Can you upgrade to automatic climate control

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you upgrade to automatic climate control

I have the manual A/C with the turn dials, noticed how slick a friends automatic system is on the Lariat(mines XLT). Can you buy that unit and swap the wires over and convert mine or is it too much trouble.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think you should be able to swap straight over. I would see if you can pull your buddies out of his truck and plug it into yours. If it works then go ahead and get one. There is only a trim piece that surrounds the ac unit and radio that needs to be pulled off and 4 bolts. With ten min of work you would have a definite answer with no speculation. Hope this helps

Old 08-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by 05_sprcrw
I would think you should be able to swap straight over. I would see if you can pull your buddies out of his truck and plug it into yours. If it works then go ahead and get one. There is only a trim piece that surrounds the ac unit and radio that needs to be pulled off and 4 bolts. With ten min of work you would have a definite answer with no speculation. Hope this helps
Good idea, it is a female friend of mine who just signed on the truck yesterday.
Now if I can just talk her into letting me take apart her new truck

Old 08-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Yes you should be able to, but why? The manual system is much easier and will probably give you years of trouble free operation whereas the auto climate is all computer controlled.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:11 AM

i want the look of the Fx4 's brushed aluminum in my lariat, but it has the turn dials. i know theres overlay kits probably but i wouldnt be the same

Old 08-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by wreedKR
Yes you should be able to, but why? The manual system is much easier and will probably give you years of trouble free operation whereas the auto climate is all computer controlled.
In test driving my friends truck I just set the temperature to what I wanted and it controlled everything else. With mine I was trying to get away from having to constantly mess with it to find the ideal temperature. Seems like I am having to adjust it every 5 minutes

Old 08-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Yep you are correct, that is about the only nice thing about it!

Old 08-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
let me know if it works!!! I would like that feature as well. Im constantly adjusting my controls.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Any word on this? I'm interested in doing this to my XLT as well. I have remote start, and if I could just set the temperature to say 70 "Auto" year round...when I start it in the winter it will know to heat, and in the summer, to put out A/C. I'll never have to remember to set the controls before I get out of the truck in preparation for the next start.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by scott1981
In test driving my friends truck I just set the temperature to what I wanted and it controlled everything else. With mine I was trying to get away from having to constantly mess with it to find the ideal temperature. Seems like I am having to adjust it every 5 minutes
WWWWAAAAAAHHHHH !!!! Sorry, couldn't resist bud !!

I am with WreedKR on this one. At least with Mercedes, the auto climates tend to become a PITA after awhile, where the manual ones tend be far less problematic. It might be just me, but I went LOOKING for the manual A/C and manual seats. XLT is the way to go !

Old 09-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Y'all don't realize how complicated the swap is. You basically have to tear the entire dash apart, and either modify your current HVAC system/harness to make the electronic version work, or pay out the *** to replace your current system w/ the electronic HVAC system. It is not a simple, remove the dial dashpiece, and plug in the automatic digital display dashpiece ordeal.

In the end, you'd be left with a system that is less reliable than the one you currently have, and a huge hole in your *** pocket.

Honestly, this is not a DIY job for 75% of shade tree mechanics.

Last edited by minimonster17; 09-05-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by minimonster17
Honestly, this is not a DIY job for 75% of shade tree mechanics.
Might be surprised what can be done under the shade of a tree !

I get what your saying though, and yes, it is far more complicated then just switching face plates, but it isn't rocket science. I do think you nailed it on the head though,

In the end, you'd be left with a system that is less reliable than the one you currently have, and a huge hole in your *** pocket.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Old 07-16-2014, 01:08 PM
I have opposite question how difficult would it be to convert my electronic climate control over to manual. I am having issues with mine after accidently installing a flasher into the heater relay spot next to it. I went to junk yard to get a new module but there was no F150 Navigator or expeditions available. I picked one up from a Lincoln town car but it doesnt seem to work.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:26 PM
A lot. You pretty much have to swap dash guts to a lower trim level truck.

Quick Reply: Can you upgrade to automatic climate control