5.0 ecoboost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 10:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
5.0 ecoboost?

With ford adding direct injection to the coyote 5.0 in 2018 there is speculation the next generation GT 500 will also add twin turbos to the coyote essentially making a 5.0 ecoboost. Also according to the rumor mill, this combo makes 740 hp and they are capable of 10.98 quarter mile times. There are a few videos on you-tube that support the rumors.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:12 PM

Well I did some digging around on you tube to get some more info and according to the easter eggs Ford planted in the press release photos, the 2018 dual injected 5.0 makes 455 hp and the New GT 500 engine makes 755 hp. There is a few pics of the new gauge cluster and they have a tach on the left and the speedo on the right and in the center of the tach there is a readout of what gear your in and there is a matching readout of your speed in the center of the speedo. Ford released two photos of that new cluster, and one shows fourth gear and 55 mph and the other shows 7th gear at 55 mph. Both show exactly 1964.5 miles on the odometer and 289 miles to empty.

Also the Rock Dwayne Johnson filmed a promo video at ford headquarters in Dearborn and during that video there is about 3 seconds of video that shows several photos on the wall that has a dark green mustang devoid of any badging with 5 spoke wheels with a polished lip and black centers and with 2018 being the 50th anniversary of the Bullit movie, there is speculation that this is going to be the new bullit.

Notice the black wheels and no 5.0 badge on the fender and the faux gas cap on the decklid panel with what appears to be the BULLIT script on it. On another photo there is a blacked out grill with no pony emblem. All of these little clues are just like the original bullit mustang from the movie.

Oh and I read on stang net that they found the #2 bullit car, in Mexico. They only used two cars for the movie and #1 was destroyed at the end of the chase scene when Steve McQueen put it in the ditch. Steve tried to buy #2 after the movie was completed but someone beat him to it. The current owner was going to take it up to Texas to have a Elanor conversion done to the car as he thought is was just a dark highland green mustang, a standard color in 1968. He got a Marti report done on the car and found out it was the missing bullit car from the movie, so now he is having it restored to the way it appeared in the movie. Oh and when it rolled off the line in 1968 it looked like any other 68 mustang gt 390 car. The studio changed the wheels and stripped off all the mustang emblems and engine size badges giving it that iconic bullit look.

And have you ever heard of a 67 GT 500 convertible? Probably not, I know I didn't, until I read this article http://www.mustangandfords.com/featu...g-of-them-all/
Short overveiw, the only GT500 convertible actually built by shelby american in California, also it was actually driven by Carrol Shelby himself. Also its the only 428 CJ dual quad car with factory air and the ONLY 67 shelby convertible ever built.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 03-10-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:36 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
It's just as likely the GT 500 will have a twin turbo Voodoo 5.2.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
It's just as likely the GT 500 will have a twin turbo Voodoo 5.2.
No, that motor would be horrible for forced induction. The volume of air that would have to be pumped to supply a 5.2L engine at 8,500 RPM would demand pretty big turbos. That would kill the low end torque and create a lot of turbo lag. It would not be something the factory would put out.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:19 PM

I'd have to agree with wookie on this one. If ford is bringing back the GT 500 it will more likely have a 5.0

The Gt 350's have always been more of a track car, hence the high winding small block engines. The 500's have been more of a street beast so they always got torque monster big blocks or supercharged 5.4's and 5.8's

If ford follows their pattern on ecoboost engines, I would expect the 5.0 EB to put out somewhere north of 700 ft lbs of torque and peaking around 2800-3000 rpm. They could do that while keeping the redline at or below 7500. Imagine driving something that has 700+ torque and 90% available around 2000 rpm. Ford would have to shoehorn the biggest tire they could find in the back just to get some traction on the street.

My Gt has only 400 lb ft of torque and I have 275's in the back and I struggle to get traction when I jump on it

Old 03-11-2017, 07:23 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news

Powertrain: It is all but guaranteed that Ford will equip the GT500 with a twin-turbocharged V-8 engine, as supercharging (used on the outgoing GT500) doesn’t blend with the company’s EcoBoost forced-induction strategy. But the question remains which V-8 the automaker will use. The Mustang GT’s 5.0-liter Coyote V-8 would seem to be as eligible as the GT350’s 5.2-liter Voodoo engine, itself a modified, freer-revving Coyote with a flat-plane crankshaft. Both engines have high compression ratios that might need to be lowered for forced induction. To fit Ford’s EcoBoost branding, which is assigned to its turbocharged direct-injected powerplants, either engine would need to switch from port injection to direct fuel injection.
We’re of the mind that twin-turbocharging the Voodoo is the more logical route for Ford to take. In naturally aspirated form, the 5.2-liter V-8 is already special; strap two turbos to its flanks, and it should deliver that extra dose of distinction the pricier and more exclusive GT500 model demands. Using the Voodoo V-8 for another model also will help Ford amortize the engine’s development costs with greater economies of scale—to date, the Voodoo is available only in the GT350—and it isn’t outside the realm of possibility for Ford to insert a twin-turbo V-8 into the second-generation F-150 Raptor pickup as a step up from the standard twin-turbocharged V-6. Regardless of which V-8 Ford decides to shove between the GT500’s front fenders, it likely will be crazy powerful and should eclipse the old GT500’s 662-hp rating with ease. Expect a manual transmission to be standard, while the same 10-speed automatic Chevrolet uses for the ZL1, a transmission co-developed with Ford, will be optional.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:36 PM
High revs and turbos don't mix very well in street cars. Even Ferrari dropped the redline quite a bit when they went from the 458 to the 488. If the turbo is sized big enough to work at 8,000+ it will be horrible on the bottom half of the tach, somewhere the 5.2 already is a little bit flat. If they're sized for earlier spool they will be outside of their efficiently range at the top of the tach. Then they will be putting out too much heat and detonation will be a problem. Changing the 5.2 to work as a turbo motor will eliminate the whole reason for the flat plane design but not the drawbacks to it.

