2004 F150 Lariat - Help With Audio Upgrade (Steering Wheel Controls)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 F150 Lariat - Help With Audio Upgrade (Steering Wheel Controls)

I currently own a 2004 Lariat (which I absolutely love! I might add). Anyway I currently have the stock 6-CD radio system. A couple questions for the masses...(pardon my ignorance - not an expert)

1) I would like to add one of the double din hybrid head units from Best Buy or Circuit City that have a clean flat touch display, integrated GPS, DVD support, support for ipod/mp3s, etc. Problem is that I would hate to give up my steering wheel audio controls...I assume there are no after-market units that support the audio controls?? Any suggestions on units (assuming I choose to lose the steering wheel control?)

2) Is it possible to head to my local ford dealer and have the latest audiophile stock unit put in that supports ipod, integrated GPS, satellite radio, etc.? I assume they could support my steering wheel controls, and be a direct replacements. Any ideas on what this costs (if its possible?)

3) My current head unit has a aux button that says not active when I press it. Does this mean there is a aux input on the back that I could plug satellite/ipod feed into? Just curios if I decide a cheaper route...

Thanks in advance for help and dialog. I got gift card from wife for Christmas that is planned to support audio upgrade for our truck. Trying to decide on best approach

Old 01-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Try Crutchfield or Logjamelectronics.com;there are adapters/convertors out there that will allow you to use the steering wheel controls.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by ecloomis
I currently own a 2004 Lariat (which I absolutely love! I might add). Anyway I currently have the stock 6-CD radio system. A couple questions for the masses...(pardon my ignorance - not an expert)

1) I would like to add one of the double din hybrid head units from Best Buy or Circuit City that have a clean flat touch display, integrated GPS, DVD support, support for ipod/mp3s, etc. Problem is that I would hate to give up my steering wheel audio controls...I assume there are no after-market units that support the audio controls?? Any suggestions on units (assuming I choose to lose the steering wheel control?)

2) Is it possible to head to my local ford dealer and have the latest audiophile stock unit put in that supports ipod, integrated GPS, satellite radio, etc.? I assume they could support my steering wheel controls, and be a direct replacements. Any ideas on what this costs (if its possible?)

3) My current head unit has a aux button that says not active when I press it. Does this mean there is a aux input on the back that I could plug satellite/ipod feed into? Just curios if I decide a cheaper route...

Thanks in advance for help and dialog. I got gift card from wife for Christmas that is planned to support audio upgrade for our truck. Trying to decide on best approach

I have this same truck ec... I have the Pioneer Avic D3. PAC has an interface that allows you to use your steering wheel controls(I am quite fond of mine too). Its depends on what HU you buy to what part number you need. Mine is PAC SWI-PS which is for Pioneer and Sony units. As far as your factory radio, there are all kinds of interface modules, Periphal,PAC,etc., but there is not just a place on the back of the radio to plug into. Hope this helps you.

Last edited by shaper875; 01-22-2008 at 01:30 AM.

Quick Reply: 2004 F150 Lariat - Help With Audio Upgrade (Steering Wheel Controls)