Backup camera install

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backup camera install

Getting a new head unit that is supposedly plug and play along with a back camera I will install myself. Is there any link anyone knows of to a good set of instructions on how to install a simple backup camera?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 PM
NO link but I can tell you how I did mine.
Run RCA cable from HU to rear of truck.
Run reverse sensing wire from HU to rear of truck
Tap into the back up light wire at the driver side frame rail (rear)
mount camera
Hook up power and ground to harness at drivers rear frame rail
Hook up RCA to camera

My Pioneer 3200 has the capability to operate rear view at any time, along with automatically turning on when placed in reverse. This setup works perfectly.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks! I need a little more specificity if you have the time. How did you get from the HU to the rear? Did you go through the firewall and back along the frame?

And when you say tap into power at drivers sider rear frame rail, what power source are you tapping into and what color wire?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:01 PM
As far as getting to the rear from the inside....
Remove the kick panel on the driver side
Remove the sill plate cover
There is a wire harness there that you can pick up the reverse lights from if you'd like but there are quite a few wires there that are the same color. so I went to the rear to prevent having to probe all of those wires.
You will see a large rubber grommet that goes through the floor. The wiring harness in the truck goes in it. Just make another hole and run your RCA and trigger wire through it. I zip tied the wires to the harness that runs along the frame rail.
When you get to the rear, you will see a plug right at the back of the frame rail. You're towing harness (if you have one) will be plugged in right there.
The back up wire is black with a pink stripe
The power is orange
I went straight to the body with the ground.
It took me about an hour to get everything hooked up. This included having to remove the stereo from the dash to plug in the RCA cable

Old 03-10-2011, 10:19 PM
How long of an RCA cable did u use? Did u wire up your camera to constant power? I am looking at the pioneer 3300bt and want to be able to turn the camera on by shifting into reverse and via camera icon on the head unit. But I wasnt sure how to hook the power up to the camera especially if I get a camera with an led light. Any help would
Be greatly appreciated

Old 03-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Aaronh7
How long of an RCA cable did u use? Did u wire up your camera to constant power? I am looking at the pioneer 3300bt and want to be able to turn the camera on by shifting into reverse and via camera icon on the head unit. But I wasnt sure how to hook the power up to the camera especially if I get a camera with an led light. Any help would
Be greatly appreciated
I used the cable that came with the camera... it was 5M. As far as hookup, I did it EXACTLY like I stated in my previous post. The camera power is on a switched lead. It comes on when the key is on. The HU has a reverse wire and automatically comes on in reverse. I can also turn it on from the HU at any time.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:00 AM
I didn't know there was a key hot power wire at the back of the truck. That should make things a bit easier

Old 03-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Yes, It is an orange wire headed to the 4/7 pin trailer plug in. White is the ground and it goes to a bolt on the frame, that is where I grounded and powered my camera. On my 2010 it is attached at the rear on the drivers side almost above the spare or you could just trace the wires back from your plug. I used a 15 ft cable and about 10 ft of wire loom so the wire would not be exposed and looks cleaner. My camera is always on and is a ccd with night vision. I picked it up at Tadi brothers, just google it. It has a very clear picture and wide angle. It was a little more expensive than others but is built sold out of aluminum and is one of the better on the market.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Hopefully mine gas the hot wire back there. It is an 04. How does that work with your camera being on all the time with night vision? In Illinois I would get a ticket for having the white LEDs on my back bumper

Old 03-21-2011, 04:39 PM
They are IR for the night vision so no actual light being emmited. The picture at night is almost like a black/white with the night vision. It is really clear, more than I thought. I have seen some with the IR built around the camera but mine is built into the lens.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by RES4CUE
They are IR for the night vision so no actual light being emmited. The picture at night is almost like a black/white with the night vision. It is really clear, more than I thought. I have seen some with the IR built around the camera but mine is built into the lens.
I wish I would have known that a few days ago. I ordered a camera without night vision because I thought they were led. Oh well I guess if it doesn't work it was only 20$

Old 03-23-2011, 01:31 AM
I paid $100 for mine, I was going to go cheaper but decided that I wanted a nice camera and did research on all sorts of reverse cameras and found the one I wanted.

It is nice and has aluminium construction, it is really clear and has a great pic at night.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

can you put up a pic of what the cam looks like ? also the whare you have the cam installed.. thanks
Originally Posted by RES4CUE
I paid $100 for mine, I was going to go cheaper but decided that I wanted a nice camera and did research on all sorts of reverse cameras and found the one I wanted.

It is nice and has aluminium construction, it is really clear and has a great pic at night.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 AM
got my camera in last night. i ran my trigger wire and hooked it up to the hu but not to the reverse lights yet. i turned on the radio to test the unit manually and it worked. after a few minueted the radio keeps switching back into camera mode though. i am wondering if i have a direct short in my trigger wire that is grounding the radio and telling it to turn on the camera?

Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 PM
http://www.tadibrothers.com/Products/View/SKU29203

I have it mounted on the top portion of my plate. It is adjustable.

What trigger wire? I had a ground to frame, pos to hot on trailer wiring, and an RCA to HU. I have a reverse wire that is supposed to go to reverse sensor so when put in reverse it switches but did not hook it up. I have a buton that I push to switch to camera on the HU.

Quick Reply: Backup camera install