Wiring Recon Big Rig Ice question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring Recon Big Rig Ice question

Just installed my Recon Big Rig Ice running LED lights bar with no problems. Connected the amber LED's to the turn signal and to head lights and everything works fine.
Now I am on the white courtesy LED's and it says in the Recon instructions simply connect the wire to the dome light/cargo fuse on the fuse panel which I did. But the problem is they are not going, they are steadily on. Anyboby can tell me what the way to do it right?? Thanks for your help, guys.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
They are always on, you mean? That indicates you are connected to a power wire that isnt switched with the dome light. What MY truck do you have?

Old 12-11-2011, 05:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The yellow is on with the turn signal, and the white is a puddle lamp

post some info on your truck or complete your profile so we know which way to go

Old 12-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Yes they are always on. I know that I found the right fuse, because if I am pulling the fuse out the dome light has no power. I am just talking about the white LED's in the bar. I want to use them as courtesy lights, they should go on and off together with the dome light. My truck is a 1999 F250.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
They are always on, you mean? That indicates you are connected to a power wire that isnt switched with the dome light. What MY truck do you have?
Yes they are always on. I know that I found the right fuse, because if I am pulling the fuse out the dome light has no power. I am just talking about the white LED's in the bar. I want to use them as courtesy lights, they should go on and off together with the dome light. My truck is a 1999 F250.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:22 PM

That fuse is a constant-powered fuse from the battery. The switch that allows the electricity to continue to the dome lamp is located on the headlamp switch or door panel so you need to find another source. SSCULLY might be able to pull a diagram for you.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:00 PM

Raptor might be right there. If he had the same thought I had, 1 more step and it might be solved.

Do you doors have the courtesy lamps in them ?
- Up to 2001 the doors had these, but you did not post the trim level on your MY F-250.

If they are in the door, the interior lamp relay output is the Black w/ Light Blue stripe wire.

The lamp in the door will go to the rubber boot from the door to the A-pillar. The inside of the A-pillar up under the dash the wires for the door are there, would take a few min to find it, but it would be on both sides.

Can you confirm the trim level on your truck, and if you have the door courtesy lamps.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Raptor might be right there. If he had the same thought I had, 1 more step and it might be solved.

Do you doors have the courtesy lamps in them ?
- Up to 2001 the doors had these, but you did not post the trim level on your MY F-250.

If they are in the door, the interior lamp relay output is the Black w/ Light Blue stripe wire.

The lamp in the door will go to the rubber boot from the door to the A-pillar. The inside of the A-pillar up under the dash the wires for the door are there, would take a few min to find it, but it would be on both sides.

Can you confirm the trim level on your truck, and if you have the door courtesy lamps.
Thank u for your response also to Raptor.
Trim level is XLT and I don't have any door lamps. Can't even find a switch in the door which turns the dome light on and off. I assume I have to let it go to connect the white LEDs to the dome light. Do you have any other idea to get this done? I appreciate your support.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:22 PM

The "switch" in the door I was referring to is when you open the door. That and the actual dome switch on the headlight panel are the two ways it lights up.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:41 PM

I would call last resort for running up the a pillar to the overhead to get it.

You can get the courtesy lamps from :

1. Right at the cab fuse panel, output of the interior lamp relay.
2. The glove box lamp

The cab fuse panel has a few connectors on it. You are looking for C242, pin #20 is the dome lamp and is that Black w. light blue stripe wire I was talking about.

This would require you to run the wire from the driver's side to the passenger side, but would get you there all the same.

The switch at the door is switching ground not power to turn on the interior lamp relay, don't bother going for that.

Quick Reply: Wiring Recon Big Rig Ice question