"HOW TO" install Double Din unit in 2003 F150

Old 12-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"HOW TO" install Double Din unit in 2003 F150

MODS--PLEASE MAKE THIS A STICKY!!

Ok guys, I got my deck installed. Thanks for all the quick replies when I got stuck a couple of times!

This is a HOW TO on installation of a double din deck in a 2003 1.5 Din F150.
My truck is a 2003 Lariat FX4. The deck I will be installing is a Pioneer AVH-P3200 DVD unit. I got it online shipped to my door for $225!!!

DISCONNECT YOUR NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE!!

First, here's a pic of the boring factory Cd/cassette unit.

Next, you need to have a Ford radio removal tool, OR make your own like I did out of a clothes hanger!

Pull the oval dash straight out, and in my case, disconnect the 4x4 plug.

This is what you will have.

Once the dash is out of the way, use your homemade removal tool and remove the factory radio.

Disconnect the wire harnesses and radio antenna.

Now, I'm using the Metra kit, and it's instructions advised to remove the HVAC..so I did that to have a little more room.

Just unplug the wire harnesses from the HVAC as well.

Here are some angles.

Ok, now I took my Pioneer and held it up to the opening to see how much I would have to cut. I took a flat screwdriver and made a score mark to go by.

Now I started with a Dremel with a cutting bit.

Here's the progress.

Then I switched to a sanding bit when I got closer. I still kept putting the pioneer up and trying to make score marks.

I had to remove this factory bracket that's held in with a few 10mm bolts.

Now, you will have to loosen a few dash screws to get that bracket out.

Here's some rough fits.

Now, I find it a lot easier to do the wire harness INSIDE of your nice warm (or cool) cozy home/garage/etc.etc. So that's what I did as far as connecting the wire harnesses. This Pioneer is a DVD unit and I did not want to have to depress the parking brake everytime I wanted to view a video. So I did the BYPASS; I followed this You Tube video to a tee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGZEZrUdRo

It's pretty self-explanatory. Just FYI...the black ground from the RELAY and the black ground from the wire harness adapter were put together. The Pioneer harness has another ground for chassis. Here's a quick pic of the harness in the truck.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:52 PM

Now, like I was saying, the Pioneer has a chassis ground lead that looks like this.

I had to cut it and make a longer lead and fish it through the dash to where I could find some metal. Everything inside the dash is plastic. I found a spot under the parking brake.

I ran the wire under the carpet over to the parking brake.

I added the Pioneer connector and bolted it back down.

I hooked the wire harness and radio antenna into the deck and put it in place. Then I reconnected the negative battery cable. I wanted to check out the wiring and make sure everything worked while I still have the dash apart.

It works on CDs

And it works on DVDS!!

And the RELAY WORKS!!!!!!!! Here you can see I am in "DRIVE" and the movie is on!

Now you just have to put the dash back together! Again, I used the Metra kit. The outer bezel is ok. I have a slight gap at the bottom of the unit, about 1/8". I don't know if it is just this kit or if all of the would be like this. It took me awhile to get everything lined back up. I'm probably just gonna live with it.
Here are the pics:

the gap

Finished

Overall, this isn't too bad a process. I've installed many single din decks before..which are easier as you have the metal bracket that you secure and then you just slide the deck in until it "clicks". This is my first Double Din unit. The cutting wasn't bad; I just had the Dremel on low (15000 RPMS) and went slow and kept test fitting! Once I got close, i switched to the sanding bit which was nice as you could have a pretty straight line as long as you didn't put too much pressure.

I'm happy with the results as my stereo is "alive" now compare to the crappy factory. I'd recommend a dvd unit; especially this Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD. I have multiple options at my disposal: DVD, CD, Ipod, USB, SD card!!! I haven't tried a backup movie yet...but I'm sure it will play DVD+-R's just fine. There's even a vid on You Tube where it DOES accept 32GB SD cards..I think it just has to be a class 2 card. Well, I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial. I wanted to update it as the other one is around 3 years old. ---------DirtySCREW

