2011 Head unit with sync - smoking

Old 12-06-2016, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Head unit with sync - smoking

My head unit started smoking last night. Blew the fuse out. I took dash apart to access it, installed new fuse and it smoked again. It seemed to trying to activate CD's. I removed the CD's, reinstalled plugs and another fuse, only to smoke some more and another 20 amp use.

What are my options?
What happens to my SYNC if I install a used head unit?
What are aftermarket options that work with Sync?

Thanks!!

Old 12-15-2016, 07:05 PM
it appears my rear door wiring harness is broken, does anybody think this could be related to by radio frying?

Old 02-09-2017, 03:59 PM
well, been a little bit since I followed up....

Original Factory Head Unit fried in my 2011 Larriet Super Crew 4x4 . I believe because of a short in the rear door wiring harness ($75.00 fix). The Super Crews have an issue with door wiring harness and they do cause shorts in the windows and or head units.

After replacing harness and installing third Head Unit (OEM), still had issues with value control. Volume control was locked on a high vol setting. Made yet another return trip to Dealer and learned that original Head Unit needed to be downloaded and then an upload had to happen fro the replaced Head Unit to work.

Head Unit cost about $325.00. Download was $90.00. Rear door wiring harness $75.00. I did replacement, so no labor charges there. Lessons learned, not even Dealer understands what is needed. If they seem clueless, have them reach out to Ford.

Best Wishes!!

Search this Thread