Go Back   F150online Forums > Body > Illumination & Lighting
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!





Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150
Posts: 37
New HID fog lights for 2013 F-150

My King Ranch came with HID headlights from Ford, but they didn't think the fogs needed it, so I got the lovely yellow halogens to go with the nice white HID's. I found some replacement HID fogs on Ebay and installed them. The picture is kind of hard to tell, but as you are looking at it, the HID is on the right and the stock is on the left. This morning on the way to work, I could really tell the difference. They put out a bid flood pattern, not a spot. At 0430 there is not alot of traffic, I'm curious what oncoming traffic thinks about it. I noticed as I drove under a bridge the light was shinning on the underside of the bridge, so it is throughing a big arch.

Here is the link for the lights if you are interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200852540768...ht_6147wt_1154


Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Senior Member
2007 Ford F-150
My Garage
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NY
Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
Posts: 1,587
Looks good so far .... are they projectors or just Plug and Play?

I have PNP in headlights and Fogs and nobody bothers me no flashing or nothing and the visibility that I have gained over Halogen is insurmountable.
__________________

2007 F150 XLT 4x4
Drivetrain - Gotts Mod, Custom Tune's PHP Edge CTS, Roush Off Road Cat Back, Ceramic Brake Pads BrakePerformance.com Slotted and Dimpled up front Slotted in the rear
Interior - Weather Tech mats
Exterior - Rough Country 6" Lift, Moto Metal MO951 18x9" Chrome Rims, Toyo Open Country M/T's 35"x12.50, HID Headlights + Fogs from TRS, LED Turn signals and brake lights, PlasmaGlow under tailgate light, PIAA 1500 reverse lights
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor
2002 Ford HD #04417
My Garage
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In the fast lane from LA to Tokyo...
Vehicle: 2002 FORD/HD #04417
Posts: 10,269
you'd been a lot more happy with a retrofitted hid projector....

PnP bulb swaps suck....sorry its not worth it
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88racing View Post
you'd been a lot more happy with a retrofitted hid projector....

PnP bulb swaps suck....sorry its not worth it
These are the plug n play. I don't guess I realized they made a projector fog that fit in the same spot as the stock...or I didn't look hard enough. I don't do any woods or really dark area driving, as I live in the city, so I wasn't looking for anything with great distance, the stock HID headlights do a really good job at that. I was mainly looking to match the light color, as I thought it looked odd having a set of white and a set of yellow lights.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Senior Member
2007 Ford F-150
My Garage
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NY
Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
Posts: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88racing View Post
you'd been a lot more happy with a retrofitted hid projector....

PnP bulb swaps suck....sorry its not worth it
I'd have to disagree with you 88

PNP is greater than even OEM projectors IMO ..... I can't stand that cutoff line it bothers the heck out of me ... why when I'm going down a hill with cars coming do I not want to see ahead of me it's just pitch black.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Senior Member
2006 Lincoln Mark LT
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte N.C.
Vehicle: 2006 Lincoln Mark LT
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
I'd have to disagree with you 88

PNP is greater than even OEM projectors IMO ..... I can't stand that cutoff line it bothers the heck out of me ... why when I'm going down a hill with cars coming do I not want to see ahead of me it's just pitch black.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
2007 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: U.P. of Michigan
Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
Posts: 1,546
Usually PNP in fogs cause a mass amount of glare. If you just want color go back to halogen and get the tinted bulbs.. Your fellow drivers will thank you..

Now if you really want hid fogs go with a match box projector from TRS or swap over to fusion fogs. That way you won't cause glare onto on coming traffic..

Also fogs aren't meant for distance they are meant to be aimed directly in front of you so it cuts under said "fog" or "rain"
__________________

So far she's stock with an edge canned tuned. Gotta pay to play and.. well.... most places don't take IOUs

07 F150 -> Retrofit
2002 F150 -> Retrofit
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor
1998 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Live Oak, FL
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F-150
Posts: 10,448
Raptor05121 Raptor05121
Send a message via AIM to Raptor05121 Send a message via MSN to Raptor05121 Send a message via Yahoo to Raptor05121
double post

Last edited by Raptor05121; 07-24-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Technical Article Contributor
1998 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Live Oak, FL
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F-150
Posts: 10,448
Raptor05121 Raptor05121
Send a message via AIM to Raptor05121 Send a message via MSN to Raptor05121 Send a message via Yahoo to Raptor05121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
Looks good so far .... are they projectors or just Plug and Play?

I have PNP in headlights and Fogs and nobody bothers me no flashing or nothing and the visibility that I have gained over Halogen is insurmountable.
Just because people don't flash you doesnt mean you arent blinding the hell out of them. I have around 7,000 lumens coming out of my projectors and my sister drove my truck for 45 minutes with the high beams on (let me tell you, those suckers HURT your eyes) without getting flashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockets
I'd have to disagree with you 88

PNP is greater than even OEM projectors IMO ..... I can't stand that cutoff line it bothers the heck out of me ... why when I'm going down a hill with cars coming do I not want to see ahead of me it's just pitch black.
You are telling me this



is better than this?



