Bulbs blown?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bulbs blown?

This morning i couldnt get my headlights to come on. Hi beam, fog lights and all turn signals work still. Yesterday. All my lights worked. I checked the fuse and the ground all good. So whats the chance the lo beam bulbs just blew over night sitting?

Old 09-30-2013, 07:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How did you check both fuses ?
- Meter each pin on the back of the fuse to a known good ground while installed or pull the fuse, stare at it and call it good ?

when you post you checked the ground, is this for the ground at the bulb connector ?
- If so, how did you check it ?

Old 09-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulled fuse wasnt burnt/ blown. The ground thats coming from the bulb. Its not cut and where it connects to the frame osnt corroded or anything

Old 09-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
OK, so neither is really checked, just looked at.

You are going to need a meter or test light.

You will want to have the fuses installed, and turn on the main headlamp switch, and make sure the MFS is in the low position.

From a know good ground, test to each pin on the back of the fuse while it is installed.
You should have the + VDC value on both sides of the fuse.
If you do, move on, if you do not have + VDC on one side of the fuse, replace the fuse(s).

Next you will want to unplug the bulb connector from the bulb, and check for + VDC at the connector.
3 Wires, black is ground, light green w/ black stripe wire is high beams ( same on both sides ) the remainder ( different on each side ) is the low beam.

You will want to check for + VDC on the low beam wire to both the ground in the bulb connector and to the lug on the fender wall.

If you have +VDC, you have blown out bulbs, if you do not have +VDC, time to work you way back to the fuse that works correctly.

The other option ( i.e. when you hear hooves, think horses not zebras ) is to replace one of the bulbs and try it.

Possible, but not probable, that both would go out at the same exact time when you flip the switch, but that does not mean it does not happen.

Quick Reply: Bulbs blown?