backup lights install 2006 f150 supercrew

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
backup lights install 2006 f150 supercrew

Hey guys,
I'm wanting to install some backup lights on my truck. Thought I'd use some cheap 55 watt driving lights. I am a noob when it comes to electrical work and don't want to screw anything up. I do have some help from my father (retired electrical engineer), but I'm wanting to get ya'lls opinion on the best way to run the wiring so that I don't damage my electrical system. What I'm trying to accomplish is I want to mount a 3-way toggle that will allow me to do always on, always off, and on when my truck is in reverse.

I figure for always on I can follow the instructions that will come with the lights, unless anyone has a better suggestion. Always off isn't a problem, but what would be the best way to tie into the backup lights? From the technical pages it looks like there is a bunch of wiring that runs under the drivers side door kick panel. I also know there's a lot of wiring that runs underneth the truck. At the very least I would run plastic covering to run the light wires in, and then zip tie those to the existing plastic tubing.

Any suggestions on switch mounting too would be appriciated. I really like the look of mounting a switches by the cigarette lighter, but I'm not sure they make a round 3-position switch that I could mount there. Any other gotcha's I should be aware of?

Some other lighting projects I want to do is install some LED light tubes under the dash and front seats to put lighting on the floor board when the interior lights are turned on. I've also been researching putting some lighting under the truck that will also come on with the interior lights. I want to put lights on my nerf bars because my girlfriend was getting in one night and slipped off the nerf bar. From what I've found so far it looks like ground effects lighting might be my best option. If anyone knows of something better let me know. I'm not into running ground effect lighting all the time, just something that will allow some light on the nerf bars when stepping up into the truck. They're the stock (I assume) nerf bars. With these lighting additions, do I need to upgrade the battery or am I ok since these lights wont be on all the time?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Dan

Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check this thread out - it may be what you're lookin' for

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...-how-pics.html

Last edited by My06Screw; 05-10-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks, that's where I got the idea to run the plastic tubing for the wires under the truck. I guess I didn't read close enough to see the fuse box and what not. Sorry for that. I thought about just tying them into the reverse lights, but there are times when I'd like to have them on without putting the truck in reverse (locking gates behind me durning hunting seasons, hooking up trailers at night). That's what gave me the idea to use a 3 way switch.

Thanks again.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I recently installed some reverse lights wired to a SPDT switch ... I'm real happy w/ the way they work. I've got them wired on w/ reverse - off - on w/ parking lights. I wired them on w/ parking lights so I'm less likely to drain my battery if I accidentally leave them on (they will turn off once the parking lights are turned off).

Old 05-13-2011, 09:06 PM
That's a good idea, thanks!

Quick Reply: backup lights install 2006 f150 supercrew