Many of us projector enthusiasts like the hardcore, sharp cutoff. However, most projectors have a soft cutoff and even squirrel spotters which dampen the light and give you decent all around visibility above the cutoff, without blinding drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsmokeater View Post
These are the plug n play. I don't guess I realized they made a projector fog that fit in the same spot as the stock...or I didn't look hard enough. I don't do any woods or really dark area driving, as I live in the city, so I wasn't looking for anything with great distance, the stock HID headlights do a really good job at that. I was mainly looking to match the light color, as I thought it looked odd having a set of white and a set of yellow lights.
Why do you need fog lights in the city?

PnP is both dangerous and illegal. If you live in a state with inspections, they will fail you. Many places are also taking legal ramification against those who run them. Personally, I have been spearheading the movement here. I've already talked to my local police chief and sheriff who have passed the word to their officers. Down here we have rednecks who lift the front end of their truck and run 8000K HIDs in their heads AND fogs which creates a wall of glare.

The design of the arc inside HID capsules is not meant to be used in reflectors designed for long, dark filaments. When you double the output and put it in a narrow field of view, you are blinding people. Its the same thing as walking with a MagLight twisted to a wide beam and then twisting it to a sharp, powerful beam and shining it in someones eyes.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor
2002 Ford HD #04417
My Garage
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In the fast lane from LA to Tokyo...
Vehicle: 2002 FORD/HD #04417
Posts: 10,269
The only thing that the OP should've swapped to get better light output is the OEM fluted projector lens+projector bowl and changed it to a clear one+EVO projector bowl.....far far better than stock output....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Senior Member
2007 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: U.P. of Michigan
Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
Posts: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88racing View Post
The only thing that the OP should've swapped to get better light output is the OEM fluted projector lens+projector bowl and changed it to a clear one+EVO projector bowl.....far far better than stock output....
^ that!
Simple and very effective
__________________

So far she's stock with an edge canned tuned. Gotta pay to play and.. well.... most places don't take IOUs

07 F150 -> Retrofit
2002 F150 -> Retrofit
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150
Posts: 37
Raptor, I understand what you are saying about the "wall of glare", but the fogs I put in are 6000 and my factory HID headlights are 6500 (so the dealership told me when I asked), so I am using a less powerful (not by much but it is less) fog light so I shouldn't be creating any blinding issues.....I hope.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Senior Member
2007 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: U.P. of Michigan
Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
Posts: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsmokeater View Post
Raptor, I understand what you are saying about the "wall of glare", but the fogs I put in are 6000 and my factory HID headlights are 6500 (so the dealership told me when I asked), so I am using a less powerful (not by much but it is less) fog light so I shouldn't be creating any blinding issues.....I hope.
Your stock fogs are like 500 lumens.. I think.. By far a lot less.
Plus glare is light being sent where you don't want it not necessarily just how bright it is.
And do you mean 6000 lumens or 6000 Kelvin. The two are totally different and have nothing to do with each other..
__________________

So far she's stock with an edge canned tuned. Gotta pay to play and.. well.... most places don't take IOUs

07 F150 -> Retrofit
2002 F150 -> Retrofit
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelariat02 View Post
Your stock fogs are like 500 lumens.. I think.. By far a lot less.
Plus glare is light being sent where you don't want it not necessarily just how bright it is.
And do you mean 6000 lumens or 6000 Kelvin. The two are totally different and have nothing to do with each other..
I guess that does make sense. Well if I end up not liking them or get too many flashes, I'll consider changing them. At least I don't have a lot of time or money invested in them. Where is a good place to look for those EVO ones you guys were talking about? I was unaware of those.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Senior Member
2007 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: U.P. of Michigan
Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
Posts: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsmokeater View Post

I guess that does make sense. Well if I end up not liking them or get too many flashes, I'll consider changing them. At least I don't have a lot of time or money invested in them. Where is a good place to look for those EVO ones you guys were talking about? I was unaware of those.
The best we can do is help you know the danger it may cause. Once you understand what might happen I know I did my job and the rest is up to you...

You can find evox-r at theretrofitsource.com . You may wanna look up the swap on line first before making a decision. Look for a thread done by tuxedoblack. He has done these swaps.
__________________

So far she's stock with an edge canned tuned. Gotta pay to play and.. well.... most places don't take IOUs

07 F150 -> Retrofit
2002 F150 -> Retrofit
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:18 PM


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 AM.


 
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Contact Us Advertising Privacy Statement Terms of Service Jobs Forum Text Archives
Emails & Contact Details