01' AC clutch intermittent

Old 09-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' AC clutch intermittent

Here's the deal - hope someone can help me determine next steps. I am not a mechanic, and have limited knowledge about AC systems in general. That said, I like learning and working on my truck and want to take care of this myself if possible. I have kept a 2001 5.4l Supercrew going through 303000 miles so have done some work on it - COP packs and plugs mostly. Truck is daily driver and also used annually for a cross country trip from TX to RI and back in the summer. On the way back to Texas in late August this year, the AC started acting temperamental - blow cold, then hot, then cold. I just had time to look at this more carefully a few days ago and determined that the clutch may be the culprit. When the compressor isn't working (engine running), the serpentine belt turns the pulley, but the clutch? plate (circular with a triangle shape outlined) doesn't turn. I am able to freely rotate this piece by hand (with motor off) which I learned via youtube video was not cool. But, if I rotate it a turn or two, and turn the truck back on, the AC starts working again! Sweet. But then it stops a day or so later. The wife is not happy. Soooo, time to fix.
Is this a worn or slipping clutch issue? If so, should I replace just the clutch or is it wiser to just replace the entire compressor given age of vehicle and pain in the *** factor of removing the unit from the truck in the first place. I use youtube as my tutor for all truck repairs, and have watched
. which gives me confidence that I could do this myself.
Thoughts?

Old 09-06-2019, 08:57 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Check the refrigerant pressures with it working. You will need a gauge set. The clutch won't engage when the suction pressure is too low. You could buy one of those cans of refrigerant that has a suction gauge included but you don't know what the high pressure side is so you are taking a chance of overpressurizing the system. Suction side should be 40psig or maybe even higher at idle when fully charged. It drops when the engine is revved. If that is ok, check the clutch gap.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:06 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Leave the refrigerant alone.

Check your clutch gap for excessive wear first. Desired gap should be .014-.030". If excessive, perform a shimectomy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01' AC clutch intermittent