Wtf.....???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 06:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Wtf.....???

I always wonder what goes through someone's mind to do something like this to a vehicle:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Chevrol...NYuiMH&vxp=mtr

Old 03-04-2017, 08:47 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Mint original condition? More like Clean with ghetto mods........

Old 03-04-2017, 09:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What is this? Its on both tail lights

Old 03-04-2017, 09:17 PM
Blue Dots -- they were a very popular tail light modification on '50's era hot rods.....

Old 03-04-2017, 09:29 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Hey, back in the 50's fender skirts were the "IN" thing.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:10 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
J.C.Whitney calendar cover truck!!!

Old 03-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All joking aside, and I agree that by today's standards it looks hideous, but that *is* what a pickup truck was before the age of super crews and boxes too small to carry an 8' sheet of plywood.

Isn't it funny how when you see a standard cab truck with either a 6.5 or 8' box it looks so out of place? They've practically been relegated to the title of 'work truck', but that's what a pickup truck used to be.

As a plus, the bench seat made it easier for your girl to snuggle up close to you on a long drive :-)

Old 03-05-2017, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Wyseilmykkar_09
All joking aside, and I agree that by today's standards it looks hideous, but that *is* what a pickup truck was before the age of super crews and boxes too small to carry an 8' sheet of plywood.

Isn't it funny how when you see a standard cab truck with either a 6.5 or 8' box it looks so out of place? They've practically been relegated to the title of 'work truck', but that's what a pickup truck used to be.

As a plus, the bench seat made it easier for your girl to snuggle up close to you on a long drive :-)
I don't think anyone is dissing the truck itself -- it's the ridiculous modifications this guy did to it that we're gagging over. Talk about ordering every cheesy accessory you can find in the J.C. Whitney catalog and sticking it on your truck.....

An old adage -- sometimes "less" is more!

Old 03-05-2017, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Wyseilmykkar_09

Years ago you also had the gas tank behind the rear seat...not the safest place to have it. I had a '70 Chevy C-30 SRW work truck that had the Longhorn bed which was close to 9' in length. Big truck that did better with a load then empty. Ford came out with the F-150 Super Cab in the mid 70's and kind of started the large cab craze. I had a '84 F-150 XLT with the regular cab and 8' bed for 12 yrs and never thought I needed a larger cab. Needed the longer bed more. Regular cabs with the 8' bed are almost a special order truck now!

C-30 with Longhorn bed.

Last edited by PawPaw; 03-05-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by ddellwo
I don't think anyone is dissing the truck itself -- it's the ridiculous modifications this guy did to it that we're gagging over. Talk about ordering every cheesy accessory you can find in the J.C. Whitney catalog and sticking it on your truck.....

An old adage -- sometimes "less" is more!
That truck would be a trend setter in Honduras!!

Old 03-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by PawPaw

C-30 with Longhorn bed.

My old man drove almost an identical truck in the same color back in the '70's -- the only real difference is that it didn't have the center white stripe -- just the white roof. His was what I think they called the "Custom Camper" -- heavier rear suspension to handle the slide-in campers that were all the rage back in that era.

His was pretty decked out for the day -- A/C, tilt wheel, the higher-end interior with orange-and-black plaid seats, molded plastic door panels, etc. Back then (at least in Minnesota) it was extremely rare to see A/C in a pick-up truck!

Old 03-05-2017, 11:28 AM
My old man drove almost an identical truck in the same color back in the '70's -- the only real difference is that it didn't have the center white stripe -- just the white roof. His was what I think they called the "Custom Camper" -- heavier rear suspension to handle the slide-in campers that were all the rage back in that era.

His was pretty decked out for the day -- A/C, tilt wheel, the higher-end interior with orange-and-black plaid seats, molded plastic door panels, etc. Back then (at least in Minnesota) it was extremely rare to see A/C in a pick-up truck!
In 1969 and 1970 I worked for Bethlehem Steel in the oilfield supply division. We only used Chevy and Ford pickups. The first one I had was a '68 C-20 8' bed stepside and in 2 yrs it had 110,000 miles on it. Early 1970 we received a C-20 and a C-30 both in dark green. I took the C-30 because I worked in the office and handled the expense reports for these trucks. Not unusual to put 4 to 5K miles on these trucks every month so the miles went up quickly. Most had the 307 cube engines with manual trannys. Factory AC and a AM radio and that was it!

Old 03-05-2017, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by PawPaw
In 1969 and 1970 I worked for Bethlehem Steel in the oilfield supply division. We only used Chevy and Ford pickups. The first one I had was a '68 C-20 8' bed stepside and in 2 yrs it had 110,000 miles on it. Early 1970 we received a C-20 and a C-30 both in dark green. I took the C-30 because I worked in the office and handled the expense reports for these trucks. Not unusual to put 4 to 5K miles on these trucks every month so the miles went up quickly. Most had the 307 cube engines with manual trannys. Factory AC and a AM radio and that was it!
To be honest with you, I miss trucks like that -- simple, straightforward and honest vs. the "luxo-cruisers" they pass off as trucks in this day and age!

Old 03-05-2017, 01:25 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
To be honest with you, I miss trucks like that -- simple, straightforward and honest vs. the "luxo-cruisers" they pass off as trucks in this day and age!
That's why I like mine! It's not a complete stripper, it has A/C, cruise, tilt wheel, and a stereo. It also has cloth seats and carpet.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by glc
That's why I like mine! It's not a complete stripper, it has A/C, cruise, tilt wheel, and a stereo. It also has cloth seats and carpet.
I've always heard if you buy a basic or minimally equipped truck they will last the longest because of fewer things to go wrong. One of my great uncles had a '58 Chevy Apache to pull his boat. Only option I think it had was an AM radio! That truck ran forever even with me driving it a few times when I was 14 or 15 yrs old.

The little Chevy looked like this but in a battleship grey color with the spare mounted on the side of the bed. Uncle never could back up the boat to launch or get into the shed in the backyard...he was in his 60's at the time and some of my younger uncles would have to make sure they were around to help the old man out! He would then pull out his little flask of whiskey and sit to calm down.