Old 12-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Great write up! Nice job on the 1.5 to the double din. If you read the screen where the OK button is, you will see what i was saying about the pulse on the parking brake. I went back to mine and tried the relay again..... same message "it is unlawful to observe movies while vehicle is in motion". I also then tried moving the ground from the head unit to the body. Still the same. My relay clicked once, I had continuity on the terminals and the parking brake wire was grounded. I still had the same message.
One thing I did notice was that the unit came on (all lighting) then the relay clicked. Then I tried the DVD and got the message. I unplugged the parking brake wire from the relay and plugged it back in and it worked..... but only that one time.
As soon as I shut the unit off, it had the same warning screen again. I plugged my switch back in and it works perfectly. I leave the switch in the on position and then just flip it off and back on and it works perfectly.
This feature doesn't affect the operation of the audio portion of the HU..... just the playback of DVD and the use of the navigation (added) while in motion.
The unit does EVERYTHING you would expect it to do and then some! Highly customizable sound with the graphic EQ. Customizable back light, home screen, splash screen, sub controls, rear camera controls and is Sat radio and HD radio ready.
The AVIC-U220 Nav unit is outstanding and it is a seamless integration with the head unit.
I also added the SWI jack for my steering wheel controls. Looks like a complete factory install. Planning on adding the backup camera within the next couple of weeks. I found a nice camera that mounts on the rear license plate for under $100. It will make it a lot easier to hook up to my trailers.
Once again, GREAT JOB on your install!

Old 12-04-2010, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the compliments. That's weird on your unit. I just press "OK" when that screen comes up and the DVD plays.---DirtySCREW

Old 12-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by DirtySCREW
Thanks for the compliments. That's weird on your unit. I just press "OK" when that screen comes up and the DVD plays.---DirtySCREW
My problem isn't on that screen where the OK button is..... it is on the other screen that says its prohibited by law. It won't even let me get to the OK screen! LOL. It's ok though...... that little switch works perfectly!

Old 12-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
FWIW there are a couple factory ground bolts (marked with green paint) on the trans tunnel up against the drivers foot well, behind that plastic bottom dash piece.

I like the new radio surround, hows the color matching?

Old 12-04-2010, 08:03 PM

It's pretty good I think. I didn't know about those bolts. I was frustrated cause everything inside the dash is plastic. There is one metal bracket that I was gonna put it to, but I couldn't find any bolts that would fit. I saw the bolt on the parking brake assembly and went with that. I'm sure there are easier ways...but it works for me---DirtySCREW

Old 12-06-2010, 03:36 AM
Couple points.
1. Butt connectors should not be used in a Mobile Environment! They are known to come disconnected and can be dangerous to the vehicle and or the radio when floating around in the dash.
2. SOLDER!!!!!
3. When splicing into the Pk. Brake make sure that is a solid connection again SOLDER.
4. The gap was because when the hole was made you were a 1/16th too high or otherwise it wouldve been an even gap the entire way around. Its been done before no big deal.

But congrats on the install glad it worked for you. It takes a bit of time the first time you do this to your F150. But on the next vehicles it takes 10-15 min tops to get it cut out and fit in there right. Most people wouldnt have had the *****. Congrats.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
Couple points.
1. Butt connectors should not be used in a Mobile Environment! They are known to come disconnected and can be dangerous to the vehicle and or the radio when floating around in the dash.
2. SOLDER!!!!!
3. When splicing into the Pk. Brake make sure that is a solid connection again SOLDER.
4. The gap was because when the hole was made you were a 1/16th too high or otherwise it wouldve been an even gap the entire way around. Its been done before no big deal.

But congrats on the install glad it worked for you. It takes a bit of time the first time you do this to your F150. But on the next vehicles it takes 10-15 min tops to get it cut out and fit in there right. Most people wouldnt have had the *****. Congrats.
Low-----I'm SURE you know a heck of a lot more than I do when it comes to car audio. However, every single deck I have ever installed I have used butt connectors and have never had a problem.
I would solder....but I don't really know how. I've tried a couple of times and it looks pathetic and I normally burn myself somehow--LOL!
Thanks for the tip about me cutting a tad too high. I think I should have swapped over to the sanding disc a little bit sooner! But it works for me!-----Thanks for all the compliments guys----DirtySCREW

Old 12-06-2010, 09:13 PM
i installed my 3200-dvd today in about 45 minutes. I made a relay just like the one in the youtube video and it works perfectly. Also my wiring harness adapter that plugged into my trucks harness was already grounded. Just plug the relay ground wire and the two black wires from the radio and harness together.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Oh and next time ground the HU to the ground wire of the vehicle harness. The screw down terminal already on Pioneers ground wire is actually for vehicles like Nissans that do not ground via a ground wire.

Ive can count 35+ vehicles that butts have cause problems in just without thinking. They really are a problem. Good luck hope it works but learn to solder it will definately be a skill that is useable down the road. (Trick one get a gun that can actually get hot. Those pencils are only for PCB boards. Otherwise use a 110w gun.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "HOW TO" install Double Din unit in 2003 F150