Air Conditioner Compressor wont stop.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioner Compressor wont stop.

my 2003 F150's Air Conditioner Compressor will not stop running unless you put it on vent. is this normal? i think the compressor is suppose to turn off then come back on. is that true? mine just stays running non stop unless its on vent or turned off. or below the shutoff temp for the compressor. the air at the vent says about 42 degrees if it is 70 degrees outside and has been running for about 20 minutes the drain is plugged and the evaporator needs cleaned ( sand or something comes from the carpet when i sweep up the pooled up water in the passenger floor board. ) that is after cleaning the inside of the shopvac before using it and i have weathertechs so its not from my feet. just thought id throw that in just incase it could have something to do with it. the compressor was replaced in 2013 with a cheap one from speedway autoparts ( it is fairly loud ) it had oil put in it and 3 or 4 cans of R134a put in it ( just to hold it until i could get it professionally charged ) then one of the o-rings went bad and it all leaked out and i was without Air conditioning for about a year and a half. i had to use the defrosters a few times without refrigerant ( or very little ) in the system... it was vacuumed down and recharged professionally last summer. the compressor did the exact thing until i unhooked the battery to clean the mass airflow sensor. any ideas? the truck has the electronic climate if that matters. The truck said it was 67 degrees outside in this video.
the truck has the electronic climate control if that matters

Last edited by Black KingRanch; 03-23-2016 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:32 PM
bump? anyone?? it cycles on every setting but for max ac. it cycles on max ac after literally running for HOURS

Old 07-07-2016, 04:32 PM
Put some gauges on both low and high side lines and post the pressures on max a/c. The compressor cycles WAY LESS when the blower fan is on high. I am not sure what the video was supposed to show other than a newer tire and clean wheel????

Last edited by Paul888; 07-07-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by Paul888
Put some gauges on both low and high side lines and post the pressures on max a/c. The compressor cycles WAY LESS when the blower fan is on high. I am not sure what the video was supposed to show other than a newer tire and clean wheel????
well. It's to show what the compressor sounds like. An YouTube was the only thing I know how to upload videos / sound clips onto. But i will try to put gauges on it tomorrow. Thank you for the help. I'll post a photo of the readings from the gauges.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:04 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
The high pressure switch is what triggers the compressor to cycle.

You're probably low on refridgerant

Old 07-13-2016, 12:53 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
It's the LOW pressure switch that's supposed to cause the compressor to cycle. If the high side switch is causing it to cycle, the system has a very serious failure that's causing excessive head pressure.

It is completely normal for the compressor to operate in all settings except OFF, VENT, and FLOOR for a manual system. For an EATC system, it's a bit different, consult your owner's manual.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
You're correct, guess I wasn't quite as awake as I thought I was

Old 07-13-2016, 03:28 PM
More coffee!!!

Old 07-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
It's the LOW pressure switch that's supposed to cause the compressor to cycle. If the high side switch is causing it to cycle, the system has a very serious failure that's causing excessive head pressure.

It is completely normal for the compressor to operate in all settings except OFF, VENT, and FLOOR for a manual system. For an EATC system, it's a bit different, consult your owner's manual.
the compressor cycles on floor and panel. And defrost. But on Max ac and auto it never cycles. It just constantly runs

Old 07-14-2016, 06:08 PM
the compressor cycles on floor and panel. And defrost. But on Max ac and auto it never cycles. It just constantly runs
Did you check your owner's manual yet so you KNOW how it's supposed to work?

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner Compressor wont stop.