Normal for A/C to not blow cold at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC
About how much should I expect to pay to have someone drain and refill the A/C coolant? I have the stuff to add refrigerant here at home, but the "gauge" is showing in the yellow area, which it says indicates a problem.
you can buy a can for 60 bucks at local autoparts store and diy. Make sure you shake well and turn an upside down.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:11 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I noticed recently that a set of AC gauges is one of the tools that Autozone loans.

And you shouldn't turn the can upside down. Doing so puts liquid into the system instead of gas and if a slug of liquid gets to the compressor, it could be destroyed. I know everybody has done it to some extent but it isn't risk free. I have a full gauge set and I set the refirgerant can in a container full of hot water so it will evaporate quicker.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
I noticed recently that a set of AC gauges is one of the tools that Autozone loans.

And you shouldn't turn the can upside down. Doing so puts liquid into the system instead of gas and if a slug of liquid gets to the compressor, it could be destroyed. I know everybody has done it to some extent but it isn't risk free. I have a full gauge set and I set the refirgerant can in a container full of hot water so it will evaporate quicker.
step 8

http://acprocold.com/instructions/acp-100-instructions/

Old 08-28-2016, 06:53 PM
When the refrigerant can is "empty", that means there is no more liquid. Turning it upside down at this point does nothing. There will always be some gas left in the can because is is at equilibrium with the low side of the AC when all of the liquid has evaporated.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:59 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The only time you should turn the can upside down is if you are doing a full evacuation and recharge. Pull a full vacuum with a pump for an hour, then connect the inverted cans to the HIGH side - DO NOT start the engine. When charging with the engine running and the A/C on, you connect to the LOW side and do NOT invert the can.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:05 AM
If you are adding oil from one of those cans that has about 3 ozs of oil and a small amount of refrigerant, you do need to invert that can so the small amount of refrigerant will push out the oil. Otherwise the refrigerant will leave the can and the oil will be left in the can.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:20 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
If you're charging into a hard vacuum with the engine off and using a manifold set, it doesn't matter a bit which port you use, you can use both if you want to. However, if you're using one of those cans with a single hose, it's impossible to connect to the high side anyway. They made it impossible for you to earn a Darwin award with them.

Old 06-25-2021, 12:21 AM
[QUOTE=Roadie;5201022]It doesn't need "draining".
Lol, that's funny Roadie; not draining, it needs to be set free to be carried away with the wind to places only eagles dream of...haha(P.s. not picking fun at anyone, just thought it was funny). 🤩🥳🤭

Quick Reply: Normal for A/C to not blow cold at idle?