, I found the wire with 12v, when high beam switch was active, and matched it to the blue. I wired black to white, as the truck is black for ground, and brown went to the last spot in the plug. When I disconnect the relay box, and probe the wire connector,the brown has power on low beam, blue has power on high beam, and white acts as ground, so I am guessing wiring is good till there. When connected and running, activating the high beam switch, and probing the connector for the projector solenoid, there is no 12v present.So all that's left in the middle is the silver relay box.

What's inside this magic box?Can I open and fix?

Old 09-23-2014, 05:47 PM
According to info I found over at TRS, white is ground, blue is high, and brown is low, so I wired up the blue plug in that fashion. Using my meter, I found the wire with 12v, when high beam switch was active, and matched it to the blue. I wired black to white, as the truck is black for ground, and brown went to the last spot in the plug. When I disconnect the relay box, and probe the wire connector,the brown has power on low beam, blue has power on high beam, and white acts as ground, so I am guessing wiring is good till there. When connected and running, activating the high beam switch, and probing the connector for the projector solenoid, there is no 12v present.So all that's left in the middle is the silver relay box.

What's inside this magic box?Can I open and fix?
No.

And - why would you want/need to? (I reckon opening same would handily void the warranty).

That's what warranty is for.

Did you email Tech Support? Always been VERY responsive to me - incredibly so, in fact.

Good luck, fellow Canuckistanian... seriously - I can appreciate yer frustration. And - Larry-At is one o' the good guys (unlike me )

Regards;
MGD

Old 09-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Yep, I would say it's warranty time. They have always been very friendly and helpful with me on warranty claims. And they usually get your package out next day air thru UPS.

Thankee MGD, it's very much appreciate buddy.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by thelariat02
Yep, I would say it's warranty time. They have always been very friendly and helpful with me on warranty claims. And they usually get your package out next day air thru UPS.

Thankee MGD, it's very much appreciate buddy.
Hey!

Very well-deserved!

PS:

OT: I need to hack a NEST thermostat! Hep, oh HVAC Guru

Old 09-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Thanks for all the help, guys.Anything electrical is "spooky" to me, so I appreciate the guidance. I fired off an email to TRS a few hours ago, I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all the help, guys.Anything electrical is "spooky" to me, so I appreciate the guidance. I fired off an email to TRS a few hours ago, I'll keep you posted.
Outstanding!

Those folks are ALL great people. They are growing in leaps & bounds and hence have been known to drop the ball on occasion (only human, after all), but they WILL take care of you!

Reference this thread if you need to.

Very best of luck, eh!

Regards;
MGD

Old 09-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan

Hey!

Very well-deserved!

PS:

OT: I need to hack a NEST thermostat! Hep, oh HVAC Guru
Couldn't help you I only fix things that are broken