AC issues???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC issues???

Not sure if I am having a problem with my AC so I figured I would ask you all.
I have an 06 FX4 quad cab with a 5.4 the AC doesnt blow very cold when starting up or sitting still for an extended period of time. Now I notice it more when its like 95 or above so I am not sure if this is normal or what and I dont remember having anything like this with any of my other F-150s I have owned in the past. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Where are you and how hot is it outside? Get a thermometer and see what the AC vent temperature is AND the inside cab temp when you first start. The difference between the vent temp and the cab temp will tell if the AC is working properly. The vent temp should be close to the same as the cab temp before you start the engine but you should see the vent temp drop to the 50s in less than a minute. It should drop to mid 40s after driving for a bit. After driving for about 10 minutes or more check the cab and vent temps again and see what the difference is.

If vent temp goes up when idling AFTER driving and cooling down most likely, your AC condenser is dirty or partially blocked. If vent goes up after driving for perhaps 1/2 hour or more then your evaporator maybe freezing up. Often low freon will cause that. Or perhaps a defective expansion valve.

Is the compressor clicking off and on?

Old 06-23-2015, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in Nashville Tn and today it was 97!! the Compressor is clicking on and off. I am going to change the cabin filter tomorrow and clean the condenser to see if that helps..any other suggestions?

Old 06-24-2015, 12:00 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
If you want it fixed right, I'd take it to a pro for a proper service.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:29 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
If the compressor is cutting off and on, it most likely needs refrigerant. Take it to someone who has a gauge set and check the pressures and add as needed.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:41 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
If the compressor is cutting off and on, it most likely needs refrigerant. Take it to someone who has a gauge set and check the pressures and add as needed.
Maybe, maybe not. It might by cycling due to overpressure from an issue in or around the condenser.

If you don't use gauges to look at the pressure in BOTH sides of the system, you're simply guessing.

Quick Reply: AC issues???