Ac compressor sounds like high pitched horn

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 03:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ac compressor sounds like high pitched horn

Ac was blowing cold and working fine. Started the truck, turned it on and when the compressor engaged it sounded like a loud horn. Guessing it's the bearing went and sent shrapnel through the system?

Any issue with driving it for a day like this? Obviously I won't be using the ac. I just want to make sure the pulley for the ac compressor won't seize up too and take out my serpentine belt.

Also, anyone had this issue resolved? What was the outcome and ballpark price wise? Ford dealer was estimating somewhere under $1k.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not sure if you fixed yours already but mine sounded like that as well. Turned out to be a failed a/c clutch .. cheap fix.

see here:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...eal-fixed.html

Old 09-06-2015, 12:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nscirocco
not sure if you fixed yours already but mine sounded like that as well. Turned out to be a failed a/c clutch .. cheap fix.

see here:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...eal-fixed.html
Mine needed a whole new compressor. With labor and all else, it was $1200. I wish I could have said it was a cheap fix.

And who knows, it could have just been as easy as the clutch. But the shop replaced the whole thing before I was able to really dig into it. Just didn't have time unfortunately.

Glad yours was an easy fix. And thanks for adding the link. Could become helpful to others and help people save a few $$.

Quick Reply: Ac compressor sounds like high pitched horn