I don't care what some writer for a car rag guesses. He's only thinking about using something already out there to limit costs, not how well it will actually work.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very informative story examining the 2018 F150 Diesel Engine Possibilities.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/examin...-possibilities

Here is a quote

2018 F150 Diesel –vs – Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
The most fuel efficient half ton truck sold in America right now is the Ram 1500 powered by the 3.0L EcoDiesel V6. That engine provides the Ram 1500 with 240 horsepower and 420lb-ft of torque while achieving 21mpg around town and 29mpg on the highway (rear wheel drive models only), so those are all figures which the Ford will plan to beat with their 2018 F150 diesel.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
5.0 with a supercharger just seem to fit the need and be a simple modification. a turbo seem a lot more complicated, unless ford has a long term goal for a turbo 5.0.

they could also install a 90 deg crank in the 5.2 and make a supercharged 5.2.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
they could also install a 90 deg crank in the 5.2
Ford racing already has the part https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6303-M52, along with the 5.2 block https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6010-M52 and the GT350 heads https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6050-M52 with cams https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6550-M52A that have the standard coyote firing order. Ford actually built a cross plane 90 deg 5.2 with the cobra jet intake and it made 582 hp in testing, they even showcased it at the PRI show in Indianapolis back in 2015. You could build that exact engine if you wanted as ford racing has all the parts available, but at list price it will run about 25K.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 03-22-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:46 AM
5.0 with a supercharger just seem to fit the need and be a simple modification. a turbo seem a lot more complicated, unless ford has a long term goal for a turbo 5.0.

they could also install a 90 deg crank in the 5.2 and make a supercharged 5.2.
Superchargers are going away for the most part. The turbo has much more potential and efficiency. Outside of Mopar products there really aren't many left on the market. Fuel economy numbers are a real issue and the turbo lets the manufacturer create low CAFE numbers but still have big power numbers. The .gov and customer are happy.

The complexity better the two isn't that great. The underhood layout of a turbo car can look a lot more complicated but in reality it's nothing more than air pipes and vacuum lines.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:10 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Both the 5.0 and the 5.2 exist in twin turbo Eco Boost form. Ford has been running test mules around with them in different platforms. I have no idea what will be in anything but the 5.2 bolted to the new 10 speed auto that Ford and GM made together would be a perfect match for the Mustang as well as the Raptor or F-150. I doubt the engine makes the right kind of torque for any heavy duty applications. Speaking of Heavy Duty, for the folks needing more truck than an F150 but don't want a Super Duty, there will be a heavy duty F150 with the Job 2 F150s complete with the 8 bolt rear axle. As I recall seeing it, it will be option 687. But, back to the engines, in the F 150 Ford expects to see only 28% fitted with the V8 engine. How many will upgrade to the hot rod will be a small number, probably less than 3%. I didn't see any numbers on the Mustang as it was at 2018 F 150 viewing that I got this info.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Wookie
Superchargers are going away for the most part. The turbo has much more potential and efficiency. Outside of Mopar products there really aren't many left on the market. Fuel economy numbers are a real issue and the turbo lets the manufacturer create low CAFE numbers but still have big power numbers. The .gov and customer are happy.

The complexity better the two isn't that great. The underhood layout of a turbo car can look a lot more complicated but in reality it's nothing more than air pipes and vacuum lines.
Also in mass production, a turbo setup is cheaper to build and implement than a supercharger.

And if you watch street outlaws, only 1 guy in the top ten has a supercharger setup on his car, the rest are either running turbos or nitrous.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
gm is still using the superchargers in the z06. zl1, ctsv and the zr1 corvette

turbo are great but the supercharger is far from dead

I love street outlaws is a fun show to watch, on any given day Daddy dave in his procharged car, chief in his turbo or Monza in his 750 ci no2 split bumper can win.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:24 AM

gm is still using the superchargers in the z06. zl1, ctsv and the zr1 corvette

turbo are great but the supercharger is far from dead

I love street outlaws is a fun show to watch, on any given day Daddy dave in his procharged car, chief in his turbo or Monza in his 750 ci no2 split bumper can win.
Ford has used both over the last 30+ years, remember the SVO mustang from 84-86, that had a turbo 2.3 liter four banger, the same engine was used again in the turbo coupe Thunderbird from 87-88. In 89 ford had the super coupe t-bird that had a supercharged v-6, then the terminator cobras for 03-04 and the lightnings from 99-04 and the gt500's from 07-14 all had superchargers.

I think in the end Ford will go turbo on the next GT500, they are less stressful on the engine and you can get more boost and more power out of a smaller engine.

I thought daddy Dave was running no2, Shane in the vega is running a procharger.