Old 04-13-2015, 01:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Blend door replacement with pictures
http://www.f150online.com/forums/hva...-pictures.html
ISSUE
’97-’02 F150’s and Expygators temperature blend doors are breaking. This is a labor intensive Do-It-Yourself guide with pictures and details

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

Blend door replacement with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it the same ordeal to change the blend door on my 06 f150? I replaced the blend door actuator and found no changes. So I became curious and stuck my finger where the rod for the blend door actuator goes only to find out I can't seem to find the blend door. It seems to have fallen out of place so I'm hoping to drop my dash in order to replace the blend door. I just need to know if these steps will work because it doesn't seem like an easy task to drop the dash. Although I have found a site called heatertreater.net and hope that that will work! If anyone can give any advice I would be greatly appreciative!!

Old 08-23-2012, 02:01 PM
I just wanted to let you know there are some cheaper options out there for this repair. Namely, you can find DIY kits online and install them yourself or take them to a mechanic. I had a HeaterTreater kit installed and it has been going strong for 2 years. Their fix does not require dash removal and includes instrucitons and online videos of the repair. Furthermore, I am pretty incompetent when it comes to working on cars, and they directed me to an affiliate mechanic. Great experience and I saved a ton.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Having same problems

My Blend door actually will work but only after continually manipulating the Temp control switch from hot to cold (or the reverse) for 20 minutes or more. I have 2 questions. 1) does this situation most likely indicate a problem with the Switch, or the actuator motor? 2) does the blend door shaft often split or break with normal usage, or is is most often damaged during a heater core replacement rather than just normal wear and tear?

Old 11-12-2012, 01:55 PM
vent door

My actuator motor is good so I can only assume that the door is screwed. I can turn the door pin from the bottom but the fact that it moves up and down leads me to believe its broken free of the door. However, I would think if it were broken free it should turn a full 360 but it only turns back and forth about what I figure it should with the door attached!

Since this is a beater of a truck I'd be quite happy if I could just set the door for heat in winter then cold in summer. Could I just drill a hole in the heater box and get at the door with a wire or something? Is the door spring-loaded? And looking at the pictures, which position is which for heat or cold?

I'm quite sure its not a plugged core 'cause both hoses are the same temp.

Thanks !

Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The area where the door actuatorconnects with the stem of the door cracks open. The best repair kit comes with a bushing that surrounds this area and reinforces it. It takes a little bit of carving of the plastic to make room for it. Easily done though.

A video from Heater Treater

http://www.heatertreater.net/indextech.html#window
http://www.heatertreater.net/f150video.html

Last edited by papa tiger; 11-13-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:02 PM
I this were the case then the door could be opened or closed by hand once the actuator is removed. This doesn't seem to be the case. There is heat in the box, if I put my hand up inside the floor vent I can feel heat.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sometimes the blend door comes off its hinge by breakage and is frozen open or partly open. Cutting away the backof the glove box and opening up the heater by following the video is the cheapest way to find out. It takes a dremmel tool and some patience. Also cleaning the evap core of cotton tree/dandolion lint is easy to do.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Question Help

Hi Quintin? I have a 2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD. The air conditioning stopped blowing to the floor and dash a while back. Summer is here so I thought to inspect and fix. I have figured out that the air conditioning is working fine just that the blend doors are not working. I can reach under the dash and push and pull the plunger that opens the door and it will blow to the floor and dash but it will not stay. Is this a vacuum problem or a motor problem or something else. I press the button on the unit face but it only blows from the defrost no matter which selection I make. Also will I have to disassemble and remove the entire dash to fix/repair this?

Old 07-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by leverock
Hi Quintin? I have a 2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD. The air conditioning stopped blowing to the floor and dash a while back. Summer is here so I thought to inspect and fix. I have figured out that the air conditioning is working fine just that the blend doors are not working. I can reach under the dash and push and pull the plunger that opens the door and it will blow to the floor and dash but it will not stay. Is this a vacuum problem or a motor problem or something else. I press the button on the unit face but it only blows from the defrost no matter which selection I make. Also will I have to disassemble and remove the entire dash to fix/repair this?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Blend Door Replacement Alternative-a few years ago I replace my blend door on my 1998 F150-without removing the dash-this is how...open-up the glove box-2 plastic retainers on each side of the glove box can be pushed to release and fully open and drop the glove box. I used a dremel type tool to cut the black box about 6" by 10", get as close as you can to the center of the dash. I was then able to remove the defective door and replace it with the new one. It was a bit uncomfortable, but I got it done. I used a fiberglass cloth and resin to re-seal the plastic I cut off and re-set the glove box. The back of the glove box completely covers the area I worked on. The new motor or actuator I replaced from the front, it pretty much almost sits on the floor of the truck behind the black housing under the dash, that was easy enough. Hope this info. helps

Old 08-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by techdispatch
Blend Door Replacement Alternative-a few years ago I replace my blend door on my 1998 F150-without removing the dash-this is how...open-up the glove box-2 plastic retainers on each side of the glove box can be pushed to release and fully open and drop the glove box. I used a dremel type tool to cut the black box about 6" by 10", get as close as you can to the center of the dash. I was then able to remove the defective door and replace it with the new one. It was a bit uncomfortable, but I got it done. I used a fiberglass cloth and resin to re-seal the plastic I cut off and re-set the glove box. The back of the glove box completely covers the area I worked on. The new motor or actuator I replaced from the front, it pretty much almost sits on the floor of the truck behind the black housing under the dash, that was easy enough. Hope this info. helps
Correct!
Doorman sells a "revised" blend door. Install instructions can be found here: http://www.rockauto.com/info/RB/902-220_IS.PDF

Old 09-25-2014, 12:08 AM
blend door motor, 2002 sable

Originally Posted by Quintin
The parts used...

XL3Z-19E616-AB is the blend door actuator itself. I think it might be different on trucks with manual temperature control though, so check with your friendly neighborhood Ford or Lincoln-Mercury store before using this part number for sure. Also, before teardown, if the motor still runs set it to half way temperature (70-80 degrees W/EATC) since it eases removal and installation of the new door. YL7Z-19D963-BA is the blend door.

The actuater works, so I was told blend door motor is bad! Isnt the actuator the motor that runs the door?
Tearing the dash out is a Big job for back yard guy, any quick fix ideas? The computer test shows erroe code 24, 25. What do you think ?

Old 12-08-2014, 11:14 AM
I have a 2010 f150 with extra care warranty. Anyone know if this blend doore repair is covered under this warranty. They told me its not. and will cost $500

Old 12-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mitzo
I have a 2010 f150 with extra care warranty. Anyone know if this blend doore repair is covered under this warranty. They told me its not. and will cost $500
Welcome to the forum, mitzo. Dealerships are in the best position to determine coverage under your warranty. How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal

Old 12-08-2014, 01:48 PM
i have 62k miles on it, bought it used in 2012 with 40k miles on it so the factory warranty was gone. Bought the extra care and i just called them. So apparently, it is not cover under the Extra nor the Premium care. Bummer. These warranty are such rip offs.

Quick Reply: Blend door replacement with pictures