97 f150 A/C leak- repair questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will update when completed... the compressor removal was a bit of a challenge, it had to be fished out of the passenger wheel well after removing the hose manifold, no way I could see to drop it out of the bottom. Also had to disconnect the electrical relay thing from the firewall to gain access to the evaporator connections.. Other than that nothing particularly difficult.. Also one of the condenser line connections had the nut holding on the line completely rusted, would not turn, even after a PB blaster soak.. Decided to cut it off and get a new hose assembly... At this point the extra money spent far outweighs the aggravation and wasted time trying to save old parts...

Old 07-14-2016, 11:13 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The Ford shop manual instructs to take out the compressor from the bottom but I didn't see how it could be done. The starter cable is directly under the compressor and it's hard to get to the hose connection. I would be replacing parts but I just cannot find the leak.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:20 PM
I found my leak by a charge with dye, but it was spewing pretty bad at the compressor shaft. is yours empty now? did you pull a vacuum and did it hold?

Old 07-14-2016, 05:33 PM
Mine has been leaking since I bought the truck in 2009. I added a couple cans of refrigerant every summer. Last summer I added at least 4 and it leaked down completely over the winter. I thought it was the compressor leaking because the starter cable under the compressor was oily. But, after adding a can of dye, I can't find any evidence of leaking.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:48 PM
Finished

OK, just wrapped this up, AC working fine now... the compressor came filled with 3 ounces of Oil, I put the other 4 into the accumulator... Installed the compressor through the wheel well as I had removed it.. Since 2 of the 3 bolts can not be inserted with the thing in place, I put all 3 in ahead of time and held them in place with duct tape, which I removed when tightening... Lubricated all the o-rings with oil before making the connections.. Ran my vacuum pump for 30 mins, got down to 29 lbs on the gauge, would go no lower. Since it took 2 lbs of freon and I used 12 oz cans, I installed 2 full cans, then used a kitchen scale to measure the last 8 ounces out of the third 12 ounce can... Had the 2 bolts on the condenser top brackets both snap, drilled out and re-tapped.. Also the two holding in the primary circuit bracket thing broke also, there was enough left to grab with vice grips to pull out, replaced with new bolts...

Old 07-20-2016, 08:57 PM
Congratulations are in order for doing a fine job!!!

Quick Reply: 97 f150 A/C leak- repair questions