plugged air conditioner drain..

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
plugged air conditioner drain..

as the title says.. my air conditioner drain is plugged. i've taken the wheel well liner out and took the cover off ( cut actually ) and attempted to clear it with a clothing hanger. a few drops.. tried some compressed air. a little more water.. put back together and it still drains into the passenger floorboard.. dash has to be removed ( pulled back ) now doesn't it?.. i hate having to use the shop vac every time i have to use the air conditioner.. found what looked to be sand / pebbles from the floor ( with the water ) usually about a shot glass full of water gets swept up after 1 day. any tips or photos on what to do and how to fix this issue? i would appreciate it thanks guys ( and maybe some girls? )

Old 09-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I would try to clear it the same way that you clear a household AC drain. Use a wet vac and go to the outside drain and put the vacuum cleaner hose over the drain and SUCCK to gunk out of it. Using compressed air will only push the gunk tighter into the obstruction or back into the AC unit. Using a water hose is probably worse, since it will fill your AC unit with water which could then overflow into the cab.

Where is the sand and pebbles coming from? Have you been driving through sand storms?? You might need to figure out a way to add a screen or a filter of some sort to the outside air vent. Getting leaves and pine straw inside the AC unit via the air vent is a common problem here in Florida. On several cars, I've covered the air intact at the base of the windshield with 1/4 inch galvanized hardware cloth to prevent ingesting leaves, etc. You'd need something finer; a piece of nylon stocking might work and is very flexible.

You might try clearing the obstruction with something more flexible than a coat hanger. Try a piece of solid core copper electrical wire or a piece is iron baling wire (also used for hanging suspended ceilings and many other uses, and available in most hardware and HD stores.)

Old 09-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joe51
I would try to clear it the same way that you clear a household AC drain. Use a wet vac and go to the outside drain and put the vacuum cleaner hose over the drain and SUCCK to gunk out of it. Using compressed air will only push the gunk tighter into the obstruction or back into the AC unit. Using a water hose is probably worse, since it will fill your AC unit with water which could then overflow into the cab.

Where is the sand and pebbles coming from? Have you been driving through sand storms?? You might need to figure out a way to add a screen or a filter of some sort to the outside air vent. Getting leaves and pine straw inside the AC unit via the air vent is a common problem here in Florida. On several cars, I've covered the air intact at the base of the windshield with 1/4 inch galvanized hardware cloth to prevent ingesting leaves, etc. You'd need something finer; a piece of nylon stocking might work and is very flexible.

You might try clearing the obstruction with something more flexible than a coat hanger. Try a piece of solid core copper electrical wire or a piece is iron baling wire (also used for hanging suspended ceilings and many other uses, and available in most hardware and HD stores.)
The previous owner worked on job sites and the bedsides were filled with rocks. And I can modify the truck to have a cabin air filter if that is what you were suggesting.. And I like the ideas.. Only problem is that the air conditioner drain is behind the motor. and I just need it unplugged. The crap that is clogging it up is defiantly pebbles and sand. I don't park anyplace where stuff can get in the vents ( If I see something then I usually get it out before I start the truck )

Last edited by Black KingRanch; 09-14-2015 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: plugged air conditioner drain..