EATC is Rebuildable

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a 2008 ford f150 Limited. I was having a problem with my electronic heater control. It wouldn,t switch air from the ****pit to the windshield or the floor. It stayed on the ****pit vents full time, even after I got the sybol for the floor or floor and windshield. After reading thru this thread many times, I was sure i had the same problem mentioned in this thread, so I went out a bought the 4, 9/32 o.d. ,5/32 i.d. o rings. I removed the trim cover piece that allowed me to have a look at what was in behind. I removed the 5 plugs that were attached to the trim cover,but didn,t see the items shown in the pictures which are on page 2 of this thread. I used some dielectric grease to coat all the pins and plugs, put it all back together, and the controls now work as they should. I now have 4 spare o rings that I,ve added to my o ring kit. I,m not sure what year they switched to this sytem, but if anyone is having this problem on an 08 or later, maybe this info will help. Does anyone know what year they switched away from the soenoid system to this system ?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Just wanted to say this was an awesome post I followed it step by step and my A/C worked like a champ! Can't explain how relieved I am this worked! Giant THANKYOU to Devilsrighthand!!!

Old 09-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Another success story here. 4 o-rings from the local hardware store and a little determination and now it works like new. I'm so relieved to get my wife's 2002 Navigator cool again and stop her constant threats to take the truck to the stealership for repair. Kudos to Devilsrighthand !

Old 10-04-2011, 01:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
awesome post. Thank you

Old 02-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Time for a bump on this one!

Just saved me $600 thanks to this awesome post! Many thanks!!

I was having problems with the heat not coming out the floor setting, plus a large variance of temperature at any given setting, and more recently it was stuck on Full Hot (out the vents into the face ). This fix seems to have solved it all with no codes on the EATC diagnostic test!

Old 06-13-2012, 07:45 PM
I just did mine today. Simply PERFECT!!!!!!!!
Thanks

Old 07-06-2012, 07:37 PM
cycleboy1200cc

Thanks Mike for posting this thread!! I followed your instructions and rebuilt my auto air. Man I'm so happy to have to turn the temp down cause I'm freezing in here ha ha

Old 07-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by devilsrighthand
OK, this will not fix a blend door problem or a vacuum leak anywhere except in the control head of the EATC unit. So, if you have done all the tests, and are sure it is the control head that is leaking, this will save you a few hundred dollars. I am going to assume you know how to remove and install the control head, so we will start with the unit on a clean and workable surface. I did not take pictures as when I did this, it was strictly exploratory surgery. I wish I had of.

You will need, 4 new o'rings, 9/32 O.D. I found these at my local ACE Hardware store. A pair of needle nose pliers, a small straight blade screwdriver and small phillips screwdriver, a T-20 torx head driver and maybe a medium flat blade screwdriver.

With the unit out and laying on your work surface, look at the back side and you will see 2, T-20 torx head screws, remove these. Now you can lift up on the back of the unit and remove the bottom, lift the back up and pull towards you, there are 2 tabs at the front that will slide out of there respective slots.
When you get the bottom off, you will see the wire that runs from the vacuum actuators to the circuit board, unplug this from the circuit board and set the top half of the control head aside. Turn the bottom over so you can see the 10 phillips head screws, and remove all 10. Also set aside the strap that holds down the vacuum manifold.
Now lift the vacuum manifold and the actuators off the bottom of the unit, it will all lift in one piece. The black plastic unit down the middle is the vacuum manifold and there are 2 actuators on each side. Hold it so you are looking at the ends of 2 actuators away from the manifold. You will see what is a piece of foam type material with 2 metal tabs bent over, take a pair of needle nose pliers and straighten these out. Now you want to wiggle this end piece with the foam out of the actuator, I had to use a small screwdriver to GENTLY pry this end piece up and out of the actuator. It is about an inch long, and on the end that fits inside you will find the little o'ring that needs changed. DO NOT TURN THE MANIFOLD OVER, THERE IS A SPRING AND PLUNGER IN THERE DON"T LOSE THEM. Take the old o'ring off and replace with a new one. I sprayed a little silicone on my fingers and wiped around the new o'ring to help seat it back in. DO NOT USE PETROLEUM BASED GREASE OR OILS TO LUBRICATE THE O"RINGS. You want this clean and no oil on it when back in.

With the new o'ring installed, insert this back into the actuator and push down until o'ring is inserted back into the chamber, it will be a tight fit. I got them in as far as I could with my fingers, then used the handle of a small screwdriver to finish seating it. Rebend the tabs over like they were and you are finished with that one. I recommend doing all 4 actuators as I found one o'ring brittle and the obvious one leaking, it came out easier than the others.
If you do them all, it may save you some problems down the road.

If you have trouble getting the new o'rings to seat all the way, just take your time, they will work, just keep using gentle pressure and all will seat. When you are finished with all 4, mount the assembly back on the control head bottom with the 10 phillips screws and don't forget to plug the wire back on
the circuit board.
Install back in the dash and check all functions to ensure they all work before buttoning up. Sit back and enjoy that blast of cold air from the vents,and be proud, you just saved a bundle of money.

I have tried to explain this as best I can, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. It really is a simple fix, takes about an hour and a half and that includes removing and reinstalling the unit in the dash for me.
Above all, take your time and do not break anything, I have no idea where parts would be available.

devilsrighthand, aka Mike
Where would I find the thin foam for the end? My is the original and appears to be dry rotted.
thanks

Old 07-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks for posting this fix as it was quite easy to follow and saved me some serious cash. I would like to know if there is a fix for my remaining problem. After installing the new o-rings and reinstalling the ETAC I found the floor, defrost, floor/defrost and Max a/c (vent) worked fine. The vent and vent/defrost however still defaulted to the defrost.

I'm fine for now as I have a/c keeping the cab cooled down but come winter my only heat will be the defrost.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 09-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Another success story. Thanks everyone for your help.

I had the same problem as Stens02150SC. My truck was purchased at an auction. Everything blew through the front panel, no matter what was selected. I checked, and there was a Bic pen propping the door open, so everything blew through the front. I removed the pen, replaced the EATC o-rings, and now everything works perfectly.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump
I needed this thread but it was on page 5.
I think page 1 is a better place for it. lol

Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took the climate control from an 01 apart. It is assembled with spot welds instead of screws. I put it back together without fixing it because it is in a DD and still works somewhat. Has anyone else figured out how to take a newer one apart without cutting it up?

Old 05-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Many thanks to Devilsrighthand for posting this. I had the same problem plagueing(sp?) me for over a year. 4 X $0.79 cents later and I have a functioning AC system once more- perfect before our 100 degree days start here in Texas.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSC053891.JPG

Old 05-12-2013, 05:38 PM
To the OP: How did you discover this fix? What led you to say "I will take this thing out and see if I can fix it?"
I know this is off topic, but now that I have this fixed does anyone know why my cruise control works sometimes and not others? If I shift into drive and take off and my doors do NOT auto-lock I know that cruise control will not work. Maybe someone can point me to a thread that addresses this problem. TIA

Old 05-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the awesome write up....changing the orings fixed it....it was only $0.93 for all four total and 1 hour of my time.....

Quick Reply: EATC is Rebuildable