Knocking sound when AC is engagued

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking sound when AC is engagued

Can you please help me diagnose this? My AC Compressor makes a chattering noise when engaged. I am trying to figure out if this is a clutch replacement or the whole compressor.

I took this video it it helps"

I will not be running the compressor as a precaution. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 06-16-2015, 08:00 PM
could be the pulley bearing going bad or the whole unit. Take the belt off and spin pulley by hand, if ok then it the compressor going bad

Old 06-17-2015, 07:31 AM
The noise may be caused bythe tensioner.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:37 PM
Quick update. I took the belt off and the AC pulley spins freely with no side to side play. I can turn the outer clutch by hand and the compressor turns by hand..

I took it to a local mechanic I found on Craigslist, and he thinks the AC compressor is starved of oil and on in the early stages of going out...

I did find a lose idler pulley, it is the grooved idler pulley, but when I listen to the noise it sounds like it is coming from the compressor..

I might see if I can find an automotive stethoscope to pinpoint the noise more precisely... Is there anything i can do in a last ditch effort to see if it is the clutch before I have my mechanic replace the whole AC system??

Old 06-19-2015, 09:18 AM
he thinks the AC compressor is starved of oil and on in the early stages of going out...
I think he is right. if you don't have money to fix it and don't need ac, disconnect the power to it. The clutch will not be the problem.

Quick Reply: Knocking sound when AC is engagued