2012 FX4 - Refrigerant smell in cab after startup (band-aid smell)

Old 04-15-2014, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 FX4 - Refrigerant smell in cab after startup (band-aid smell)

My problem is almost identical to an earlier thread, but it looked like that thread has died. Ford seems to have responded (or was going to) but I don't know the resolution.

Here's the problem. The truck's less than two years old with 25,000 miles. It's been used for normal driving in a temperate climate, so plenty of heat usage and plenty of A/C usage. To this day, I have never had a problem maintaining temperature - heat works, A/C works, and defrost works. As such I have no reason to suspect the blend door.

When I start the car after it has been sitting for a bit of time (usually overnight), I smell refrigerant in the cab. It is fairly strong at first (it's been described as band-aid smell, which I didn't place until I heard it), but dissipates relatively quickly. If I open the high pressure side under the hood and smell the valve, it's the same smell, so I'm about 99% sure it's refrigerant. It is not coolant, and there is no water on the passenger side floor, so it's not the heater core.

On searching other forums, it seems like a problem with the evaporator. What exactly that is I have no idea, because everything is working just fine. We had a few 80 degree days and the A/C worked without a problem.

One other thing, which is probably very important, is that the A/C no longer drips water. It works fine and last summer it used to pour out a river, but now there is not even a drop under the cab after an hour or more of A/C. I don't think these two factors are a coincidence.

I'm hoping for some information here - how to check the drain, for example - or anything, because if I take it in to the dealer (where it should be under warranty), two things will happen - one, they will just spray air freshener in the vents, which does nothing to solve the problem, and two, they probably won't even smell it because it will not have been sitting long enough to smell it.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flint7
... I'm hoping for some information here - how to check the drain, for example - or anything, because if I take it in to the dealer (where it should be under warranty), two things will happen - one, they will just spray air freshener in the vents, which does nothing to solve the problem, and two, they probably won't even smell it because it will not have been sitting long enough to smell it.
Flint7,

If you change your mind and decide to take it to the dealer, let me know. Just send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll look into some options.

Ashley

Old 04-15-2014, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

As far as I know, refrigerant has no odor. At least when I use to work with it many moons ago. Maybe the r-134a has an additive? I don't know. Just like sulfer is added to propane to cause an odor to indicate a leak? The odor may be from the drain being clogged, and the trapped moisture turning mildew. If there is a lot of trapped moisture it can effect the cooling performance, especially when it's humid. I don't know where the drain is located so I can't help you there.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:56 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
You are still on warranty, so take it to a dealer and send Ashley a PM with the requested info.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by FordService
Flint7,

If you change your mind and decide to take it to the dealer, let me know. Just send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll look into some options.

Ashley
On another forum, it seems as though quite a few people are experiencing this. A lot of them are late-model owners (2012-2013) with trucks built in Dearborn, so I'm trying to collect the group's knowledge to better identify the problem. The more the dealer knows, the more they can help.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Scarlet
As far as I know, refrigerant has no odor. At least when I use to work with it many moons ago. Maybe the r-134a has an additive? I don't know. Just like sulfer is added to propane to cause an odor to indicate a leak? The odor may be from the drain being clogged, and the trapped moisture turning mildew. If there is a lot of trapped moisture it can effect the cooling performance, especially when it's humid. I don't know where the drain is located so I can't help you there.
As far as I can tell from searching, R-134A has a slight odor that's described as ether-like or sweet. I can't say for sure what I'm smelling is either of those, but I do know it's not mold or mildew. The thing about the drain is that like you said, if it were clogged it would definitely start to grow mildew and I don't smell that at all.

I've also read that there is a lubricating oil present in the system, so it may not be refrigerant but that oil.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:14 PM
Found the answer..

The local shop took a look and found purple dye around the condenser. That means it's leaking. I was told it is highly toxic. Mine just went out for the 3rd time on my 2012 Fx4 Crewcab... $1400 each repair. Seats and dashboard needed to be removed to fix. Takes about a week for them to do.
The technician told me it happens a lot on the f150's... this is ridiculous..

How do we get help with a class action grievance?

Lou Kalis

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 FX4 - Refrigerant smell in cab after startup (band-aid smell)